NHL Entry Draft 2020 NHL Draft Discussion - Part X - [The Final Countdown]

Status
Not open for further replies.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
So, is the consensus of the tiers of the first 6 picks as follows?

2/3

4/5/6

Are there greater gaps in between? Are there more tiers than the 3 I've noted? And how big of a gap do you guys feel there is between say 1 and 2/3 and then between 2/3 and 4/5/6? Looking through all of the mock draft lists many have posted themselves and on different publications, the top 6 seems to more or less be consistently the same group of players. Just wondering how excited I should start getting about where the bingo balls land next Friday.

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
The associate coach in charge of dmen actually. Speaking about Sanderson vs specifically the other dmen he coached during his tenure.

If you want to dismiss that as pumping tires, more power to you, but this is a bit different than kilrea saying "if you like drew doughty"
So you think he’ll be better or at least equal to Jones and Werenski more power to you also. I’d hope he would be equal to them if he’s drafted in the top six.

Sanderson’s second half doesn’t really stand out to me aside from a four game tournament, and his 4 points in the NCAA in 18 games kinda makes me raise an eyebrow.

Last edited:

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
So here's what's going to happen:

- We win the lottery with picks 1 & 2,
- the NHL doesn't like it, so they cancel the playoffs (using COVID as an excuse),
- they redo the lottery with new odds, we get picks 5 & 6
- Montreal and Toronto win the lottery.

They would never redo the lottery.

I think they could postpone it if they start having doubts about their ability to have a playoffs. Once postponed, the rules would possibly be changed. It is pretty obvious that teams near the top of the league shouldn't get a lottery pick, but I think the problem the league will have is distinguishing a cutoff, so instead they will just give everybody a shot in some form.

I think a fair trade off might be spreading the odds to all 31 teams, but every team could only fall one spot. So, while the Tampa Bay Lightning could win the lottery, at least Ottawa/Detroit/LA/Anaheim/etc benefit by only falling one spot, instead of a possible 3 spots.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Personal preference is probably the biggest thing about why some don't see him as a top 6 option. Imo he has the talent to warrant being there depending on what you value. Some had Boqvist ahead of Dobson (like Chicago) or Zadina ahead of Tkachuck.

And this is why I bring up the BPA scenario because it really is in the eye of the beholder unless a kid is head & shoulders above everyone else in talent level. Then again we have to ask where did he play, what was the level of competition, how good or bad was the team he played on, what were his teammates, linemates & even coaches like? There are lots of questions that are answered by checking the player out by scouts many times, over yrs & getting to know the kid personally, when possible. And then try to forecast whether that kid can translate his skill set & talent into the NHL in a few yrs given some move pretty far from home & are still quite young. After the top 1 or 2 there could be a lot of movement in this draft & surprises where teams have guys ranked, there always is.

I wonder how many teams had Lodin as the BPA where the Sens drafted him? My guess ZERO. The Sens may have been the only team that had him ranked under 300 or 500 for that matter, maybe it was another favour, who knows? There are examples in every draft where a player picked later turns out to be better than a good number of the players drafted ahead of him & there can be a multitude of reasons for that as well. The kid picked is not always the BPA on everyone's list, but he might be to the team that drafted him at that moment. Drafting is not a perfect science, but a best guess scenario based on your own scouts biases/preferences (likes & dislikes), homework & what the team GM is looking for in general.

I'd guess that some team needs are also brought up depending on the player & what the requirements are likely after the 1st rd. I would imagine every team has exactly where they rank every player in the 1st rd & who they will draft where. BPA is the player they like & want at the position they have drafted him at, but doesn't necessarily mean every other team has the same ranking, most likely not. BPA is the guy they draft, but doesn't necessarily mean he was or was not until he reaches his potential & value. Sometimes they are right & sometimes not so much. Scouts can be praised or fired over their picks, they all make mistakes & sometimes get it right.

Last edited:

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
So, is the consensus of the tiers of the first 6 picks as follows?

2/3

4/5/6

Are there greater gaps in between? Are there more tiers than the 3 I've noted? And how big of a gap do you guys feel there is between say 1 and 2/3 and then between 2/3 and 4/5/6? Looking through all of the mock draft lists many have posted themselves and on different publications, the top 6 seems to more or less be consistently the same group of players. Just wondering how excited I should start getting about where the bingo balls land next Friday.
Biggest gap is from the 1st tier to the 2nd I think, if Lafreniere went below one it would be shocking, if Byfield or Stutzle dropped lower it would be surprising but not earth shattering.

Pretty much a consensus on the first 2 tiers, the group from 4-6 is larger for sure, probably 2 or 3 other guys who could realistically all jump into those spots, and then another guy or two like Quinn and Lundell who could be picked like Seider and surprise people.

Lafreniere is the only guy essentially assured his spot, Byfield and Stutzle seem to be leading the way at 2 and 3 though could drop lower.

Guys who realistically slot into the 4-6 spots, if not earlier
Drysdale
Raymond
Perfetti
Rossi
Sanderson
Holtz

Could surprise people being ranked high by a team
Quinn
Lundell

Last edited:
Reactions: xVolchenkov

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
So you think he’ll be better or at least equal to Jones and Werenski more power to you also. I’d hope he would be equal to them if he’s drafted in the top six.
So, you're putting words in my mouth, its a nice strawman you've built but really doesn't add to the conversation. I think he projects very well just like those guys did when they were his age, but prospects are never sure things. If i thought he would be better or at least equal to Jones or Werenski, he'd be 1 or 2 on my rankings.

His coach was speaking of the players as they were when he coached them. I doubt his coach would guarantee he develops as good or better either, but i do think his assesment of where they are /were at the same stage in their development carries weight. Like i said, if you want to dismiss it as pumping tires, be my guest, i just don't think coaches are so eager to throw guys they have worked with in the past under the bus to pump tires of guys they are currently working with. I think its more likely an honest assessment by a guy who both has the expertise and is in a position to be exposed to required information to make the assesment.

Sens in Process

Oct 1, 2012
Biggest gap is from the 1st tier to the 2nd I think, if Lafreniere went below one it would be shocking, if Byfield or Stutzle dropped lower it would be surprising but not earth shattering.

Pretty much a consensus on the first 2 tiers, the group from 4-6 is larger for sure, probably 2 or 3 other guys who could realistically all jump into those spots, and then another guy or two like Quinn and Lundell who could be picked like Seider and surprise people.

Lafreniere is the only guy essentially assured his spot, Byfield and Stutzle seem to be leading the way at 2 and 3 though could drop lower.

Drysdale
Raymond
Perfetti
Rossi
Sanderson
Holtz

Quinn
Lundell

I honestly think Jarvis could overtake a couple of guys in the 10. I really think the the second tier of players is bunched together and will come down to preference of teams. Hockeyprospect's guide and others have said Jarvis has a similar skillset but gives a more consistent effort and has more willingness to get into the dirty areas than a Raymond.

Another thing form Hockeyprospect's guide is that it questions the offensive upside of Drysdale and his ability to become a number one PP guy. He is not a Hughes , although is probably more well rounded.

Last edited:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Drysdale
Raymond
Perfetti
Rossi
Sanderson
Holtz

Quinn
Lundell
6 might be too high but Askarov fits into that group imo, my guess is 8 to 12th). He could go ahead of almost any of them if a team is willing to gamble on a franchise Goalie

Reactions: DJB

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
So I think this is my top 10. Keep in mind my opinion is highly uninformed;

1. Lafreniere
2. Sanderson
3. Rossi
4. Lundell
5. Raymond
6. Drysdale
7. Holtz
8. Stutzle
9. Byfield
10. Perfetti

Personally a little wary of both Stutzle and Byfield. Byfield’s physical dominance and the observations that he has pucks roll off the tape concern me. Stutzle because doesn’t physically engage as much on the forecheck and in the cycle. Both are correctable and possibly just effects of the systems and teams they play on, but if they don’t improve it could hurt their overall roles as players in their careers.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I honestly think Jarvis could overtake a couple of guys in the 10. I really think the the second tier of players is bunched together and will come down to preference of teams. Hockeyprospect's guide and others have said Jarvis has a similar skillset but gives a more consistent effort and has more willingness to get into the dirty areas than a Raymond.

Another thing form Hockeyprospect's guide is that it questions the offensive upside of Drysdale and his ability to become a number one PP guy. He is not a Hughes , although is probably more well rounded.
I haven’t seen a single game of Jarvis’ this year, only highlights, I really can’t fairly put a projection or opinion on him other than what he’s rated and what’s said by others.

I’m not sure about that Drysdale bit, it goes so far against what everyone else has been saying, and what I had seen. 12th overall seems so far out of left field I’m not sure there’s much to it.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
So I think this is my top 10. Keep in mind my opinion is highly uninformed;

1. Lafreniere
2. Sanderson
3. Rossi
4. Lundell
5. Raymond
6. Drysdale
7. Holtz
8. Stutzle
9. Byfield
10. Perfetti

Personally a little wary of both Stutzle and Byfield. Byfield’s physical dominance and the observations that he has pucks roll off the tape concern me. Stutzle because doesn’t physically engage as much on the forecheck and in the cycle. Both are correctable and possibly just effects of the systems and teams they play on, but if they don’t improve it could hurt their overall roles as players in their careers.
Can’t tell if this is serious. No offense.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
NHL reportedly staying on target for the July 10th opening.

I think we're going to get our lottery.

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
IMO, 4-9 can be interchangeable

Tier 1:
Laf

Tier 2:
Byfield
Stutzle

Tier 3:
Perfetti
Drysdale
Sanderson
Rossi
Holtz
Raymond

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Any guesses on what we think McKenzie’s list will look like?

1. Laf
2. Byfield
3. Stutzle
4. Drysdale
5. Raymond
6. Rossi
7. Sanderson
8. Holtz
9. Perfetti
10. ???

No clue who will be the 10th in the top 10

Reactions: Sweatred and Cosmix

Sens72

Football Enthusiast
Aug 31, 2018
Canada

1. Laf
2. Byfield
3. Stutzle
4. Drysdale
5. Raymond
6. Rossi
7. Sanderson
8. Holtz
9. Perfetti
10. ???

1. Lafreniere
2. Byfield
3. Stutzle
4. Drysdale
5. Rossi
6. Sanderson
7. Raymond
8. Perfetti
9. Quinn
10. Guhle

Not what I would have of course but if it’s anything like the January rankings I think it’s fairly accurate.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina

1. Laf
2. Byfield
3. Stutzle
4. Drysdale
5. Raymond
6. Rossi
7. Sanderson
8. Holtz
9. Perfetti
10. ???

Laf
By
Stutzle
Drysdale
Raymond
Perfetti
Sanderson/Rossi
Rossi/Sanderson
Holtz
Lundell

wouldnt be surprised to see Quinn 10th

Last edited:

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
Tbh my knowledge of prospects ain't the best but:
1.Lafreniere
2.Byfield
3.Stutzle
4.Raymond
5.Drysdale
6.Rossi
7.Perfetti
8.Holtz
9.Lundell
10.Sanderson

Although I do want us to take 2 forwards with our 1st, so I would probably take Rossi and Perfetti over Drysdale.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Got the dream in my Draft simulator today, picked Byfield and Stutzle 2 and 3 then traded up to 11 for 21 and 2 2nds to pick Jake Sanderson.

Now thatd be a draft I think any fan could get behind

I came out of a draft simulation with Lafreniere (1), Byfield (2), Stutzle (3), Drysdale (5), and Kleven (56) and got chirped for reaching on Kleven so you never know.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I came out of a draft simulation with Lafreniere (1), Byfield (2), Stutzle (3), Drysdale (5), and Kleven (56) and got chirped for reaching on Kleven so you never know.
Not a reach on Klevin at all, he'll be chirped on here wherever he's picked because of the type of player he is, just like Carlo did. I like a few of the NTDP guys more though, Truscott and Faber.

He's another UND kid as well

Last edited:
Reactions: Bileur

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
NHL reportedly staying on target for the July 10th opening.

I think we're going to get our lottery.

That is the situation now; however, if the league decides to suspend, delay or cancel the playin and playoffs before the lottery is held, then I think the lottery might also be suspended, delayed or modified.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
That is the situation now; however, if the league decides to suspend, delay or cancel the playin and playoffs before the lottery is held, then I think the lottery might also be suspended, delayed or modified.

Less than a week out. Hopefully no bad news before then.

Philadelphia Collins

May 31, 2011
Why are they not having the draft after the play in?
Because after Matthews and a bunch of other players tested positive for covid-19 there is very little chance that this playoffs happens. as much as I missed hockey, it’s probably for the best.

A part of me kinda hope they cancel it sooner than later and have the draft in July and try start the 20/21 season in October

Reactions: Alf Silfversson
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad