NHL Entry Draft 2020 NHL Draft Discussion - Part IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Dude.. You were all over Crouse in his draft year.

2015 NHL Entry Draft

2015 NHL Entry Draft

Obviously some scouts agreed with you but you advocated picking him above a player like Konecny, who has become a 1st line talent.
I was, I was really hoping he could turn into a Tom Wilson type of forward, but it never materialized although he's a decent 4th line enforcer. I still don't like Konecny.

My point was though with bigger bodies that if they don't work out in the top six can sometimes work out in the bottom six so it's not a complete loss of a pick. Crouse for example, has turned into a decent 4th line enforcer while a smaller player might not fit into the bottom six if they can't break into the top six either.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Hearing Steve Lloyd and Jakubec stan Jake Sanderson on TSN1200 this morning, going as far as call him a potential #3 pick, makes me worried the Sens are planning on picking him with their first pick no matter where it falls. Ugh.

SPF6ty9

Feb 22, 2016
Caca Poopoo Peepee Shire
Hearing Steve Lloyd and Jakubec stan Jake Sanderson on TSN1200 this morning, going as far as call him a potential #3 pick, makes me worried the Sens are planning on picking him with their first pick no matter where it falls. Ugh.

Sanderson at 3!?

I don't think we take him. Lot's of doom and gloom that we will, I guess people psyching themselves down. If we take him at 5 or 6 I'll trust the scouts and their hours of analysis over my youtube highlight viewings. 3 sounds like it would be ridiculous though, probably click bait in spoken form or trying to project one of the teams behind us making a reach for need.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Every year there’s a player who people hate on for no reason other than they don’t know much about him other that the statsheet. If they pick Sanderson it would likely be like Tkachuk all over again, blind outrage for no reason.

Reactions: gab6511

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Sanderson wasn’t one of the guys everyone was following since the start of the season when we knew we would be picking atop the order, myself included, of course some people aren’t going to be happy to hear he’s jumped in front of the guys we were following since last U-18. Laf, Byfield, the Swedes, Perfetti, Rossi, Lundell, Drysdale have all been in the forefront of the minds of Sens fans for over a year, then Stutzle jumps in October. Many have their hearts set on these guys, and for good reason; but aren’t looking at guys outside that grouping.

Sanderson absolutely belongs in the group that could be picked in the top range, but he’s going to receive the most backlash because he’s the only guy that wasn’t in that grouping since the start of the year and is the guy people were paying the least attention to, if any.

Last edited:

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Man if the Isles lose against Florida in the play-in series, their pick should be in the 12-15 range and could allow us to trade up into the top 10 or be in a position to draft a guy like Quinn/Lundell/Jarvis.

In that scenario I wonder if we could package the 12th-15th pick with the 33rd pick and another 2nd to jump into the top 8. Definitely would be happy ending up with Sanderson with our 3rd 1st.

Could end day 1 with 3 excellent prospects that would be legitimate top 10 picks in most drafts. Dream scenario.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I wonder if the draft lottery will be re-scheduled again if there are any doubts about the league's ability to put on the post season with the recent news of the Lightning shutting down their training camp, and Matthews testing positive.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I wonder if the draft lottery will be re-scheduled again if there are any doubts about the league's ability to put on the post season with the recent news of the Lightning shutting down their training camp, and Matthews testing positive.
They’d need to redo the whole draft lottery parameters if they are not able to go through with the playoffs, that would take a long time to figure out.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Man if the Isles lose against Florida in the play-in series, their pick should be in the 12-15 range and could allow us to trade up into the top 10 or be in a position to draft a guy like Quinn/Lundell/Jarvis.

In that scenario I wonder if we could package the 12th-15th pick with the 33rd pick and another 2nd to jump into the top 8. Definitely would be happy ending up with Sanderson with our 3rd 1st.

Could end day 1 with 3 excellent prospects that would be legitimate top 10 picks in most drafts. Dream scenario.

This is exactly what I think we should be doing. Even if the Isles pick ends at 21 we should be looking to move up into the 13-15 range if we can. Someone like Lundell, Quinn, Jarvis or even Zary will be available there.

Reactions: Cosmix

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
They’d need to redo the whole draft lottery parameters if they are not able to go through with the playoffs, that would take a long time to figure out.

Yes, they'd need to come up with a new system, since the previous system was contingent on some teams being rewarded with lottery spots as compensation for not making the "playoffs".

I would guess it would be a weighted 31 team lottery, where each team can only fall max 3 spots.

All I'm saying, is I wonder if they delay the draft lottery as a just in case move. Even if the playoffs aren't cancelled by the end of the month, there's a chance with a second wave that they may not be able to play or finish them. Doing a lottery before the league actually knows whether the playoffs would happen could complicate things.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
If anything they will move the draft up

Oct 10, 2010
What did we expect? Of course players and staff from all sports were going to test positive owners and athletes couldn't have been this naive when discussing plans to comeback.

Close up shop for cleaning and get back at it.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
I'm not concerned about the season not being completed. European football league re-started, dealt with their positive cases and managed to keep rolling. So it can be done.

Might not hurt for teams and staff to be under tight isolation protocols right now though - camps are due to open in 3 weeks.

Six Assets

Tim Stützle
Jun 29, 2013
Ottawa

RANKPLAYERTEAMLEAGUEDOBHEIGHTWEIGHTPOS
1LAFRENIERE, ALEXISRIMOUSKIQMJHL11-Oct-20016' 1.0"196 lbs *LW
2STUTZLE, TIMMANNHEIMGERMANY15-Jan-20026' 1.0"187 lbsLW
3BYFIELD, QUINTONSUDBURYOHL19-Aug-20026' 4.0"215 lbs *C
4PERFETTI, COLESAGINAWOHL01-Jan-20025' 10.25"177 lbs *C
5SANDERSON, JAKEUSA U-18NTDP08-Jul-20026' 1.25"186 lbs *D
6QUINN, JACKOTTAWAOHL19-Sep-20016' 0.0"179 lbs *RW
7JARVIS, SETHPORTLANDWHL01-Feb-20025' 9.5"179 lbs *C
8RAYMOND, LUCASFROLUNDASWEDEN28-Mar-20025' 11.0"170 lbsLW
9ROSSI, MARCOOTTAWAOHL23-Sep-20015' 8.75"183 lbs *C
10HOLTZ, ALEXANDERDJURGARDENSWEDEN23-Jan-20025' 11.5"192 lbs *RW
11SCHNEIDER, BRADENBRANDONWHL20-Sep-20016' 2.25"202 lbs *D
12DRYSDALE, JAMIEERIEOHL08-Apr-20025' 11.0"175 lbs *D
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Man I like hockeyprospect.com a lot but some of those player rankings are really off IMO.

If Drysdale is outside of your top 10 and Lundell is outside of your top 20 give your head a shake.

On a positive note, I like the Evangelista ranking. Really smart and productive player that should explode offensively when he gets PP time.

Reactions: DJB and Cosmix

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
What did we expect? Of course players and staff from all sports were going to test positive owners and athletes couldn't have been this naive when discussing plans to comeback.

Close up shop for cleaning and get back at it.

What I'm thinking is the Lightning should have thought twice about having their training facilities open in f-ing FLORIDA and move it to another, less risky state. I'm also guessing Matthews must not have been following any recommendations to protect himself knowing the situation he's in. Like, you're a millionaire athlete in a very covid-heavy state....maybe don't be hanging around a bunch of people?

Bothers me that any player and team heading to the playoffs were not extremely careful up to now. They should all have been doing what all of us in bigger cities have been doing which is self-quarantining. Now we're all going to pay by getting zero hockey until 2021.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
Sanderson wasn’t one of the guys everyone was following since the start of the season when we knew we would be picking atop the order, myself included, of course some people aren’t going to be happy to hear he’s jumped in front of the guys we were following since last U-18. Laf, Byfield, the Swedes, Perfetti, Rossi, Lundell, Drysdale have all been in the forefront of the minds of Sens fans for over a year, then Stutzle jumps in October. Many have their hearts set on these guys, and for good reason; but aren’t looking at guys outside that grouping.

Sanderson absolutely belongs in the group that could be picked in the top range, but he’s going to receive the most backlash because he’s the only guy that wasn’t in that grouping since the start of the year and is the guy people were paying the least attention to, if any.

Kind of like Zibanejad in 2011.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad