2020 NHL Draft Prospects

88Nords19

Apr 7, 2003
Alma
Visit site
Lafrenière and Byfield look like the top dogs at this very early point. Despite Lafrenière getting the early hype I think Byfield is right there with him.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Could someone give me like a Top 10 Prospects for 2020 list? I really don't know anything about this draft other than I believe Alexis Lafrenière is supposed to be really good.

It's tough to build a top 10 list at this point but 3 years out is where kids start to gain some hype. I'll give you a list of guys with a quick writeup of what I know about them from watching and reading. All I can say is this draft is shaping up to be a doozy. Lots of center and wing depth. Not as strong defensively as 2018 though but some defencemen are building towards a top 16 pick. It's rare that we see not only two high profile Canadians emerge, one from Quebec and another from Ontario. But also a very high profile American, a Swedish sniper (wut?), some intriguing prospects from Czech Rep, a high profile Austrian and at least one kid from Finland who could be a top 10 pick. Right now though there is a big 3 followed by a lot of guys who could challenge for 1OA. A year out we thought Lafreniere had it locked up and rightly so he is one of the oldest kids in the class and had a lot more exposure but some younger guys are making a play already.

Alexis Lafreniere
LW/C - 6'0 - 170 - Rimouski, QMJHL
What to say about this kid that hasn't already been said? Easily the top prospect to come out of the Q since Crosby. Alexis is what I call a pure playscorer. An equal threat at both creating plays and finishing them. He is a speedy and agile skater. His edgework in tight allows him to create time and space for himself and he has incredible vision to go along with his quick and accurate passing. Not only that but he has some great hands as well and can also create space for himself with his smooth and quick dekeing. He is arguably the top choice for 1OA right now but he doesn't have it completely locked up yet. Rimouski seems to want to develop him as a Center but recently he has been playing more on the wing.

Quinton Byfield
C/LW - 6'3 - 190 - OHL
Byfield has a complete offensive package to go along wit his 6'3 frame. Projected to go first overall in the 2018 OHL Draft this kid is an offensive weapon. A quick and agile skater who plays a goalscorers game. He combines a heavy slap shot with a very accurate and quick release on his wrist shot. Has the puck skills to score in tight but can also beat you from a distance. Not overly physical despite his size so he isn't really playing a PF type game. He is more of a speedy sniper which given his size is a deadly combo. Likes to drive the net and can also find the soft spots in the ice to get open. Not only that but he is one of the youngest kids in this draft class. Whichever OHL team lands this kid will be lucky, hopefully he gets lucky and lands in a good program that can help him continue to develop. Easily the best prospect from Ontario since McDavid.

Dylan Peterson
C - 6'3 - 183 - USNT, USDP
When you think of recent American products like Eichel, Matthews and Jack Hughes you think well they are pretty stacked at center nationally for some time. Then along comes Dylan Peterson. Peterson has been developing his game in Ontario and was actually projected to be battling it out with Byfield for 1st overall in the 2018 OHL Draft but has since committed to Boston University and is projected to go to the US Development Program for his draft -1 and draft year. Peterson is a very gifted playmaker and see's the ice really well. He has great hands, like most American centers, he can deke his way out of trouble easily and often makes defenders look foolish. His pure playmaking skills and two-way abilities will definitely help him succeed at all levels. If he can manage to find a pure goalscorer to play with in the USDP look out.

Alex Holtz
RW/LW - 6'0 - 181 - Sweden
It's not often you hear the words Swedish and sniper in the same sentence but Alexander Holtz is looking to change that. Arguably the best pure goalscorer in this class, Holtz has a quick and accurate release on his wrist shot that seems to find the back of the net often. A bit of an underrated playmaker as well he uses the threat of his shot to help create plays. Not an overly speedy skater but good enough that he can create space for himself. He also has a great set of hands to go along with his shooting abilities which makes him a threat in tight as well.

Marco Rossi
C -5'9 - 174 - Swiss (Austrian Born)
Haven't seen much of Rossi myself but from what I read he is a high IQ player with excellent vision who has some puck skills and is a great passer. Now taking bets on whether he ends up in Halifax.

Kasper Simontaival
LW - 5'9 - 179 - Finland
Kasper is a small winger but what he lacks in size he makes up for in skill. He's an good skater with some very slick hands and a great shot. Generates a lot of turnovers with his speed and anticipation. His size may keep him from going to high but he is arriving on the scene at just the right time as guys like DeBrincat and Yamamoto look to prove that enough skill in a small package shouldn't be overlooked.

Kaiden Guhle

LD - 6'2 - 174 - Prince Albert, WHL
Perhaps the top defencemen available for the 2020 draft as of right now and with good reason. Guhle is an excellent skater who covers a lot of ice very efficiently, has a high IQ and is a do-it-all defencemen. He has a booming shot from the point, makes a great first pass, is physical and chips in offensively whenever he see's the opportunity arise. He has a great defensive stick and uses his size and skating to his advantage whenever possible in the defensive zone.

Rhett Rhinehart
RD - 6'3 - 196 - Prince Albert, WHL
Now that we have Guhle out of the way we can focus on another top defencemen for the 2020 draft and likely to be on Guhles right side in PA. I don't know as much about Rhett but from what I hear he is a great skater, makes a great first pass and loves to be physical. Will keep an eye on these two in PA.

Connor McClennon
RW - 5'9 - 154 - Kootenay, WHL
Perhaps the top skater out of Western Canada. McClennon is an extremely fast skater with quick hands and a high IQ. He has set the bar in the relatively new Bantam Prep league, setting record for points, goals and assists in a season. He has a never quit motor and always has his feet moving looking to make plays.

Braden Schneider
RD - 6'1 - 196 - Brandon, WHL
Another defencemen to keep an eye on in the Dub. I have yet to see Brandon play this year but it sounds like Schneider is a big part of their early success. He's built like a tank and seems to be having a good season so far.

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
Adam Raska top-10/15?

Who knows really at this point, but he is doing really well in the Czech U20. Today he debuted in the Czech WSM league (2nd highest) finishing with 11:25 min, three shots on goal and one hit. We should get a much better picture of him from the U17 World Challenge, assuming he makes the team.

Jan Mysak is absolutely owning the Czech U16 league, 26+15 in 8 games... Not sure why is he being kept there when he's clearly way too good for that league. Should be in U18 league all year, but he only got 5 games (2+1) there.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
It's tough to build a top 10 list at this point but 3 years out is where kids start to gain some hype. I'll give you a list of guys with a quick writeup of what I know about them from watching and reading. All I can say is this draft is shaping up to be a doozy. Lots of center and wing depth. Not as strong defensively as 2018 though but some defencemen are building towards a top 16 pick. It's rare that we see not only two high profile Canadians emerge, one from Quebec and another from Ontario. But also a very high profile American, a Swedish sniper (wut?), some intriguing prospects from Czech Rep, a high profile Austrian and at least one kid from Finland who could be a top 10 pick. Right now though there is a big 3 followed by a lot of guys who could challenge for 1OA. A year out we thought Lafreniere had it locked up and rightly so he is one of the oldest kids in the class and had a lot more exposure but some younger guys are making a play already.

Alexis Lafreniere
What to say about this kid that hasn't already been said? Easily the top prospect to come out of the Q since Crosby. Alexis is what I call a pure playscorer. An equal threat at both creating plays and finishing them. He is a speedy and agile skater. His edgework in tight allows him to create time and space for himself and he has incredible vision to go along with his quick and accurate passing. Not only that but he has some great hands as well and can also create space for himself with his smooth and quick dekeing. He is arguably the top choice for 1OA right now but he doesn't have it completely locked up yet. Rimouski seems to want to develop him as a Center but recently he has been playing more on the wing.

Quinton Byfield
C/LW - 6'3 - 190 - OHL
Byfield has a complete offensive package to go along wit his 6'3 frame. Projected to go first overall in the 2018 OHL Draft this kid is an offensive weapon. A quick and agile skater who plays a goalscorers game. He combines a heavy slap shot with a very accurate and quick release on his wrist shot. Has the puck skills to score in tight but can also beat you from a distance. Not overly physical despite his size so he isn't really playing a PF type game. He is more of a speedy sniper which given his size is a deadly combo. Likes to drive the net and can also find the soft spots in the ice to get open. Not only that but he is one of the youngest kids in this draft class. Whichever OHL team lands this kid will be lucky, hopefully he gets lucky and lands in a good program that can help him continue to develop. Easily the best prospect from Ontario since McDavid.

Dylan Peterson
When you think of recent American products like Eichel, Matthews and Jack Hughes you think well they are pretty stacked at center nationally for some time. Then along comes Dylan Peterson. Peterson has been developing his game in Ontario and was actually projected to be battling it out with Byfield for 1st overall in the 2018 OHL Draft but has since committed to Boston University and is projected to go to the US Development Program for his draft -1 and draft year. Peterson is a very gifted playmaker and see's the ice really well. He has great hands, like most American centers, he can deke his way out of trouble easily and often makes defenders look foolish. His pure playmaking skills and two-way abilities will definitely help him succeed at all levels. If he can manage to find a pure goalscorer to play with in the USDP look out.

Alex Holtz
It's not often you hear the words Swedish and sniper in the same sentence but Alexander Holtz is looking to change that. Arguably the best pure goalscorer in this class, Holtz has a quick and accurate release on his wrist shot that seems to find the back of the net often. A bit of an underrated playmaker as well he uses the threat of his shot to help create plays. Not an overly speedy skater but good enough that he can create space for himself. He also has a great set of hands to go along with his shooting abilities which makes him a threat in tight as well.

Marco Rossi
Haven't seen much of Rossi myself but from what I read he is a high IQ player with excellent vision who has some puck skills and is a great passer. Now taking bets on whether he ends up in Halifax.

Kasper Simontaival
LW - 5'9 - 179 - Finland
Kasper is a small winger but what he lacks in size he makes up for in skill. He's an good skater with some very slick hands and a great shot. Generates a lot of turnovers with his speed and anticipation. His size may keep him from going to high but he is arriving on the scene at just the right time as guys like DeBrincat and Yamamoto look to prove that enough skill in a small package shouldn't be overlooked.

Kaiden Guhle

Perhaps the top defencemen available for the 2020 draft as of right now and with good reason. Guhle is an excellent skater who covers a lot of ice very efficiently, has a high IQ and is a do-it-all defencemen. He has a booming shot from the point, makes a great first pass, is physical and chips in offensively whenever he see's the opportunity arise. He has a great defensive stick and uses his size and skating to his advantage whenever possible in the defensive zone.

Rhett Rhinehart
Now that we have Guhle out of the way we can focus on another top defencemen for the 2020 draft and likely to be on Guhles right side in PA. I don't know as much about Rhett but from what I hear he is a great skater, makes a great first pass and loves to be physical. Will keep an eye on these two in PA.

Connor McClennon
Perhaps the top skater out of Western Canada. McClennon is an extremely fast skater with quick hands and a high IQ. He has set the bar in the relatively new Bantam Prep league, setting record for points, goals and assists in a season. He has a never quit motor and always has his feet moving looking to make plays.

Braden Schneider
Another defencemen to keep an eye on in the Dub. I have yet to see Brandon play this year but it sounds like Schneider is a big part of their early success. He's built like a tank and seems to be having a good season so far.

Have you been able to catch any of Ruben Rafkin's games? I know he got some ncaa full ride offers as an 14 year old, and is now commited to Denver, but haven't seen any scouting reports on him

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Have you been able to catch any of Ruben Rafkin's games? I know he got some ncaa full ride offers as an 14 year old, and is now commited to Denver, but haven't seen any scouting reports on him

It's tough to follow US Prep Schools, especially the USPHL. Though they are on Hockey.Tv
I might subscribe, they offer a tonne of leagues at a decent price.

I can imagine Raskin will eventually head to the USHL so should be able to get a better look there.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Three players in Sweden have caught my eye (In no order):

Lucas Raymond - Think W. Nylander. Similar type of slick puck handling and skating, excellent numbers but not the biggest guy.
Alexander Holtz - Pure sniper who has posted some incredible numbers. Flat out scores but doesn't bring a whole lot more.
Theodor Niederbach - Has the most impressive skill set out of these three IMO. Bigger than he's listed at, think Sebastian Aho or Nico Hischier in terms of style.

ViktorBaeArvidsson

Greenville Swamp Rabbits fan lol
Feb 18, 2017
The Bible Belt of South Carolina

Alexis Lafreniere

Quinton Byfield
C/LW - 6'3 - 190 - OHL

Dylan Peterson

Alex Holtz

Marco Rossi

Kasper Simontaival
LW - 5'9 - 179 - Finland

Kaiden Guhle

Rhett Rhinehart

Connor McClennon

Braden Schneider
Thank you sir for this!

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
There's several very strong Ontario Dmen who look very projectable at this point, including Drysdale, O'Rourke and Bianconi.

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
Who knows really at this point, but he is doing really well in the Czech U20. Today he debuted in the Czech WSM league (2nd highest) finishing with 11:25 min, three shots on goal and one hit. We should get a much better picture of him from the U17 World Challenge, assuming he makes the team.

Jan Mysak is absolutely owning the Czech U16 league, 26+15 in 8 games... Not sure why is he being kept there when he's clearly way too good for that league. Should be in U18 league all year, but he only got 5 games (2+1) there.

Well nevermind, he wasn't nominated. Only as a reserve call up. Pretty surprising given how well he's doing in the junior league.
2002 born Nick Malik made it, along with late 01's Jaromir Pytlik, Simon Kubicek, David Homola and Radek Kucerik.

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
Is this draft considered a strong one?
Apparently it's looking real strong at least according to McGuire. Just listened to him talking about how the 2019 and 2020 draft classes look better than next years. That opinion was based on North American prospect alone and Europeans will make it even better.
I'm hoping we can enjoy a talent injection similar to what the 15 and 16 drafts have provided, with the 19/20 drafts.

Reactions: DominicBoltsFan

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Hm, it seems, that every year is stacked. From 2015 maybe only 2017 was considered as weak one.

It's always like that, then most (or at least some) of the hyped kids start falling back to earth and stall in their development and suddenly it doesn't look that strong anymore. I think 2018 is in that boat right now. It looked incredibly strong not too long ago but now it's looking like a fairly average draft (albeit with two great talents at the top).

Reactions: SpoolCat

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
It's always like that, then most (or at least some) of the hyped kids start falling back to earth and stall in their development and suddenly it doesn't look that strong anymore. I think 2018 is in that boat right now. It looked incredibly strong not too long ago but now it's looking like a fairly average draft (albeit with two great talents at the top).

That had a lot to do with Veleno not really living up to expectations. The defensive depth has been strong and in some way it' getting stronger. Merkley and MsIsaac have been bad out of the gate but many are exceeding expectations. The American class had a lot of hype 2 years out but last year kind of stalled but it seems a few have redeemed themselves.

I think all in all outside of a few guys this draft is showing some crazy good depth on the wings and at defence. It is generally pretty weak at center though with Veleno falling off.

DonM

The Industrial Revolution and its consequences
May 18, 2015
Next years draft is always the greatest ever.

A weird statement given that the prevailing view is 2015>2016>2017, and that was the view at the time the latter two drafts were taking place. I don't remember anyone saying that about 2014 either. That's a long run of anomalies I guess.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Next years draft is always the greatest ever.
I love when drafts are declared great when most of the players are still in Minor-midget. Impossible to judge a draft until at least a sizable portion are playing in legit leagues and being challenged. So far for 2020, the only thing I can say with some confidence is that Lafrenaire looks legit. Past that? A whole bunch of wildcards. I've seen too many John McFarlands and Alex Forsbergs too get hyped about 15-year-old kids dominating other 15-year-old kids.

Reactions: VictorLustig

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
That had a lot to do with Veleno not really living up to expectations. The defensive depth has been strong and in some way it' getting stronger. Merkley and MsIsaac have been bad out of the gate but many are exceeding expectations. The American class had a lot of hype 2 years out but last year kind of stalled but it seems a few have redeemed themselves.

I think all in all outside of a few guys this draft is showing some crazy good depth on the wings and at defence. It is generally pretty weak at center though with Veleno falling off.
While Veleno is a disappointment, the biggest one is Wise. Hasn't grown in like 3 years and never developed as expected. He was supposed to be an Eichel level prospect (and appeared to be better at 14 from what I've heard), but thats the issue with giving kids too much hyped before they play real competition.

Reactions: JimboA

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad