Proposal: 2021 1st Round Pick

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
All I'm saying is this exact same Fwd group with another year experience (likely our fwds wont change much this offseason) makes the playoffs with a defense of:

Chabot-Jones
Brann-Zub
Mete-JBD/Zaits
Jones makes zero sense since Ottawa is a small market team.
Jones is going to be a UFA after next season. You don’t give up assets for a player like that unless he agrees to an extension beforehand.

Ottawa needs to acquire players that have term, and are without NTC’s. It’s part of the reality of cheering for the Senators.

LudwigVonKarlsson

Fall of Pierre
Oct 17, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Monahan if its below 5th overall

if its top 3 then go for Eichel
Monahan is a soft and slow player who is seemingly on the decline at the ripe old age of 26. Pass. Eichel would be interesting but would have to imagine a team like NYR would field a better offer or even LAK since they have so many high end center prospects.

BrawlFan

Apr 17, 2009
if we are picking between 8-10 and the sabres don't force us to take Skinner you asbolutely trade the pick + prospect for Eichel. He's exactly what this team needs right now and next year you try and sign a vet D and make a push. Then you have Sanderson coming in and we got ourselves a window. 8-10 wont make an impact for 2 years minimum.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
I have a very hard time seeing the Sabres dealing Eichel within the conference let alone the division. It would be a Karlsson type trade out west unless some Eastern G.M pitched an absolutely monster offer.

I think we should stick to the homegrown team method and not waste anymore assets on expensive stars (Ryan, Duchene) that could end up disappointing.

I think we have the peices in place to build a contender and I have no doubt in my mind that Norris and Pinto are worthy of being our top 2 centers. Then you have a #1 LW in Stützle and a #2 LW in Tkachuk, a #1 RW in Batherson and a #2 RW in C. Brown (for now) and we are pretty much set in the top 6 on offense.

Sanderson is also in my opinion less than a year away from being a full time NHL player and will probably be our 2nd best d-man instantly. With Chabot, Brann and Zub, our top 6 starts to look good which leaves us:

A partner for Chabot in our top 4. I think that is really our only missing peice at the moment and should be a reasonable fix for the right price.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I agree with the need, but not to trade the pick away when there are two dynamic players that fill both those roles in Guenther RW a dynamic forward & Clarke RD who could turn into a dynamic puck moving defender in this draft who will cost Ottawa nothing. Use the assets they have to fill other holes in the lineup by moving some of the players who are not part of the future team in Dadonov, Tierny (Seattle) & Zaitsev.
They could easily be gone before we get to the podium.

Reactions: aragorn

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
Players that COULD fit the mold:
Evander Kane (SJS) - Stay far far away from.
Timo Meier (SJS) - He could work.
Tomas Hertl (SJS) - Injury history worries me.
Patrick Laine (CBJ) - Going to cost a lot, seems like a bit of a head case.
Max Domi (CBJ) - I am basing this on nothing, but he doesnt seem like a team locker room guy.
Oliver Bjorkstrand (CBJ) - Could replace Dadonov
Seth Jones (CBJ) - Sure
Noah Hanifin (CGY) - Need RD, not LD
Johnny Gaudreau (CGY) - Pass, LW is not our need. Plus I think he is going to Philly at free agency
Sean Monahan (CGY) - Could work, but our center depth seems to be a stronger position for us moving forward assuming everyone develops.
Ryan O'Reilly (STL) - They wont trade him
Vladimir Tarasenko (STL) - Pass
Justin Faulk (STL) - Pass, plus STL paid a steep price for him, I.E. losing their captain

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Monahan is a soft and slow player who is seemingly on the decline at the ripe old age of 26. Pass. Eichel would be interesting but would have to imagine a team like NYR would field a better offer or even LAK since they have so many high end center prospects.
sens can def make a competitive offer with top 3 pick + prospects + players

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Keep the pick please. If our current youth continue to progress, the value of what hopes to be a solid top 10 prospect in 2021 on an ELC contract while we're in the midst of being a very good team would be invaluable.
I think we gotta start pushing and be a playoff team. The window these days is not long so start to gather pieces that can work together.

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
I can't really find myself getting super excited for any of the top 10 players this year yet

And trades are addicting, so hell yes lets trade it!

ToasterStutzle

Aug 10, 2010
Manitoba, Canada
Jones makes zero sense since Ottawa is a small market team.
Jones is going to be a UFA after next season. You don’t give up assets for a player like that unless he agrees to an extension beforehand.

Ottawa needs to acquire players that have term, and are without NTC’s. It’s part of the reality of cheering for the Senators.

If they gave up what he's worth it would come with an extension. I truly don't get the fascination with not wanting to get better. If we move our 2021 1st, Lassi Thompson and say Zaitsev/ Mete for Jones signed for an 8mill x 6 how do you say no? Our BIGGEST hole is defense, specifically the right side. Norris has been a #1 C his whole career essentially and excelled at everything he's done in the minors and pros. We have just as high of a chance on him or Pinto or Stutzle turning into a #1 C and Beniers and he will be at least 2-3 years our of being a pro, 3-5 years from even filling that void of a #1 C and then we will be looking to fill Chabot's spot.

Jones is 26 and already in his prime. He would step in and make an immediate impact with the group we already have and would still grow with them. I don't THINK we would get Jones for that package, but to scoff at getting him for a package with the pick included is crazy to me.

Reactions: Toaster Stutzle

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
I dont know why but I feel the rangers are going to go hard on Eichel, they have the assets to do it.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
The way I see it we have three needs:

-A top 4 RD
-A top 6 RW (upgrade Dadanov, get Jimmy a better linemate)
-A top 9 centre (upgrade White)

Out of the teams mentioned in the OP I am most familiar with Calgary. These are the guys on the Flames I would have interest in. They aren't all worth a first, and I'm not saying to trade a first for them. I just am not opposed to trading a first, and would be happy to see these guys with Ottawa. Doesn't necessarily mean trade the first for them.

Mangiapanne
Lindholm
Tkachuk
Tanev
Andersson

alfstheman

Jul 2, 2009
Keep the pick.
With Brady, batherson, zub getting sizable raises this year, then later foemwnton stutzle and sanderson, I would rather have the cost controlled asset.

I would love me some Dylan Guenther or Berniers

Reactions: NyQuil

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Is there a trade people can point to like this for a top 10 pick? What's the track record like for these kind of trades?

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Take the pick ... stay the course we are not ready to be a contender.. wait till we are before giving up top 10 picks to bring you up that notch. Obviously unless its a clear win for now and the future. I think we can see changes to this roster going forward to make room for better players/prospects coming in. I think we can make short term improvements without giving up 1st rounders. I would also value 2nd rounders but that does not seem to be a universal thought.

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
If they gave up what he's worth it would come with an extension. I truly don't get the fascination with not wanting to get better. If we move our 2021 1st, Lassi Thompson and say Zaitsev/ Mete for Jones signed for an 8mill x 6 how do you say no? Our BIGGEST hole is defense, specifically the right side. Norris has been a #1 C his whole career essentially and excelled at everything he's done in the minors and pros. We have just as high of a chance on him or Pinto or Stutzle turning into a #1 C and Beniers and he will be at least 2-3 years our of being a pro, 3-5 years from even filling that void of a #1 C and then we will be looking to fill Chabot's spot.

Jones is 26 and already in his prime. He would step in and make an immediate impact with the group we already have and would still grow with them. I don't THINK we would get Jones for that package, but to scoff at getting him for a package with the pick included is crazy to me.
What’s crazy to me is you not understanding the semantics of being a Senators fan.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Take the pick ... stay the course we are not ready to be a contender.. wait till we are before giving up top 10 picks to bring you up that notch. Obviously unless its a clear win for now and the future. I think we can see changes to this roster going forward to make room for better players/prospects coming in. I think we can make short term improvements without giving up 1st rounders. I would also value 2nd rounders but that does not seem to be a universal thought.

I agree.

I don't think we even know enough about our own team to make trades for big names as some are suggesting.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

BrawlFan

Apr 17, 2009
Is there a trade people can point to like this for a top 10 pick? What's the track record like for these kind of trades?
Jordan Staal for Derrick Pouliout is a win for Carolina I would say. Pouliout is sorta average and Staal is the captain in Carolina

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Wasn’t Thomas Chabot selected 12th over all?

think about that for a minute.

Reactions: NyQuil

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce