2021-2022 AUS Thread

dm8895

V-Reds , McJesus Stan , Beer Leaguer
Apr 3, 2015
Freddy Beach
In all fairness, I don’t believe their main guy who does the majority of games is calling this one.

Honestly, I don’t need (or expect) anything too amazing…tell me what players are touching the puck and let me know when there is a penalty coming up and I’m content. These guys probably aren’t spending too much time doing pre-game research on the opposing teams.
That’s fair , I’m just pretty anal about the broadcasts haha. Plus as an AUS nerd I feel like I notice every comment that’s kind of iffy that they make haha

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
For a 2-1 game where neither team had more than 25 shots…UNB/X was a highly entertaining and intense game. A bit of a bad one for the GWG…but I’ll take it.

Reactions: Rob

dm8895

V-Reds , McJesus Stan , Beer Leaguer
Apr 3, 2015
Freddy Beach
So what’s the scouting report on Dal?
I’ve only seen them play the last 10 minutes of the game against UPEI the other night , on paper I can’t really grasp how they keep ripping off wins . I’m glad to see it , just curious what’s been the recipe to their success so far .

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
So what’s the scouting report on Dal?
I’ve only seen them play the last 10 minutes of the game against UPEI the other night , on paper I can’t really grasp how they keep ripping off wins . I’m glad to see it , just curious what’s been the recipe to their success so far .

They've won 3 games. UPEI and UdeM are not "given", but can be beaten. They won against SMU and UPEI by 1 goal. Not exactly "ripping off wins". I pick DAL and UdeM to be 6-7.

Edit: Further to this, DAL has improved over last season but so has everyone else. A bigger surprise has to be the play of ACA the past 2 games, giving up 12 goals. I'm sure they'll figure it out. They're basically one win from a 3rd place tie. A solid showing on the Island tonight should help.

Last edited:

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
80 min in penalties tonight during UNB's 2-1 win over Dal. Not necessarily rougher than usual. The refs were just calling everything. Included a few misconducts against players mouthing off. Reds scored in the first minute. Thought they might finally break out and have a high scoring game but it ended up being a nail biter. Good goaltending on both ends.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Moncton gets its first win. Down two nothing midway through the third they score three in under three minutes. X had Mann-Dixon in nets. Les Aigles had Montpetit for the second game in a row. Not sure if Samson is hurt or if Montpetit has just taken over as #1?

Acadia continue to have terrible first periods. Panthers all their goals in the first to win 3-0. Capriotti with the shutout. Paddock takes the loss. Panthers actually outshot the Axemen 28-21. Looks like they still have some injuries on D.

Campy

Jan 27, 2019
Moncton gets its first win. Down two nothing midway through the third they score three in under three minutes. X had Mann-Dixon in nets. Les Aigles had Montpetit for the second game in a row. Not sure if Samson is hurt or if Montpetit has just taken over as #1?

Acadia continue to have terrible first periods. Panthers all their goals in the first to win 3-0. Capriotti with the shutout. Paddock takes the loss. Panthers actually outshot the Axemen 28-21. Looks like they still have some injuries on D.

Montpetit has always been #1 for Moncton, if he's healthy he'll be in there for Les Aigles. Samson was in there while Montpetit was sidelined.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
AUS schedule
I noticed that UNB-Dal and UNB-X are scheduled to play back to back, next weekend in Antigonish/Halifax.
UNB, also playing 6 straight road games. That's a long stretch between home games?

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
AUS schedule
I noticed that UNB-Dal and UNB-X are scheduled to play back to back, next weekend in Antigonish/Halifax.
UNB, also playing 6 straight road games. That's a long stretch between home games?

Weird schedule this year. I don't recall back-to-back road weekends against the same teams before.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
You have UPEI at SMU on a Wed, ACA at UPEI on a Wed or UPEI at ACA on a Sun. Because UNB and UdeM are travel partners, UPEI has the weird schedule.

Reactions: FreddyFoyle

Island Husky

Sep 18, 2008
Kensington PEI

Well, Blaisdell is, hasn't been in for a few games, and he plays the most next to Headrick, but of the others, four of them are Junior A grads.

timbitca

Feb 15, 2007
JLL Press Box
AUS schedule

Weird schedule this year. I don't recall back-to-back road weekends against the same teams before.

You have UPEI at SMU on a Wed, ACA at UPEI on a Wed or UPEI at ACA on a Sun. Because UNB and UdeM are travel partners, UPEI has the weird schedule.

There are some weird bits to schedules in all sports this year. We're also a on an extended sequence of road games. Played DAL and X this weekend, going back to Nova Scotia next weekend to play... X and DAL. At least they changed the order around.

Our volleyball team plays Acadia for their season opener on the road next Saturday at 2PM. Then we play our home opener on Sunday, against Acadia. Then they go to Nova Scotia the weekend after for a game on Friday and Saturday, both against SMU. Go figure.

Reactions: AUS Fan and Rob

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
80 min in penalties tonight during UNB's 2-1 win over Dal. Not necessarily rougher than usual. The refs were just calling everything. Included a few misconducts against players mouthing off. Reds scored in the first minute. Thought they might finally break out and have a high scoring game but it ended up being a nail biter. Good goaltending on both ends.
Watching the video, that game was not near as close as the score would suggest. If UNB ever gets their power play clicking they will get some high scoring wins (not to take anything away from Hicks who made some great saves). On the other hand, their PK is still perfect, and defence wins championships. Next weekend will be interesting. Both X and Dal took the body to UNB, and one wonders if the REDS will be able to stick to the game plan or seek revenge. UNB is not a big team, and as solid as the players are they give up several inches to the big boys from X and Dal.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Watching the video, that game was not near as close as the score would suggest. If UNB ever gets their power play clicking they will get some high scoring wins (not to take anything away from Hicks who made some great saves). On the other hand, their PK is still perfect, and defence wins championships. Next weekend will be interesting. Both X and Dal took the body to UNB, and one wonders if the REDS will be able to stick to the game plan or seek revenge. UNB is not a big team, and as solid as the players are they give up several inches to the big boys from X and Dal.

Pretty impressive penalty kill at 100%. Power play is sixth in the conference though. Actually overall goal scoring they are middle of the pack.

VRedsRule

Aug 26, 2008
I was at the game and man, that reffing was very sub-standard in a league that doesn’t have high standards . Stick work was fair game all night. Not sure if that is the standard or exception with the two refs. Dal is a much better skating and conditioned team this year. They play physical and if refs aren’t calling stick work they will take advantage especially baker and Boucher. They played hard. They just lack the offensive studs.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I haven’t compared the numbers from previous seasons…but it seems as if goal scoring is down across the conference compared to usual.

You could probably argue the goaltending is as good as ever with every team having a legit top goalie who could steal a game on any given night.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Acadia over SMU 3-2 (ot) - Axemen scored first. Flodell with a good comeback game stopping 48 of 50.
Pretty uneventful game overall.

Last edited:

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Acadia over SMU 3-2 (ot) - Axemen scored first. Flodell with a good comeback game stopping 48 of 50.
Pretty uneventful game overall.
Watching the webcast, the game moved right along. Few whistles. Few penalties. I don't think there were any after the whistle scrums. Not much hitting. SMU's goals come off rushes, which still seems to be an issue for Acadia defence. Huskies carried most of the play in the game. Axemen were gifted with PP in OT - until then the OT was pretty even.

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
I was there last night. Flodell was very good and "stole" the game for the Axe. I agree that SMU certainly had a territorial advantage for most of the game. I didn't see the call in OT but the PP goal was well executed. Entertaining game to watch. SMU was missing Getson (1 gm suspension) and DeNoble (lower body). Stallard and Hinam both out for ACA.

Reactions: FreddyFoyle

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad