NHL Entry Draft 2020 NHL Draft Discussion - Part IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emerica

May 29, 2010
The Dallas Stars let their rights to Curtis Douglas expire so he is eligible to re-enter the draft. He plays center and is listed at 6'8 and 249 lbs. In 62 games he scored 30 goal and 30 assists for 60 points.
Curtis Douglas at eliteprospects.com
He might be worth a pick in the later rounds.

Size is good and all but this guy couldn't even get to a ppg pace in his draft+2 season. Not going to pretend I watched him play but from the clips I saw his skating is also very bad. He will not sniff the NHL, ever. Don't think we should waste a pick on this guy.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
In two years we ice these guys down the middle:

Byfield
Brown
Douglas
Paul

and buy Aragorn a new pair of pants.
Take out Douglass, insert Norris, move Paul to LW, insert Kastelic C & draft the fast skating Coe RW. Should also draft Cuylle & Pytlik in the 2nd rd. Done. No need for new pants, I'm wearing an orange Hazmat suit mostly these days. Bonne Journée la.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
did so good and then... Kleven??

Ha, yeah it was quite a reach but I really think we need to add a large physical defense prospect and I figured with the home runs earlier I could justify a non BPA pick to fill what I see as a significant need.

StoicSensFan

ᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ
Feb 6, 2014
Cantley
Honestly, scout the guys that could go 4-6.

Rossi, Perfetti, Raymond, etc.

The sky isn’t going to fall if we end up with two of them. Imagine going into last season knowing we end up with (likely) two top 5 picks.
Anytime @benjiv1 posts..
giphy.webp

Its wild how all over the place the 2-10 rankings are. I'll trust that the scouts will make the right choice, I was one of the Zadina hopefuls.. happy I'm not a scout. :)

Reactions: guyzeur

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
Don t know where to post that. Lebrun said the league work on a plan to the seven team not involved in the play in. A mini training camp in September with exibition game because gonna be to long for the player to wait until January

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
Honestly, scout the guys that could go 4-6.

Rossi, Perfetti, Raymond, etc.

The sky isn’t going to fall if we end up with two of them. Imagine going into last season knowing we end up with (likely) two top 5 picks.

They are certainly good assets.

I think it's just that people, including myself, feel that in consideration of how absolutely horrible we've been, the draft picks we've been getting really aren't great value for our suffering.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Perfetti on average is ranked higher than rossi. I think he is pretty underrated here.

There is a lot of local Rossi fans ... I bet if Perf played in Ottawa it would flip flop. There are people here who have Quinn higher than Perf.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
There is a lot of local Rossi fans ... I bet if Perf played in Ottawa it would flip flop. There are people here who have Quinn higher than Perf.
What does Perfetti do better or equal to Rossi. The only thing is his shot. That is why I have Rossi higher.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Lafreniere, Rossi and maybe Stutzle are the only ones that could play in their draft year, I think.

Puikiou

Oct 15, 2013
1. Alexis Lafrenière
Superstar winger. Tantalizing blend of skill, compete level and power.

2. Tim Stutzle
Electric hands, electric feet, electric vision with some holes in his game (shot, inconsistent defensive zone play).

3. Lucas Raymond
Has a fair shot at being the best player to come out of this draft when it's all said and done. Absolute two-way horse. Pro ready game. Pro ready skills. Just edged by Stutzle due to projected positions.

4. Quinton Byfield
Not the 2nd best player in the draft currently. Still has a higher upside than anyone in it.

5. Anton Lundell
Huge brain. Plays a pro game. Has all the skill and all the room to grow into a Kopitar type or plateau as a M. Koivu type. Guaranteed center at the next level.

6. Jamie Drysdale
The lack of outstanding A+ defensemen in this draft inflates his value. Still a fantastic player. If not an A+, an easy A.

7. Alexander Holtz
Best sniper in the draft. Easy 30 goals scorer at the next level. Question is: ''how much more?''.

8. Marco Rossi
If he was 6ft2, he would be a top 5 pick. Unfortunately, teams don't win with 5ft10 first line centers and his game doesn't quite translate to the wing.

9. Cole Perfetti
If hands and offensive abilities were all that mattered, he'd be a top 3 pick. Absolute wizard with the puck.

10. Connor Zary
Based on his consensus ranking, this is the one player that people are going to look back at and wonder how he went so low. Plays the game right, with a surprising amount of bite. No clear weakness with limitless room to grow. Guaranteed top 6 center at the next level.

11. Jack Quinn
Great player. Great urgency and power to his game. Great shot arsenal. A la Taylor Hall, a bit too north south to consistently control the pace of the game.

12. Jake Sanderson
Not a dud in that department, but lacks the puck moving ability to be a top 10 pick. Great skating & great defending #2/3 at the next level.

13. Yaroslav Askarov
Franchise potential with all the risks associated with picking a goaltender in the first round.

14. Dawson Mercer
Lethal top 6 power forward at the next level.

15. Dylan Holloway
The upside to be a complete top 6 power forward is there. The lack of production is concerning. Needs to catch up and start dictating the pace of the game, which he's very capable of. One of those players that still has a spot in a bottom 6 if he doesn't pan out in the top 6.

16. Hendrix Lapierre
Ultimate wildcard in the draft. Has top 10 talent and first line playmaking center upside, but comes with a very concerning injury history.

17. Seth Jarvis
Skill and will are not in question. Size and ability to translate at the next level are.

18. Justin Barron
Jaw dropping skating ability for his size. Outstanding defender. Huge rhd. Not a pure offense producer, but can hold his own on the cycle in the opposition's zone and walk the line just fine. Borderline top pairing defensemen if he pans out. Big IF though.

19. William Villeneuve
Safest bet to become a top 4D beside Drysdale and Sanderson IMO. Jeremie Poirier gets all the attention in Saint-John for his skating, hands and skills, but I've never seen a bigger defensive wreck than that guy. Makes Ryan Merkley look like prime Ryan Suter. For all the acclaim Poirier gets for his offensive game, it's Villeneuve that led the team and the CHL in scoring as a draft eligible D. And he did it without cheating. Steady and smart defender. Underrated passer. Eager to shoot. Skating could improve.

20. Braden Schneider
Assertive, almost aggressive. Physical beyond belief. Good defender. Good skater. Good puck handler. Good shooter. Surefire NHLer. Question is: ''which skill will become great to make him more than a borderline top 4 defenseman and a guaranteed bottom pairing guy?''.

21. Rodion Amirov
This guy can really play. At both ends of the ice too. Relative to the amount of chances he gets, he just needs to figure out how to consistently finish. Very nice, versatile top 9 winger a team is going to get here.

22. Jacob Perreault
Biggest enigma of the draft. Easy top 10 offensive talent. Easy top 5 shooter. Yet, you come out of watching him play wondering if he's going to be a great top 6 producer in NHL or an AHL superstar. Steal of the draft if he puts it all together.

23. Mavrik Bourke
Consistently took over games for Shawinigan. Did it all and gave it all for his team. By far the best talent on his squad as a first time draft eligible player.

24. Lukas Reichel
Produced extremely well in a men's league as a teenager. More complete and rounded player than his counterparts Stutzle and Peterka.

25. JJ Peterka
Bull in the China shop type with an impressive ability to finish. I slightly prefer Reichel's cerebral/polished style, but both are top 15 picks in any other draft.

26. Noel Gunler
Good offensive player. Great shot, slight delay on it's release. Not caught quite in on the hype.

27. Tyson Foerster
Some team is going to be very, very happy to get a potential top 6 center at the end of the first round.

28. Ryan O'Rourke
I.n.T.a.N.g.I.B.l.e.S.

29. Jake Neighbours
Unapologetic chaos every time he hits the ice. Skates, hits, rattles, scores. Quite the sight to behold.

30. Kaiden Guhle
At times inconsistent and borderline questionable, but the tools to become a shutdown/matchup two-way D are undeniably there.

31. Ridly Greig
Another highly skilled sh*t disturber with lots and lots of room to grow.

Honorable Mentions:

Jeremie Poirier
Superstar if he puts 75% effort in his own end. Right now it's at about 12% and it's embarrassing to watch.

Alexander Pashin
Classic russian enigma with all the skill in the word, but question marks surrounding his skating and diminutive size. Huge boom or bust potential.

Yan Kuznestov
Impressive achievement for a draft eligible to play in the NCAA. Prototypical big defensive defenseman.

William Wallinder
Non-existent translatable offense at the next level. Still. 6ft4 project that skates and defends very well for his age.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Lafreniere, Rossi and maybe Stutzle are the only ones that could play in their draft year, I think.

Agreed. Maybe Sanderson since he is magically creeping up without games played (please Dorion don't pick him top 6 overall). Good thing there is no rush to play any of the selected 2020 guys, but it's a bonus if we pick an NHL ready guy or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad