NHL Entry Draft 2020 NHL Draft Discussion - Part X - [The Final Countdown]

Status
Not open for further replies.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Despite what I've been saying about trading down from 5, I put Raymond and Drysdale as a step above the other guys too and would have a hard time passing on either one of them.

Generally though, I love the idea of walking away with as many blue-chip prospects as we can get out of this draft. I'm happy to move up or down to do it, and I would be willing to put 3 and/or 5 on the table to do it. I'm a broken record, but in terms of winning the cup I'm not sure that one superstar is better than two or three regular stars. I really just don't know which one is the more effective strategy. As a budget team, I'm willing to consider the latter approach.

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
I Rewatched Drysdale clips after last night...There's some massive red flags with his game. unreal skater, but seems selfish imo, doesn't move the puck and when he does he doesn't do it well. Because he's such a good skater he can get himself out of trouble right now, but I see that being a bit of an issue in the NHL kind of like how Brannstrom was over handling the puck at times and getting in trouble. I wonder if he plays that way because he doesn't see the ice that well. I just want two good forwards. But the idea of Chabot, Brannstrom, JBD, a healthy Wolanin and Drysdale is intriguing.

Tkachuckycheese

Oilers/Sens
Feb 2, 2016
If The Sens get Stutzle at 3 and Rossi at 5. I think it would be pretty awesome if say the Isles pick is in the 20ish range they go for fellow German prospect and linemate Peterka. Maybe they could also swing for the trifecta Reichel at 33. They looked really good playing together for team Germany. All the Germans for PD.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Would anyone do this trade below?

To NJD: 5 + 33
To Ott: 10 + 17
I would certainly consider it although we would really have to give it a lot of thought. I assume that at #5 Ott would likely take Sanderson LD so if they make that trade they would lose out on a pretty good defenceman.

However, at #10 they could take the best goalie available Askarov G & at #17 Quinn RW might still be available or they could decide to pick their 2nd pairing tandem in Guhle LD & Schneider RD or Barron RD at #17 & #21. That might be a better fit for Ottawa IMO getting four 1st rd picks in this draft. They still have a number of good picks & prospects to choose from in the 2nd & 3rd rds.

Cat Herder

Formerly BigSensFan
Sep 21, 2006
Belle River,On
so if LA wants a D Man do you think they would trade #2 for one of our D prospects and the NYI pick

Say Branstrom, Wolanin, or JBD plus the NYI pick

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009

Quinton "Definitely" Byflied. Says he didn't interview with LA, as they weren't expecting to draft that high

Good interview. I just don’t see an ideal fit with Ottawa.
I’d be happier with Stutzle myself. Then again he’s so young. Definitely be excited however it plays out.

Cat Herder

Formerly BigSensFan
Sep 21, 2006
Belle River,On
No, neither one of those guys carries close to the value to get 2nd overall. They have late 1stish values.

That was why I included the NYI pick plus them.. it gets them a D Man that is closer to being ready than anything they would draft this year

we might have to sweeten it with a 2nd as well

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
That was why I included the NYI pick plus them.. it gets them a D Man that is closer to being ready than anything they would draft this year

we might have to sweeten it with a 2nd as well
We’d have to sweeten it with a lot more, it’s not even close to what it would take to get the 2nd pick. Imagine us trading away the 4th overall in 2018 for the 21st overall pick and Max Jones/Julian Gauthier/age rock Borgstrom, that’s basically what we are offering them with them having a higher pick.

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
One minute I really want Stutzle, the next I really want Byfield. Guess we can’t really go wrong unless Pierre tries to get creative. Now that the Lafreniere disappointment has waned a bit I’m behind bumped for our future. #1 C has been the biggest hole in our rebuild so far and we have a great shot at getting one here.

Reactions: ChurchOfAlfie

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Aragorn my man, cheer up.

Very disappointed we didn't get #2 OA, my guess is that LA will draft Byfield, unfortunately & Ottawa will be left with Stutzle.

This really isn't a bad thing. Stutzle is literally ranked no. 2 on Bobby Mac's list. I still can't make up my mind between the two honestly.

This was the worse possible outcome (3-5) for this draft & of course it happens to Ottawa.

It really isn't. We could have gotten 5/6 or even 4/5 pretty easily. We actually WON the third slot. I was pleasantly surprised.

Although it sucks Ottawa still gets two very good players, unless of course Dorion makes it worse with whoever he decides to pick in those positions. I'd be fine with Stutzle & Sanderson, but certainly don't want any of the smaller forwards.

Look I get it. You're disappointed we might not get to draft the giant centre and we may not draft Sanderson either. Just because *your* favourite might be gone by number 3, is by no means the disaster you're making this out to be. We could have been Detroit and fell three spots on both picks.

I'd honestly be fine with any of Rossi, Raymond, Perfetti, Drysdale, or Sanderson (less so him but he'd be so useful to the team) at 5. We can draft the D at 5 and get another quality forward with the Isles pick, assuming disaster doesn't happen with that pick.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
One minute I really want Stutzle, the next I really want Byfield. Guess we can’t really go wrong unless Pierre tries to get creative. Now that the Lafreniere disappointment has waned a bit I’m behind bumped for our future. #1 C has been the biggest hole in our rebuild so far and we have a great shot at getting one here.
Brown could end up our #1 C
Stutzle could end up on wing of brown or Norris and Byfield could end up a 2C

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
Brown could end up our #1 C
Stutzle could end up on wing of brown or Norris and Byfield could end up a 2C
Agreed, but he’s also been one of our our biggest question marks the last few years. Adding a blue chip C prospect is pretty good insurance for Brown’s development (and I say this as someone who believes Brown will be an impact NHL player).

Reactions: Icelevel

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
Imagine if Dorion had been able to get that trade through without lottery protection and the NYI pick won? 1, 3, &5 would be absolutely ridiculous.

Reactions: Cosmix

Emerica

May 29, 2010
They could win #1 theoretically too right?
Yes, if they lose the qualifier they have a 12.5% chance of getting #1 overall. The pick is top-3 protected so if they win the lottery, the Islander would still own the pick for this season. So the best case scenario for us is pick 13.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Even though it may make lots of sense to go for a D at 5... I would still prefer we add skill up front and hope for more of a project D later that we can develop slowly.

I want Raymond or Perfetti... We get a line driving C and a line driving W with that and the guys we have can compliment them.

not immediately
Tkachuk Byfield/Stutzle Batherson
Raymond/Perfetti Norris Weisblatt/Jarventie
Formenton White Collangelo/Coe

We could go Byfield/Stutzle and Rossi down the middle. Move Norris down and White over or ...

For D .. I won't take a D in the top 15 unless Sanderson slides , which he won't.
At 13-15 We could have a shot at Quinn, Amirov, Mercer and others ... I like Gunler there as well.

In the 2nd I will look for Barron, Wallinder, Grans, Jurmo and cross my fingers... lots of development left with those guys but the size and upside is there. If we want another RD with less size .. Niemela can play

The 2nd round can still net us a good skilled forward as well.
Khusnutdinov may drop
Peterka may drop
Weisblatt
Jarventie
Foerster

Power Wingers that can play
Collangelo
Coe
Groshev

Last edited:

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
Even though it may make lots of sense to go for a D at 5... I would still prefer we add skill up front and hope for more of a project D later that we can develop slowly.

I want Raymond or Perfetti... We get a line driving C and a line driving W with that and the guys we have can compliment them.

not immediately
Tkachuk Byfield/Stutzle Batherson
Raymond/Perfetti Norris Weisblatt/Jarventie
Formenton White Collangelo/Coe

For D .. I won't take a D in the top 15 unless Sanderson slides , which he won't.
At 13-15 We could have a shot at Quinn, Amirov, Mercer and others ... I like Gunler there as well.

In the 2nd I will look for Barron, Wallinder, Grans, Jurmo and cross my fingers... lots of development left with those guys but the size and upside is there. If we want another RD with less size .. Niemela can play

The 2nd round can still net us a good skilled forward as well.
Khusnutdinov may drop
Peterka may drop
Weisblatt
Jarventie
Foerster

Power Wingers that can play
Collangelo
Coe
Groshev

No chance Quinn is there at 13. If we want him we'll have to move up, which I hope we do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad