NHL Entry Draft 2020 NHL Draft Discussion - PART XIV [We got 3-5]

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaredCowen4Norris

Jul 9, 2020
Hm, I as never into a draft as much as I am into this one so perhaps I will as well.

Honestly if there's one thing that you can trust Dorion to do well it's drafting. He might not make the flashiest picks but he always manages to grab a player who will be able to contribute. He's also quite good at finding value in the later rounds which not every team can do. I forget what article it was but I remember reading about how the Sens are one of the best in the league at drafting and developing their players.

Reactions: philb613 and Taluss

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
If the sens dont take one of Sanderson, Drysdale, Quinn or Raymond I will be in absolute shock. I am extremely confident that is who they have in contention for the 5 spot.

You don’t think Perfetti or Rossi is on their list? That would be very surprising to me.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
You don’t think Perfetti or Rossi is on their list? That would be very surprising to me.
No I dont think so. People hate when anyone says anything in regards to inside info but from a pretty reliable source those are the 4 players they are considering.

I honestly think there are 8 players that could be taken in the 4 to 12 spots and any could turn out to be the best its really close just teams have specific preferences.

Reactions: senswon

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
No I dont think so. People hate when anyone says anything in regards to inside info but from a pretty reliable source those are the 4 players they are considering.

I honestly think there are 8 players that could be taken in the 4 to 12 spots and any could turn out to be the best its really close just teams have specific preferences.
It's most likely because everyone thinks they won't have a chance at Perfetti. I'd be shocked if they didn't like him for 5th.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
I feel the need to remind people that using Brady Tkachuk as an example for drafting a certain type of player at the top of the draft may not be the best argument.

Brady Tkachuk is a unique player, and his value is directly associated with that uniqueness and not necessarily associated with his skill as a hockey player. I remember watching Brady his first season and being absolutely frustrated that he could never finish a shift without falling down at least once.

His shot needed work, his passing was often off the mark, but his hockey IQ is another level and couples with his size and strength, he found a way to dominate in front of the net. Then he would sometimes find a way to shock me with an elephant like burst of speed and a rocket slap shot.

My point being is we need to still remember that drafting skill at the top of the draft should be the priority. Character, intangibles, size, etc. should be best reserved for the second half of the first round (if that) or from rounds 2 to 7.

Although I would not trade Tkachuk 1 for 1 many players in this league, because he is an absolute necessity for our future success, one of the factors that made his selection at #4 such a successful one is the slow progression of Zadina. I do not doubt for second that if Zadina came into the league and showed the same offensive instinct that Q. Hughes has shown, that many people here would still be upset having drafted character over skill.

And just add to this, who cares really what the 2018 drafted players look like NOW. I'd say that only Hughes, Dahlin and Svechnikov from that class have revealed anything close to their true potential. And there is always the possibility that they regress. It's quite possible that in 2-3 years Zadina is scoring 40 goals, Dobson is a Norris candidate and Boqvist is a 65 point D-man. That would certainly cloud our judgement that Brady was the right choice.

I really liked the way Tkachuk's game developed this year but he's still only a 20-20 guy. I love having him on the team but he was work to do and saying he was the right (or wrong) pick at 4th OA at this point is completely premature.

You draft the player who projects the best 5-6 years down the road.

Reactions: Frank8

R2010

May 23, 2011
My guess is passing on Rossi is probably not going to look good for a while. Listening to the TSN 1200 guys talking about him makes me think that some team is getting a guaranteed 1st line forward with an incredible work ethic.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
My guess is passing on Rossi is probably not going to look good for a while. Listening to the TSN 1200 guys talking about him makes me think that some team is getting a guaranteed 1st line forward with an incredible work ethic.
if that were the case, he'd go 1st or 2nd

jhutter

Dec 23, 2016
if that were the case, he'd go 1st or 2nd

I was thinking that as well, but I keep hearing talk about how he's one of the few players that can jump right into the NHL. There aren't a lot of players that can play the year they were drafted that end up being third liners.

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
Askarov at 3 and Quinn at 5, re-enacting the NYI draft (the last time a team had 2 top 5 picks)

The best part about this - is as pissed as we’d be as fans - we’d have added not one, but two prospects to our team that were more highly regarded than 20+ other teams drafted.

And those highlights from Askarov? I’d be shocked if Detroit doesn’t take him at 4.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I'd imagine the only way we are trading down is if someone knocks our socks off, don't think it has anything to do with who Detroit is picking, they will take their #4 or #5

cant see a team trading up to #5 for a forward because it just seems they are all so close, but limited Elite D and Askarov - so my guess is a trade up is for either of the D or Askarov

but it would have to be an impact player, Ottawa is not trading down for more picks.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
It's most likely because everyone thinks they won't have a chance at Perfetti. I'd be shocked if they didn't like him for 5th.
They dont from what I have heard and I dont think that should be suprising if you look at the organizations past draft history and the way they have approached the draft since Pierre and Trent Mann have been in charge.

Reactions: DJB

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
I was thinking that as well, but I keep hearing talk about how he's one of the few players that can jump right into the NHL. There aren't a lot of players that can play the year they were drafted that end up being third liners.
Who said anything about being a third liner? But being ready right away doesn’t mean you are guaranteed to become a 1st liner or star

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Organizational Needs (based on team depth and ability And availability to acquire other talent):

#1 Top Line Center (Stuz)
# 2 Top alone RW (Raymond)
# 3 Top Pairing RD (Drysdale)
#4 Goalie (Askarov)
#5 Second Line LW
#6 bottom 6 RW

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Organizational Needs (based on team depth and ability And availability to acquire other talent):

#1 Top Line Center (Stuz)
# 2 Top alone RW (Raymond)
# 3 Top Pairing RD (Drysdale)
#4 Goalie (Askarov)
#5 Second Line LW
#6 bottom 6 RW
Teams don’t run a #1LD and #1RD on the same pair for the most part.

They have 1 guy anchoring the top pair along with a #3/4 and another guy anchoring the 2nd pair with a #3/4.

Chabot doesn’t need a #1 guy with him, he needs a JBD (Methot). A legit top 4 D rather than the cluster of bottom pairing muppets we’ve been throwing out the past 4 years.

Sensenmann

Mar 15, 2006
Beryozkin with a nice yet rather unchallenged drive to the net and the rebound gets converted.
First point of the season to make it 1:0.
Watchable at the KHL main site.

Holtz with a goalscorer's goal finishing a teammates drive to the net/scramble at the long post, goaltender was already beaten. Also the opening goal of the game.

Chinakhov scores the tying goal with 3 mins left in the game. Amazing start to the season.

Last edited:

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
I think a question needs to be asked with regards to some rumours that Melnyk wants Askarov:

Does Melnyk (at this point in time), all things considered, want to "win" or does he really want to sell tickets?

If the answer is "wants to win", meaning he is willing to be extra patient and build from the net out in hope of building a contender, then I could believe the Askarov rumours.

If the answer on the other hand is "sell tickets and win back the fans", then he is most likely going to force Dorion to pick two high caliber offensive players who are going to get the fans excited to watch games again.

I am not suggesting that picking a forward at #5 is not a winning strategy, but it is definitely more likely a forward drafted at #5 will play in the NHL before Askarov.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
I think if they get byfield they will go with a winger if they get stutzle they will go with a D that’s my gut feeling.

I think Rossi and Stutzle will give a us a championship potential core

I think who they pick at 3 has ZERO bearing on who they take at 5.

It's BPA both times

Reactions: BondraTime

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I think who they pick at 3 has ZERO bearing on who they take at 5.

It's BPA both times
Yeah, I am pretty confident the "moving the 5th" was in reference to someone sending an offer they can't refuse, not "Detroit takes x player"

Players picked at 3 by us and Detroit at 4 has no bearing on our 5th unless it's the guy we want, in which case we will take our 5th ranked guy

Reactions: DJB
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad