Proposal: 2021 1st Round Pick

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
To contrast that how many top 10 picks turn into players like Erik Gudbranson?
Quite a few. And lots more that turn into meh players.

Stars are hard to find, even in the top 10. But it's still the main place to find them.

I did some research and there's not much in terms of top 10 picks being dealt. Raanta and Stepan went for 7th overall (Lias Andersson), so theres one that worked out for the team dealing the pick.

Yak

Jun 30, 2009
Los Angeles
www.androidheadlines.com
Their will be a lot of wheeling and dealing before the expansion draft with potential to pick up good young players that won't cost a 1st round pick. If there are players worthy of a 1st round pick we can look at that case by case.

Outside of Norris and Pinto we need another center and maybe a #1 at that.

Defense needs time to develop so another top 4 RD defensemen would ideal.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
There are pick for player deals I would consider, but normally I would target an upgrade of a weak spot lower in the depth chart, rather than go big game hunting using a costly asset.

Targets to replace or upgrade:
Zaitsev
White
Mete
J. Brown
Tierney
Dzingel

To me, those are the weakest spots in the roster, but even they're not that bad.

So I think instead I'd just keep the picks.

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
People are forgetting that Ottawa can trade the player they select in the draft and that player holds just as much value as the draft choice traded pre-draft.

One critical flaw however, fans and management get attached to their prospects and don't like to trade them away.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Considering that Ottawa is not a prime choice for players due to the weather and possibly the owner, and that the team is in a small Canadian market with lower revenues than many other teams, and that the owner is not likely willing to spend to the cap to acquire and retain players, I think the focus needs to be on drafting and developing players, paying players lower salaries during their ELC and RFA seasons, and judiciously signing only a few players entering their UFA years. Signing or trading for expensive vets in or entering their UFA years does not seem to be the strategy that will best use the lower salary budget of this team.

Reactions: Duncstar

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
This draft does worry me. Not much viewings or play this year for most of the kids. And being a defense-heavy draft, that position is already hard to predict at the pro level.

I definitely would go for a Seth Jones (with extension) style trade. Or another legit first pairing RD who is a decent (under UFA) age. I seriously doubt a young legit 1C will be up for trade (NOT Monahan...kid isn't worth it), but if it is, that would also be an option. But those would really be the only two scenarios where I'd feel confident moving the pick...even in a crappy draft year.

2022 is shaping up to be an amazing draft year, and iirc, good for centers. I wouldn't be all that upset if we played the hell out of our kids at C next year and picked high in 2022. Also a great way to see just how much we need a top line (or top 6) center.

alfstheman

Jul 2, 2009
The top 8 in the draft are still very good this year. William eklund for example ranked 6th overall has more points in SHL than either of Raymond or Holtz.

Reactions: Duncstar and NB613

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
The way I see it our core is almost completely built. I want a top 6 C (could be Pinto or Jimmy), RW, and top 4 RD (could be JBD). The way the kids are playing now makes me think we are close to competing. Chabot is on his big contract, Tkachuk should be next year. These guys are going into their primes with Norris, Batherson, and Zub not far behind. Jimmy and Sanderson are a bit further behind, but considering what this year's draft is like I doubt we get a player as good as them. Any player we do draft will likely be at least a year away from the NHL, and depending on the pick is they could be 3 or 4. Look at Logan Brown, there is no guarantee a high pick becomes a core NHL player. If we trade the pick to a rebuilding team who is willing to sell a good player around Chabot's age we can get a much more known asset. This is good because we know he will be good (unlike a pick), we can target a position (which is a poor draft strategy and depending on position would be bad asset management), and we can get a guy who can be part of the core now and for the next few years (unlike a pick who might not be a core player until Chabot is 28). If we were early on in the rebuild I wouldn't trade the pick as I would want as many prospects as possible. But at this stage of the rebuild I want specific holes in the roster filled, as I think many roster spots are filled for the foreseeable future.

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
This plan is directionless. For that alone, I believe it's a bad idea.

My philosophy is that you fix the biggest problems on the team first. If you identify the problem correctly, you could potentially get huge boost out of a cheaply acquired above average player... like Dion Phaneuf slaying the 3-headed monster (Cowen, Wiercioch and 'Old Phillips'). If you do it wrong, you give up the Eric Lindros package for a marginal upgrade like Captain Spinorama to replace Turris.

Our team is full of question marks and a clear lack of data to judge them on. At this time, there isn't any clear consensus on what this team needs.

I'm concerned that this acquisition could be very expensive to acquire in player assets, very expensive in salary, could become expendable in short order and could potentially offer only a marginal upgrade over what we have. It could also leave us short player assets and cap space when the biggest problem position/skill reveals itself.

Last edited:

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
BPA,but at this draft it seems that we should fill a hole...As defenders and centers seem to littered in the top 10

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
BPA,but at this draft it seems that we should fill a hole...As defenders and centers seem to littered in the top 10

We have a lot of holes to be filled so BPA is best approach. Oft times there are tiers of players rather than ranked players so there may be options for BPA and then one can choose based on position of greatest need.

Reactions: topshelf15

BrawlFan

Apr 17, 2009
If we draft Clarke I think he plays next year in Ottawa. He's playing mens right now.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
We have a lot of holes to be filled so BPA is best approach. Oft times there are tiers of players rather than ranked players so there may be options for BPA and then one can choose based on position of greatest need.

Tomato Tomato ... One team may have 1 player ranked as the BPA and another team may have that player ranked 4th.. If you mean the Bob's list as a BPA list or another consensus list as the BPA list .. or whoever the Sens have ranked as their BPA.

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
Tomato Tomato ... One team may have 1 player ranked as the BPA and another team may have that player ranked 4th.. If you mean the Bob's list as a BPA list or another consensus list as the BPA list .. or whoever the Sens have ranked as their BPA.

'BPA' is one of my biggest pet peeves at draft time lol. Its so subjective. Feels like a cop out from having to have an opinion. To each there own though.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
'BPA' is one of my biggest pet peeves at draft time lol. Its so subjective. Feels like a cop out from having to have an opinion. To each there own though.

And it comes down to how a team has them ranked. So might as well just say .. whoever the Sens have as BPA is the player I want with no insight into how they arrived at that.

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
We are sitting in the 6th spot and this draft is wide open. I'm hoping one of the following are available at 6 if we don't move up:

- Edvinsson
- Eklund
- Johnson

Reactions: Duncstar

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: