Speculation: 2020-2021 General Lightning Discussion - Defending Champions Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
There's no way you can claim a guy has a potential career ending injury after they played in the entire playoffs. We have a better chance of using that option on Stamkos.
Yeah this is clearly for guys who are LTIRetired.

And it doesn't mention protection, just exposure requirements.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Schenn is better right now, he only plays <10mins a night and is reliable in them. I'm all for rotation to get Foote some more games in case we need him down the line but once playoffs start I want Schenn in the lineup. He was very good in the recent games he played.

Reactions: Whoshattenkirkshoes

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
Time to rest some guys. Not winning the division. This version of the Lightning isn’t winning the central but add Kuch and Stammer and we will see.

Start by giving Heddy a week off. Looks like he needs it. Need h8m to find it.

Reactions: Whoshattenkirkshoes

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
I've rarely seen a team just not give a shit more in such pivotal games. Throwing away a point last night and absolutely shitting the bed tonight just likely cost them any chance at the division. This team isn't beating both Florida and Carolina b2b in a best of 7 without a full strength Kuch, Stamkos and Hedman. Maybe they will be but I wouldn't bet on it.

Last edited:

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
I also don't get Florida. They have so many new faces this year and basically threw a lineup at a wall and it's really working for them.

Carolina is well structured, but man, we should be beating them.

It's tough without Stamkos and Kucherov so we're not at full strength which everyone seems to be forgetting. We're a different monster with those 2 plus our depth

Reactions: longtime lurker

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Just watched several minutes of drunk Kucherov. My depression is cured. I know he's not the only guy to get that nuts after winning a title but it's always funny to see a guy who is normally so introverted when the mic is out pop off like that

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
In the last 19 games Cirelli has had 1 goal and 3 asst's. Now it is a given that he does other things that help the team but centering the 2nd line those numbers are not acceptable. SHould he be moved to center the 3rd line one that is typically used as a shut down line and give Gourde or Colton a chance centering the 2nd? Or move Johnson back to center with Palat who have worked well together in the past and try Colton on the wing? With Sammer and Kuch still out for a while it is critical for the rest of the team to not fall apart losing a handful of games going into the playoffs. This stuff sticks in there minds. Yeah they crushed that last year beating the Jackets in the 1st round but playing either the Panthers or Canes in round one is going to be tuff.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
In the last 19 games Cirelli has had 1 goal and 3 asst's. Now it is a given that he does other things that help the team but centering the 2nd line those numbers are not acceptable. SHould he be moved to center the 3rd line one that is typically used as a shut down line and give Gourde or Colton a chance centering the 2nd? Or move Johnson back to center with Palat who have worked well together in the past and try Colton on the wing? With Sammer and Kuch still out for a while it is critical for the rest of the team to not fall apart losing a handful of games going into the playoffs. This stuff sticks in there minds. Yeah they crushed that last year beating the Jackets in the 1st round but playing either the Panthers or Canes in round one is going to be tuff.
He did score the series winner to take us to the cup final... but yeah. He's struggled offensively for like a year now...

At least his cap # is going down for his resigning

Point21

Oct 23, 2018
I would love for us to find another Lecavalier type player. Just a huge bodied PWF that can do it all

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
We're very small down the middle, it used to be an advantage with the speed but now the league has caught up skating wise and there's a size factor again. Point, Cirelli, Gourde, Colton is probably one of the smallest group of centers in the league.

People keep saying "drive the net" but our guys don't exactly have the reach or strength to do so consistently which is probably why we've been consistently pushed to the perimeter. Lots of chaos happens when you can drive the net.

Last edited:

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
We're very small down the middle, it used to be an advantage with the speed but now the league has caught up skating wise and there's a size factor again. Point, Cirelli, Gourde, Colton is probably one of the smallest group of centers in the league.

People keep saying "drive the net" but our guys don't exactly have the reach or strength to do so consistently which is probably why we've been consistently pushed to the perimeter. Lots of chaos happens when you can drive the net.
True although that didn’t stop smaller guys like Richards or Callahan to drive the net consistently. Gourde does it sometimes and I think it’s in Coleman’s DNA too but I think the issue is more that we have a different mind set and game plan: we’re a finesse team trying to do quick passes and back door goals. That’s not been successful though so we opt for the pass back to the blue line and have Hedman or Cernak send it either wide or into the goalies’ chest.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
True although that didn’t stop smaller guys like Richards or Callahan to drive the net consistently. Gourde does it sometimes and I think it’s in Coleman’s DNA too but I think the issue is more that we have a different mind set and game plan: we’re a finesse team trying to do quick passes and back door goals. That’s not been successful though so we opt for the pass back to the blue line and have Hedman or Cernak send it either wide or into the goalies’ chest.

Richards and Callahan were a lot more stocky than our guys and that style of play cost them a lot. It's not that our guys don't do it but they have to see a clean lane, they can't bulldoze their way through like a bigger guy. Finesse teams get shut down when you take away the cross-ice lanes which is why struggle against Columbus whereas a Florida just sends out Barkov/CV then Huberdeau/Wennberg to bully their way to the net.

I don't have a problem with using the blueline but that seems to be only attack recently and the shot selection and puck decisions from the D-men have been poor.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
This^, our PP is worrying. Without the threat of Hammer Time on the left, Palat can’t do anything. He has 12 goals, 7 of them have been on the PP when Stamkos was playing. Same case with Kuch, without the threat of his one timer from the right or a lethal x-ice pass to Stamkos lurking on the left or to Point in the slot we’re watching a team running out of options right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad