2020 NHL Draft Prospects

Mvprice

Mar 4, 2017
Following the top 3 picks, there is no clear pick. These next 4 players are in tier 2 for this draft so far.
4. Justin Barron(D)
5. Kaiden Guhle(D)
6. Lucas Raymond(W)
7. Marco Rossi(C)
The reason I have Barron over Guhle is because I've seen him play more and he's currently playing at a higher level.
Barron(D) will enter the draft as one of the older players as he will already have 3 seasons in the Q under his belt. When I started watching the Mooseheads at the beginning of the season, I was mostly watching for Jared McIssac but quickly took note of Barron. Most nights he looks like a veteran even though he's the youngest defensemen on the team. Very good puck movement but has to work on his speed, acceleration and shot. He's been the Mooseheads second best defensemen throughout the year (behind Jocktan Chainey). His 9 points in 16 games is very impressive considering he only had 25 points in 38 games last year in midget. Standing 6'1 190 at 16 is impressive and can still definitely grow til draft day.
I can say a lot of the same things about Guhle(D) except I believe he will turn out better offensively. He's faster than Barron but needs to also work on his shot (more so than Barron). Makes some dangerous passes but they get through due to the competition he's playing against. He deservingly got picked #1 in the 2017 WHL bantam draft and should show flashes of talent in the few games he plays this year for the Raiders. Has great size standing at 6'2 and weighing 170. In the end, I believe that Barron will be the better all around player while Guhle is more offensive.
Raymond(W) has a great set of offensive tools but struggles when the game gets rough. Super quick and can blow by almost any defender when going top speed. He's playing in the same league as Holtz (J18 circuit in Sweden) and is also racking up points. When he's played his 3 games in the Superelit, he's looked nervous to do what he's best at and that's have the puck on his stick. Raymond has picked up 23p in 13 games so far. His passing is his strongest feature but also has a quick release on his wrist shot. Gets caught puck chasing sometimes but has the speed to find his man before anything can happen. Raymond stands at 5'9 155 but that shouldn't affect his draft stock due to the NHL becoming more of a speed game.
Rossi(C) is also similar to Raymond due to the fact he has a smallish body (5'9 170) and is very speedy. He is also a very good passer as he has 25p in 18gp for the U20 team in Switzerland. Even though he's playing against older people, the skill level of what Raymond and Rossi are very similar (slight edge to Raymond). Rossi will be one of the oldest players in his class as he missed the cut off date by 1 week. He too needs to tighten up defensively but doesn't tend to puck chase as much.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Following the top 3 picks, there is no clear pick. These next 4 players are in tier 2 for this draft so far.
4. Justin Barron(D)
5. Kaiden Guhle(D)
6. Lucas Raymond(W)
7. Marco Rossi(C)
I believe that now it is time for us to revise this list by including Kasper Simontaival near the top if not #1. Before his injury last season he was playing at an insane level for the 4 games he played in u16 C SM(11+5=16 in 4 games). After his return from the injury, he's scored 7+7=14 points in 4 games in the Finnish u18 B SM league as a 2002 born. That's a far higher pace than anyone ever, from Patrik Laine to Jesse Puljujärvi to Aleksander Barkov, you name it.

His skill set is insane ranging from puck protection to picking pockets to having a great shot and absolutely filthy hands, stickhandling in tight spaces and great vision. He's relatively small but considering your reasoning for ranking Raymond where you did, there's very little that he for instance would have over Simontaival.

Now, I have no video material of these 4 games he's played in BSM this season but I have a small highlight video(points+2 misc plays) of one of his u16 games from February(4+2=6 points in a game where his team won 7-4). That's here(With captions![#16 right-handed shot]):

And this deke's from a different game last February:

Whether you're going to make the argument that his scoring in B SM is sustainable or not(He actually shouldn't be anywhere close to 100% considering he just came back from a serious injury), the skillset that's evident even in this tiny video sample is very special. And that's his last season's skill set, when he was scoring at... 1/5th the pace in B SM that he's now. When more recent material becomes available I'll likely make an extended highlight video of that. I also am looking forward to his international appearances.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Watched Byfield play in Border Battle, against DMF in Silver Stick and Waxers in recent league play and sorry either I bring him bad luck or he didn't play to his hype.
He probably should have played with 01's last year with Butler his teammate this year because it appears he lacks being mentally tough in Minor Midget with the big games

Had a pretty solid game up with Newmarket in the OJHL. 1 goal and 1 assist.

jnk96

Feb 25, 2013
At the rink.
Just want to toss a name from Germany in here: Tim Stützle. So far he has 13 goals, 32* points in 18 games in Germany's under-19 league (DNL) as a 15-year-old. Had 37 goals, 83* points in 32 under-16 games last season.

Skill level is easily as high as 2018-eligible Dominik Bokk's. Can be a little selfish at times, but still has a few years to work on that, so he'll hopefully be fine.

*sometimes they only count primary assists over here, so the actual number is likely a tad higher.

kunekune

Feb 17, 2016
Not gonna happen, Lafreniere is gonna take his spot, him or Holtz will probably go 1st.

People here in Tampere are saying that Simontaival is the most talented player ever to come from this city, and we had Barkov and Laine in the recent years.

He was injured for 9 months and is in the middle of growth spurt but still started the season dominating.

Unless Lafreniere is truly similar to McDavid, I really don't see him getting picked before Simontaival.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
People here in Tampere are saying that Simontaival is the most talented player ever to come from this city, and we had Barkov and Laine in the recent years.

He was injured for 9 months and is in the middle of growth spurt but still started the season dominating.

Unless Lafreniere is truly similar to McDavid, I really don't see him getting picked before Simontaival.
I mean he has a honest shot of putting up 100 points as a 16 year old. 1oa is definitely looking like Lafreniere to loose right now.

Reactions: Killerjas

kunekune

Feb 17, 2016
You have probably seen the other contenders play? Otherwise it's a pretty bold suggestion - especially considering his size.

I haven't seen other CHL players in action but what I've understood there are no generational CHL players in 2020 draft.

Like I mentioned people in my town consider Simontaival to be more talented than Barkov and Laine. They both were #2 picks in very deep drafts.

And Simontaival isn't that small anymore. He is in middle of growth spurt. 5'10 175 lbs atm so after growing is done he should be over 6 feet.

Squats

Mar 27, 2013
I haven't seen other CHL players in action but what I've understood there are no generational CHL players in 2020 draft.

Like I mentioned people in my town consider Simontaival to be more talented than Barkov and Laine. They both were #2 picks in very deep drafts.

And Simontaival isn't that small anymore. He is in middle of growth spurt. 5'10 175 lbs atm so after growing is done he should be over 6 feet.

I really don't think you quite understand how good lafreniere is

Reactions: OSA and Killerjas

Hockeyisl1fe

Dec 8, 2016

It's way too early to say he is an "easy pick as a 1st overall"... no way in hell he is 5'10 either, where did you get that from? He is undersized and not that good of a skater, those things tend to affect a lot in rankings.

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
As a kid who just turned 16 years old, Lafreniere is carrying his team (Rimouski), being over a 1.3PPG. He still has over 2 more years to develop. This kid is touted as the next Crosby. Who knows if he could replace Crosby, but this kid has a very, very bright future.

A 100 point per season QMJHL season is on the horizon. I am 100% sure he will accomplish that.

JiggsNY

Sep 14, 2016
New York
Who's the best American in this draft?
in no order these are the names that always come up, I'm not sure how most of them are doing so far this season, maybe someone else has updates. Peterson has been considered the top for a while, but isn't he struggling a bit this season?
Dylan Peterson
Tanner Latsch
Wyatt Schingoethe
Ty Smilanic
Luke Tuch
Ryan Kirwan
Antonio Stranges

It's easier to evaluate when most of these kids reach the NTDP next year.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Last edited:
Reactions: BKarchitect

kunekune

Feb 17, 2016
It's way too early to say he is an "easy pick as a 1st overall"... no way in hell he is 5'10 either, where did you get that from? He is undersized and not that good of a skater, those things tend to affect a lot in rankings.

He was measured 175cm in the summer and his coach told me he has grown at least an inch since summer. If you look new footage of him he looks average height playing with 2-3 years older.

And his skating isn't much of a problem. He is not speedster like McDavid or bull like Ovechkin but he is a lot better skater than Barkov and Laine were when they were 15 years old.

Erikfromfin

May 18, 2013
Im more impressed by Oliver Suni than Kasper Simontaival in regards finnish forwards of 2020 draft.

kunekune

Feb 17, 2016
Im more impressed by Oliver Suni than Kasper Simontaival in regards finnish forwards of 2020 draft.

Really?

Last year in C-juniors Simontaival 3ppg and Suni 1,56 ppg. This year B-Juniors Simontaival 2,125 ppg and Suni 1,4 ppg.

I haven't ever seen Suni playing so really can't say anything about it. Simontaival maybe 10 games.

I just know that the same people who were coaching Laine & Barkov a few years back are saying that Simontaival is the most talented of the three.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
in no order these are the names that always come up, I'm not sure how most of them are doing so far this season, maybe someone else has updates. Peterson has been considered the top for a while, but isn't he struggling a bit this season?
Dylan Peterson
Tanner Latsch
Wyatt Schingoethe
Ty Smilanic
Luke Tuch
Ryan Kirwan
Antonio Stranges
Jason Siedem
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
It's easier to evaluate when most of these kids reach the NTDP next year.

Siedem is an October 2002 so he's for the 2001 draft.

Reactions: JiggsNY

Hockeyisl1fe

Dec 8, 2016
Really?

Last year in C-juniors Simontaival 3ppg and Suni 1,56 ppg. This year B-Juniors Simontaival 2,125 ppg and Suni 1,4 ppg.

I haven't ever seen Suni playing so really can't say anything about it. Simontaival maybe 10 games.

I just know that the same people who were coaching Laine & Barkov a few years back are saying that Simontaival is the most talented of the three.
Yeah, by purely stat scouting Simontaival is on another level compared to anyone else. Guess what, Leevi Aaltonen at the same age was seen completely superior to Kaapo Kakko too... now a year later it's the total opposite. A piece of an advice: take B/C junior production of top prospects with a grain of salt. Suni is much rawer as a player, but I wouldn't be at all suprised if he ends up superior.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad