Proposal: 2021 1st Round Pick

MrInvidious

Sep 25, 2020
Toronto, ON / Ottawa, ON
With the 2021 season coming to a close very soon, we are currently in the midst of yet another battle to the bottom. Currently, the Senators are slotted to pick 6th (minus the Draft Lottery results and including Seattle). 5 points separate us from picking 2nd and 11th respectively. The last few weeks of the season are going to influence where this pick will eventually fall quite heavily.

With all that being said, I was thinking about where this team is at on-paper at the NHL level and our current crop of soon-to-be-ready prospects. One would suspect that any pick made in this year's draft will not become NHL relevant for at least 2-3 more seasons.

What are everyone's thoughts in regard to floating this pick out for NHL ready talent to teams who may just be entering a rebuild phase (ie. CBJ/SJS/CGY/STL etc.)?

I personally feel like this year would be the time to utilize our incredibly deep prospect pool and grab someone who can make a big impact on the ice next season.

Players that COULD fit the mold:
Evander Kane (SJS)
Timo Meier (SJS)
Tomas Hertl (SJS)
Patrick Laine (CBJ)
Max Domi (CBJ)
Oliver Bjorkstrand (CBJ)
Seth Jones (CBJ)
Noah Hanifin (CGY)
Johnny Gaudreau (CGY)
Sean Monahan (CGY)
Ryan O'Reilly (STL)
Vladimir Tarasenko (STL)
Justin Faulk (STL)

These players all range in terms of likelihood to be dealt, value and NTCs but just being put here for now as potential suggestions. Would love to know other options people can think of or if we are better off keeping our pick (pending where that pick may fall).

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
With the 2021 season coming to a close very soon, we are currently in the midst of yet another battle to the bottom. Currently, the Senators are slotted to pick 6th (minus the Draft Lottery results and including Seattle). 5 points separate us from picking 2nd and 11th respectively. The last few weeks of the season are going to influence where this pick will eventually fall quite heavily.

With all that being said, I was thinking about where this team is at on-paper at the NHL level and our current crop of soon-to-be-ready prospects. One would suspect that any pick made in this year's draft will not become NHL relevant for at least 2-3 more seasons.

What are everyone's thoughts in regard to floating this pick out for NHL ready talent to teams who may just be entering a rebuild phase (ie. CBJ/SJS/CGY/STL etc.)?

I personally feel like this year would be the time to utilize our incredibly deep prospect pool and grab someone who can make a big impact on the ice next season.

Evander Kane (SJS)
Timo Meier (SJS)
Tomas Hertl (SJS)
Patrick Laine (CBJ)
Max Domi (CBJ)
Oliver Bjorkstrand (CBJ)
Seth Jones (CBJ)
Noah Hanifin (CGY)
Johnny Gaudreau (CGY)
Sean Monahan (CGY)
Ryan O'Reilly (STL)
Vladimir Tarasenko (STL)
Justin Faulk (STL)

These players all range in terms of likelihood to be dealt, value and NTCs but just being put here for now as potential suggestions. Would love to know other options people can think of or if we are better off keeping our pick (pending where that pick may fall).

Lots of big salary / low production stat lines there ...Not many I would give much for other than cap relief.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
I don't like the idea of trading for someone who is coming up to free agency in a year or so. It would be like when we traded for Ryan. He could hold Dorion over a barrel for a monster contract, knowing we gave up a good asset to acquire him. Better to keep the asset and try for a big fish like RNH in free agency. Our team is up-and-coming and I think we're a more desirable place for UFAs now than we were.

I also want to immediately get back to the business of rebuilding the farm, which is rapidly getting depleted with graduations. I would even consider trading it back if the guy we want isn't there.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
If we trading for Jones, there is no way he isn't coming with extension; be reasonable, folks. He can sign one right on the date or have verbal agreement and sign week after when eligible.

I don't know if I want to wrap 17-18 million dollars in 2 defenders without a number 1 C, losing assets, and Sanderson in the wings. We might as well sign Hamilton for free, give him 9 million and use the 1st on a C or just draft a prospect.

MrInvidious

Sep 25, 2020
Toronto, ON / Ottawa, ON
I don't like the idea of trading for someone who is coming up to free agency in a year or so. It would be like when we traded for Ryan. He could hold Dorion over a barrel for a monster contract, knowing we gave up a good asset to acquire him. Better to keep the asset and try for a big fish like RNH in free agency. Our team is up-and-coming and I think we're a more desirable place for UFAs now than we were.

I also want to immediately get back to the business of rebuilding the farm, which is rapidly getting depleted with graduations. I would even consider trading it back if the guy we want isn't there.
This is a fair POV but I would counter that I believe a team is more likely to get a better deal financially when looking to re-sign one of their own vs. battling for a UFA in the open market.

I'm someone who wholeheartedly does not believe in stocking up your team with UFA assets. It almost always results in gross overpayment when it comes to impact players. The UFA market should be used primarily to bring in good depth pieces for cost-effective deals.

If we're serious about adding a bigger NHL roster piece in the longer term, I believe it will be imperative that it's done via trade and then re-sign that player on our own time. If we were to go out and trade for a guy like Seth Jones, I do believe that he'd end up signing here for less than if we were to try and get him to come here via UFA market.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
If we were to go out and trade for a guy like Seth Jones, I do believe that he'd end up signing here for less than if we were to try and get him to come here via UFA market.

I'm not sure I agree that they sign for less. But even if that's true, how much is "less enough" to make it worth parting with a top-10 pick?

Reactions: DrEasy

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
Only way I trade this pick is in a package for a legit #1C. Would rather draft a cost controlled D than pay 9 mil for one and find we still have a gap up front as it’s slightly counter productive.

MrInvidious

Sep 25, 2020
Toronto, ON / Ottawa, ON
I'm not sure I agree that they sign for less. But even if that's true, how much is "less enough" to make it worth parting with a top-10 pick?
I think that it's important to note that most of the players, if not all, that I listed are signed for the 2021-22 season. None are pending UFAs. It's a different story trading a top-10 pick for someone who need a contract before next season.

The UFA market this year would funnel is into probably looking at Dougie Hamilton as an impact blue-liner, but I don't think he's signing in Ottawa as a UFA for anything less than a gross overpayment. I'd personally much rather move that pick for a guy like Seth Jones and then work on an extension without competition. Even if we threw all the money at Dougie Hamilton, it's far from a guarantee he comes.

bacon25

Unenthusiastic User
Nov 29, 2010
Group Study Room F

Evander Kane (SJS)
Timo Meier (SJS)
Tomas Hertl (SJS)
Patrick Laine (CBJ)
Max Domi (CBJ)
Oliver Bjorkstrand (CBJ)
Seth Jones (CBJ)
Noah Hanifin (CGY)
Johnny Gaudreau (CGY)
Sean Monahan (CGY)
Ryan O'Reilly (STL)
Vladimir Tarasenko (STL)
Justin Faulk (STL)

Maybe Ryan O, and maybe Meier, but I dont' see the Sharks trading either of Hertl or Meier.

LudwigVonKarlsson

Fall of Pierre
Oct 17, 2013
Ottawa, ON

Evander Kane (SJS)
Timo Meier (SJS)
Tomas Hertl (SJS)
Patrick Laine (CBJ)
Max Domi (CBJ)
Oliver Bjorkstrand (CBJ)
Seth Jones (CBJ)
Noah Hanifin (CGY)
Johnny Gaudreau (CGY)
Sean Monahan (CGY)
Ryan O'Reilly (STL)
Vladimir Tarasenko (STL)
Justin Faulk (STL)

A lot of over paid veterans on this list and I don't imagine any of those young guys are available nor would they waive to come here.
Rather just keep the pick and build upon the solid foundation that we have and sign gap fillers that aren't 35+ that would solidify our defense for next season.

Reactions: Cosmix

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Keep the pick and draft an impact forward (Beniers, Johnson, Guenther) or RD (Clarke, etc) that remain in our system for years to come. We'll get a good return in the top 10. We are starting to develop a good collection of talent with Sokolov, Crookshank, Grieg and Thomson still coming along with Kleven and Sanderson, in addition to Bernard-Docker, Pinto and even Mete. Lets not give it away for a short term. Stay the course.

Stuzchuk

Mar 25, 2009
Eastern Canada
I would trade the pick, only for a RW or RHD with at least 4 years left on his contract

and those who says S. Jones... it will cost WAY more than Ottawa's 2021-1st and on top of that we will have to pay him big buck before July 1st 2022 (+/- 9M/yr)

Reactions: NB613

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Keep the pick and draft an impact forward (Beniers, Johnson, Guenther) or RD (Clarke, etc) that remain in our system for years to come. We'll get a good return in the top 10. We are starting to develop a good collection of talent with Sokolov, Crookshank, Grieg and Thomson still coming along with Kleven and Sanderson, in addition to Bernard-Docker, Pinto and even Mete. Lets not give it away for a short term. Stay the course.

Agreed. Best player available and hope he turns into the kinda prospect you can slide into the lineup 2 or 3 years down the road.

Teams always need that influx of talented entry level contracts as their core players hit their prime contracts.

Pinto Bean

Sep 13, 2009
Ottawa
Keep the pick please. If our current youth continue to progress, the value of what hopes to be a solid top 10 prospect in 2021 on an ELC contract while we're in the midst of being a very good team would be invaluable.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
I don't trust our front office to make a good trade, especially one where we're the buyer. Let's keep the picks and be patient.

This off-season was proof that doing absolutely nothing would have been more beneficial than whatever it is that Dorion did. Finding Zub being a very notable exception. In fact, trying to find more gems from the KHL would be my recommended direction.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Canucks fan coming to say you guys are loaded with young talent. However, I'd add you can never have enough top-tier talent on ELC's. Keep the pick in my opinion and use free agency to add to it. You guys are in a great position with cap space to add talent in both free agency and trades however the 1st pick I'd probably keep. You guys won't be picking this high again for a while if everything works out good luck with the plan.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I would trade the pick, only for a RW or RHD with at least 4 years left on his contract

and those who says S. Jones... it will cost WAY more than Ottawa's 2021-1st and on top of that we will have to pay him big buck before July 1st 2022 (+/- 9M/yr)

I agree with the need, but not to trade the pick away when there are two dynamic players that fill both those roles in Guenther RW a dynamic forward & Clarke RD who could turn into a dynamic puck moving defender in this draft who will cost Ottawa nothing. Use the assets they have to fill other holes in the lineup by moving some of the players who are not part of the future team in Dadonov, Tierny (Seattle) & Zaitsev.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Monahan if its below 5th overall

if its top 3 then go for Eichel

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Does he play RD? He aint fitting here with Chabot and Sanderson. I'd love him but only if he RD's it.
Would be all over it, but you're right, no room on the left. I'd be surprised if he's one of the guys Calgary moves on from. They let Brody go last year and will be losing Giordano to retirement in the near future.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad