NHL Entry Draft 2020 NHL Draft Discussion - PART IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
What makes you feel he would be a solid target? I'm curious to learn what makes him stand out from the other options available in the 2nd round. Are you really high on him or do you simply just think he could be a good pick?

I am not super high on him. His speed, skating and work ethic are really noticeable. I think he would be a good mid to late 2nd round pick in general.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
Future Scope Hockey has a mock draft board (https://www.futurescopehockey.com/2020-nhl-mock-draft)

It's randomized daily and you can search what picks are made by teams. Here's what it currently has for Ottawa.

2. F Quinton Byfield - Sudbury, OHL
3. F Tim Stutzle - Mannheim, DEL
15. F Dylan Holloway - Wisconsin, NCAA
33. F Vasili Ponomaryov - Shawinigan, QMJHL
49. D Tyler Kleven - USNTDP, USHL (Committed to Univ. of North Dakota).
50. D Joni Jurmo - Jokerit, Jr. A Sm-Liiga
53. F Blake Biondi - Hermantown High, USHS (Committed to Univ. of Minnesota-Duluth).
64. F Emil Heineman - Leksands IF, SuperElit
79. D William Wallinder - MODO Hockey, Super Elit
95. F Ryder Rolston - Waterloo, USHL (Committed to Univ. of Notre Dame).
152. F Will Cuylle - Windsor, OHL
158. F Alex Young - Canmore, AJHL (Committed to Colgate Univ).
185. F Nikita Shuidin - SKA-Varyagi Morozova, MHL
Unbelievable top 3 picks for us if that happens

I think we should target players with insane motor that rip the paint of the walls every shift

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
How come I just can’t imagine Stutzle being a 10 year senator? Rossi on the other hand I could. Anyone get what I’m saying?

I recognize the high skills I just can’t help but lean towards Rossi (for a number of reasons)

scallionjj11

FOREVERALFIE
Jun 10, 2009
East Coast
One of the more impressive highlight reels you'll see.

High-end shooting ability, hands and speed on display.

Not that I was doubting you but I had to take a look myself just to see what was up. After watching, you weren't lying. Defiantly one of the more impressive highlight reels I've seen in a while. The skill is absolutely through the roof.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
How come I just can’t imagine Stutzle being a 10 year senator? Rossi on the other hand I could. Anyone get what I’m saying?

I recognize the high skills I just can’t help but lean towards Rossi (for a number of reasons)
depends on how much money they want

jhutter

Dec 23, 2016

Nope. What are you alluding to? Also, a pick that is able to select Stutzle isn't going to be used to select Rossi.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
I am not super high on him. His speed, skating and work ethic are really noticeable. I think he would be a good mid to late 2nd round pick in general.

What is your latest opinion on Martin Chromiak? I remember that early on that you mentioned he was someone to keep an eye on and he ended performing well in the 2nd half of the season when he came over to the OHL.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
One of the more impressive highlight reels you'll see.

High-end shooting ability, hands and speed on display.
What stands out to me the most in this highlight is his patience. He has the awareness of how much time and space he has and that the opposition and the goalies are over committing. He takes that extra second to pick/time his shots and his passes. It is a good indication of his poise and patience and possibly even his hockey iq. That ability could make him a very successful NHL player.

ijif

Dec 20, 2018
If the picks end up being, say - 10, 16, 24

Who do you pick?

It all depends on who is available, but I guess I'd be happy with some combo of Quinn + Gunler + Amirov + Sanderson (not the order I have them ranked)

Last edited:

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
What stands out to me the most in this highlight is his patience. He has the awareness of how much time and space he has and that the opposition and the goalies are over committing. He takes that extra second to pick/time his shots and his passes. It is a good indication of his poise and patience and possibly even his hockey iq. That ability could make him a very successful NHL player.

Even though he slowed down a bit to finish the year, I still think he could be a surprise selection for our 2nd 1st if it's in the 5-10 range.

Checks off a lot of boxes for the scouting staff as a late riser who had a big growth spurt leading to massive improvement year to year.

Sensators

Sep 15, 2009

I have been wary of him because it seems he would have inflated ranking based off of there not being a lot of good dmen this year. (As well as next years draft seemingly having quite a few).

Also I think size/wingspan can be exceptionally helpful for defenseman to be effective (St. Louis defenseman are all big and can move, chara/pronger etc).

After this video and watching Q. Hughes a lot this year. I'm definately coming around on drysdale. I did watch the 2019 hlinka and he was exceptional there as well.

I think we need a top line forward more atm but if we have like 3 and 5 for example I would like to pick him with the 5th.

jhutter

Dec 23, 2016
I have been wary of him because it seems he would have inflated ranking based off of there not being a lot of good dmen this year. (As well as next years draft seemingly having quite a few).

Also I think size/wingspan can be exceptionally helpful for defenseman to be effective (St. Louis defenseman are all big and can move, chara/pronger etc).

After this video and watching Q. Hughes a lot this year. I'm definately coming around on drysdale. I did watch the 2019 hlinka and he was exceptional there as well.

I think we need a top line forward more atm but if we have like 3 and 5 for example I would like to pick him with the 5th.

Hopefully he's more Q. Hughes than T. Stecher.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Drysdale is not really a Hughes-type though. He's more of an all-around guy than a river boat gambler. Plays a far smarter game. Much better defensively but will put up less points.

Look at Heiskanen as a comparable in terms of play style and upside.

jhutter

Dec 23, 2016
Drysdale is not really a Hughes-type though. He's more of an all-around guy than a river boat gambler. Plays a far smarter game. Much better defensively but will put up less points.

Look at Heiskanen as a comparable in terms of play style and upside.

My point was based on size and impact, rather than direct comparisons.

Reactions: Hale The Villain

Sensators

Sep 15, 2009
Yea I was thinking about size but that's a good point. Heisk is only 6'1 too, drysdale could still grow a couple inches. Seems like we can't go very wrong if the draft isn't too impacted by corona.

jhutter

Dec 23, 2016
Yea I was thinking about size but that's a good point. Heisk is only 6'1 too, drysdale could still grow a couple inches. Seems like we can't go very wrong if the draft isn't too impacted by corona.

Yes, it appears that there is a wealth of talent available within the team's reach, assuming the draft rankings aren't played with too much.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I've been watching a ton of tape the past few days. I'll hopefully have something interesting to post tomorrow, but a few random comments for now.

At the junior level, Holtz is better in puck battles than I had previously given him credit for.

Stranges and Raymond are the best players in the draft at creating offense out of nothing. Stranges does it primarily with his skating, and secondarily with his stickhandling. Raymond just finds ways with his combination of skills, hockey sense and tenacity. Also it is unreal how many turnovers Raymond forces, and specifically turnovers that lead directly to scoring chances.
scouchings last report indicated hes actually pretty effective at suppressing others teams shots. thats extremely encourging. re:raymond

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
What is your latest opinion on Martin Chromiak? I remember that early on that you mentioned he was someone to keep an eye on and he ended performing well in the 2nd half of the season when he came over to the OHL.

Still an interesting prospect imo. Anywhere from mid 2nd to early 3rd would be my prediction for him. He is also one of the youngest in the draft. Aug 20 bd so not so far off from being eligible for next year. That could push him up. He has decent puck skills, a good shot and can score.

Reactions: RAFI BOMB

MatchesMalone

Formerly Innocent Bystander
Aug 29, 2010

"he’d likely be in the running for the top three of the 2020 draft had he been given more attention"

Top three might be a stretch, but as I said recently, watching him in VHL compared to Stützle in DEL, they're not that far apart. Another thing hurting Amirov's mainstream rankings is there's just not a lot of flash to his game outside of his skating. The most promising thing for me is just the incredible growth in his game from last season's Hlinkas to now. Tremendous improvements to his offensive decision-making and deceptiveness.

My top ten:
1. Rodion Amirov
2. Yaroslav Askarov
3. Shakir Mukhamadullin
4. Marat Khusnutdinov
5. Maxim Groshev
6. Vasili Ponomaryov
7. Yan Kuznetsov
8. Danil Bashkirov
9. Daniil Gushchin
10. Alexander Pashin

Status