2021-2022 AUS Thread

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
That boxscore is a hot mess. Duplicate penalties and goals marked as PP that aren't. PP chances are definitely not right.
Just looking at it again…says X scored two power play goals nine seconds apart early in the 3rd period…but SMU didn’t take a penalty until there were 15 seconds left (and that was matching). Yeah, I think it needs cleaned up some.

Reactions: Campy

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Watched STFX defeat Acadia 2-1 tonight. First two periods were played pretty cautiously by both teams. Things didn't really open up until X took the lead early in the third. Watch X rookie Zack Trot. Have a feeling he is going to be a leading scorer in the league over the coming seasons.

UPEI beats Moncton 4-1 to earn three points this weekend. Capriotti started again in goal for the Panthers. Samson for Les Aigles.

Dal upsets SMU 4-3. When is the last time the Tigers beat the Huskies?

Campy

Jan 27, 2019
Just looking at it again…says X scored two power play goals nine seconds apart early in the 3rd period…but SMU didn’t take a penalty until there were 15 seconds left (and that was matching). Yeah, I think it needs cleaned up some.

SMU/ X boxscore from Friday appears now to have been cleansed.

Campy

Jan 27, 2019
Watched STFX defeat Acadia 2-1 tonight. First two periods were played pretty cautiously by both teams. Things didn't really open up until X took the lead early in the third. Watch X rookie Zack Trot. Have a feeling he is going to be a leading scorer in the league over the coming seasons.

UPEI beats Moncton 4-1 to earn three points this weekend. Capriotti started again in goal for the Panthers. Samson for Les Aigles.

Dal upsets SMU 4-3. When is the last time the Tigers beat the Huskies?

Saint Mary's at Dalhousie - February 8, 2020 - 7:00 PM - Box Score - Atlantic University Sport (AUS)
February 8, 2020

Reactions: Rob

dm8895

V-Reds , McJesus Stan , Beer Leaguer
Apr 3, 2015
Freddy Beach
Two in a row now for Dal.
Dal seem to have a little bit of giant killer in them.
Of their 8 wins last season, they got 1 win a piece against Acadia , SMU and X.
They also took UNB to overtime despite being outshot 54-20. Goaltending and a little luck can go a long way some times in this league.
I think they are still the #7 team but if teams discredit them and don’t show up they will make them pay.

Island Husky

Sep 18, 2008
Kensington PEI
The camera guy at the UPEI-UNB game is going to give me an epileptic seizure at this point..

Edit: he must be a lurker on here, second has been way better
Tonight with SFX same thing, and the Box Score from UPEI, lists every player on the program in the lineup, so you don't know who sat out. the other two games at Acadia and UNB go the extra mile, embarrassing, I live here.

dm8895

Apr 3, 2015
Freddy Beach
Tonight with SFX same thing, and the Box Score from UPEI, lists every player on the program in the lineup, so you don't know who sat out. the other two games at Acadia and UNB go the extra mile, embarrassing, I live here.
I can’t watch a UPEI webcast without thinking back to arguably the cringiest call in hockey history “Ma-ma-ma-ma-ma-Matt Carter” (think Lafontaine call with no emotion) , me and my brother laugh about it to this day. UPEI is bad , but Dals webcast is terrible , it’s like they don’t even attempt to give a damn.

Campy

Jan 27, 2019

Surely that box score will be cleansed, but the inattention to the actual dress list for the game makes keeping track of the 22 skater roster cap more difficult. You'd need to refer to the paper game sheets to see who was actually listed as participating. I know it's not right but according to the AUS website stats as it stands right now, UPEI has 24 skaters that have logged a game played.

dm8895

Apr 3, 2015
Freddy Beach
What a start to the AUS season, I can’t ever recall their ever being this much parity. In my pre season post the only two things I felt confident in was that UNB is still UNB and that Dal would be last.. Yes UNB is unbeaten , but they have not had anything that has resembled an easy game, and Dal has been the story of the first 2 weeks.
It’s still early , but this has been crazy, I’m thinking this might be a good year to get some friends who are “big hockey fans” out to some games ..

Reactions: Squirrel Forever

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
SMU gets its first win of the season. This is a talented but rookie laden team. Not a single 4th year player either. Giving up too many shots. Season still young though.

Les Aigles obviously remains the last team in the AUS without a win.

Probably has been answered already but it Brett Neumann injured?

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Talking about webcasts I think the most difficult to watch is the Dal webcast from the old forum. Camera angle is terrible. The bottom left corner of the rink is blocked out. Hopefully it won't be too long before they get that new rink.

Best are UNB, Acadia, STFX and SMU.

Reactions: AUS Fan

dm8895

Apr 3, 2015
Freddy Beach
Talking about webcasts I think the most difficult to watch is the Dal webcast from the old forum. Camera angle is terrible. The bottom left corner of the rink is blocked out. Hopefully it won't be too long before they get that new rink.

I must give credit , maybe my memory is off since it’s been a year and a half since I’ve watch a Dal home game online , announcing was better than I remember it being… I wish they had some fan support , the Forum is a relic , I’ve been to hundreds of rinks from minor hockey to modern NHL arenas and it will always be my favourite. Went to a Mooseheads playoff game their 7-8 years ago when curling was at Metro Center and it was an experience like no other .

timbitca

Feb 15, 2007
JLL Press Box
Surely that box score will be cleansed, but the inattention to the actual dress list for the game makes keeping track of the 22 skater roster cap more difficult. You'd need to refer to the paper game sheets to see who was actually listed as participating. I know it's not right but according to the AUS website stats as it stands right now, UPEI has 24 skaters that have logged a game played.

The box scores aren't official by themselves. The AUS office always double checks the box scores with the paper game sheet once they have time to do it. Right now with fall sports everything is a bit backed up as hockey isn't on top of their list, but once soccer and especially football is over with the scoresheet checks will get faster.

SMU gets its first win of the season. This is a talented but rookie laden team. Not a single 4th year player either. Giving up too many shots. Season still young though.

Les Aigles obviously remains the last team in the AUS without a win.

Probably has been answered already but it Brett Neumann injured?

Not to mention a new coach in his first real head coaching season in Tyler Naugler, things are looking good for the future at SMU.

I think we'll be okay too if we can ever get healthy. Right now we are playing without our captain, and arguably our best center, our top 2 defensemen and our #1 goalie, even though Samson has proven to be a great substitute, just unfortunate he isn't getting any more help in front of him, but the missing pieces are a big part of that.

DAL used to have a crew from (I think) the NSCC broadcasting program do their webcasts, they used to to a good job, even though they were a pain to work with on-site often lol

I must give credit , maybe my memory is off since it’s been a year and a half since I’ve watch a Dal home game online , announcing was better than I remember it being… I wish they had some fan support , the Forum is a relic , I’ve been to hundreds of rinks from minor hockey to modern NHL arenas and it will always be my favourite. Went to a Mooseheads playoff game their 7-8 years ago when curling was at Metro Center and it was an experience like no other .

The Forum does have its charms but I won't be sad to see it go as an AUS venue. It lags quite a bit for facilities, the cleanliness isn't where it should be, press boxes aren't very user friendly and having fans around the dressing room areas is just a big pain in the butt.

Speaking of the Forum press box... me and the damn beam that sticks out inside the catwalk going from the stands to the press box had a pretty serious encounter 10 years ago, may or may not have resulted in me getting a pretty nasty cut and also a mild concussion. They say not to text and drive... texting and walking is just as dangerous kids lol

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB

Maybe I’m imagining things…but it seems the Moncton webcast has been a lot brighter looking this year. Did the rink get new lights? Having the clock incorporated into the scorebug is a nice improvement over previous years too.

UPEI used to be one of my favorite webcasts back when Denny King was calling the games (can’t remember who his partner was…he still might be there). I thought they were entertaining to listen to.

timbitca

Feb 15, 2007
JLL Press Box
Maybe I’m imagining things…but it seems the Moncton webcast has been a lot brighter looking this year. Did the rink get new lights? Having the clock incorporated into the scorebug is a nice improvement over previous years too.

UPEI used to be one of my favorite webcasts back when Denny King was calling the games (can’t remember who his partner was…he still might be there). I thought they were entertaining to listen to.

I've been playing around with the lighting on the camera's for our webcasts this year, trying to get things to look a little better. Still have much room to improve. Our lighting has been the same in the rink since the renovations in 2009.

UPEI webcast is pretty good I agree, the one sour point I have with UPEI is their PA announcer. I get you don't want to sound excited when the other team scores, but you also don't have to sound like you're announcing a list of dead people from some tragedy.

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Watched the webcast of the Axemen-X-Men game last night. X was very good. Acadia looked so flat I wondered if they had been partying all through Homecoming. Flodell was hung out to dry in the first period. Defence, what defence? My first impressions of Hawel, Trott and Struthers is Wow! I can see why the other AUS coaches were so big on them in Bruce Hallihan's scouting story. It is early, but I can see Hawel running away with the scoring title. We'll learn more with the upcoming UNB-StFX games.

Reactions: Rob and dm8895

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
Big win by SMU last night over UPEI. They started out a bit slow, but had a strong 3rd to put the game out of reach. It got a bit "chippy" at 5-2 but not too bad. I may head up to ACA Friday.

Island Husky

Sep 18, 2008
Kensington PEI

The Color guy, Norman Beck, is still there, the commentator "Joe" is new this year. Norman is a former allstar at UPEI. His son, Colin, a big giant, played a few years ago.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
Watched the webcast of the Axemen-X-Men game last night. X was very good. Acadia looked so flat I wondered if they had been partying all through Homecoming. Flodell was hung out to dry in the first period. Defence, what defence? My first impressions of Hawel, Trott and Struthers is Wow! I can see why the other AUS coaches were so big on them in Bruce Hallihan's scouting story. It is early, but I can see Hawel running away with the scoring title. We'll learn more with the upcoming UNB-StFX games.

I agree. While it is early I can see X leading the AUS in goals this season. The only question for me is how their goaltending holds out. Raymaakers had a disappointing rookie season. If he can play as good as expected then they can take the regular season title.

Am important game for the last playoff is Moncton v Dal. If Dal wins this Moncton could be in some trouble.

dm8895

Apr 3, 2015
Freddy Beach
I feel like we’ve been a bit harsh with webcasts lately , but yet again, this is rough lol. Camera guy is better than most , but I’m about ready to mute my tv. These guys are probably the worst I’ve heard in the AUS … id almost offer to pay for Kilfoil to call road games even if just from the living room lol

Reactions: FreddyFoyle

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I feel like we’ve been a bit harsh with webcasts lately , but yet again, this is rough lol. Camera guy is better than most , but I’m about ready to mute my tv. These guys are probably the worst I’ve heard in the AUS … id almost offer to pay for Kilfoil to call road games even if just from the living room lol
In all fairness, I don’t believe their main guy who does the majority of games is calling this one.

Honestly, I don’t need (or expect) anything too amazing…tell me what players are touching the puck and let me know when there is a penalty coming up and I’m content. These guys probably aren’t spending too much time doing pre-game research on the opposing teams.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad