Speculation: 2020-2021 General Lightning Discussion - Defending Champions Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Expansion Draft Trade:

Killorn, Alnefelt, Katchouk, 2023 3rd Round, 2022 4th Round.

Seattle Picks Johnson.

Seattle gets a pretty decent Goalie Prospect, Katchouk who could jump in Year 1, a local boy top 9, a top 6 forward, and couple of picks.

We get cap space. I wouldn't want to give up the 2022 1st, fine with 2023 1st if they want it and keep the other 2 picks or Katchouk or Alnefelt.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Expansion Draft Trade:

Killorn, Alnefelt, Katchouk, 2023 3rd Round, 2022 4th Round.

Seattle Picks Johnson.

Seattle gets a pretty decent Goalie Prospect, Katchouk who could jump in Year 1, a local boy top 9, a top 6 forward, and couple of picks.

We get cap space. I wouldn't want to give up the 2022 1st, fine with 2023 1st if they want it and keep the other 2 picks or Katchouk or Alnefelt.

Preexpansion trade:

Palat to Edmonton for 21 1st, 22 4th.

To Seattle Edmonton 1st, Barre-Boulet, Johnson

Seattle picks Rutta

Seattle gets a 1st, a prospect who should make the top 9 year 1 and a local boy top 9. They take Rutta who can play in their lineup or be flipped.

We get cap space. Palat is riding high getting PP opportunities that he won't next year with Kucherov back. Sell high on him, use his main asset to dump Johnson. Barre-Boulet will be good but we need Johnson gone more than him, we got Gourde and Killorn still for top 6 LW. Killorn is cheaper than Palat and signed another year. Katchouk is playing his best hockey and deserving of a look soon. Alnefelt is still a ways out but not worth throwing in this deal.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Preexpansion trade:

Palat to Edmonton for 21 1st, 22 4th.

To Seattle Edmonton 1st, Barre-Boulet, Johnson

Seattle picks Rutta

Seattle gets a 1st, a prospect who should make the top 9 year 1 and a local boy top 9. They take Rutta who can play in their lineup or be flipped.

We get cap space. Palat is riding high getting PP opportunities that he won't next year with Kucherov back. Sell high on him, use his main asset to dump Johnson. Barre-Boulet will be good but we need Johnson gone more than him, we got Gourde and Killorn still for top 6 LW. Killorn is cheaper than Palat and signed another year. Katchouk is playing his best hockey and deserving of a look soon. Alnefelt is still a ways out but not worth throwing in this deal.
Do you think that is under valued for Palat? Especially taking this season into account? His regular value would be a 20-32 1st? I would absolutely hate moving Palat for what it is.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Do you think that is under valued for Palat? Especially taking this season into account? His regular value would be a 20-32 1st? I would absolutely hate moving Palat for what it is.

Not really. If he hits 50 points this will be only the 2nd time in the past 5 seasons he would hit that mark. If he hits 20 goals it will be only the 2nd time in his career he does that. If you look at ES scoring he's behind Coleman and not far ahead of Johnson, his point totals are inflated with the PP production. He also carries a 5.3M caphit which is hard to move in this environment and has just one year left. The only thing we could get is maybe a desperate team turns the 4th into a 3rd maybe a 2nd but that doesn't seem likely. I believe Gourde can replace him on the top line, Killorn when on is just as effective, Joseph can maybe move up and be productive. Palat is not going to be able to be resigned after next year so we need to start realizing he won't be here forever, better to rip the bandaid off now and get some assets back.

Point21

Oct 23, 2018
Im really curious how some of the kids in 'Cuse feel right now, Im sure they are getting fed up with not getting a chance to even get in the lineup compared to guys like Johnson and Killorn, even if its just for 1 game. Hope we dont see another Volkov type situation come up again with some of our top prospects like ABB, Raddysh, Katchouk.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Im really curious how some of the kids in 'Cuse feel right now, Im sure they are getting fed up with not getting a chance to even get in the lineup compared to guys like Johnson and Killorn, even if its just for 1 game. Hope we dont see another Volkov type situation come up again with some of our top prospects like ABB, Raddysh, Katchouk.

lol why would they be fed up, Raddysh and Katchouk have been under performing for years, this stretch of less than 20 games is the only time they've showed anything promising. Imagine thinking Ahlers need to get games over a guy who was on pace for 60 points last season and one of our top PKing forwards.

ABB will get his shot, already had 2 games and unlike his linemate Colton he didn't produce or show very much.

Typical case of overhyping minor leaguers.

Last edited:

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
The lightning look horrible. It's a grind of a regular season but god damn

It's simple. They play like they have there is no repeat. They play like they know how to they should be fine. I just wonder if we are taking the foot off the gas to save some for the playoffs. I've said it before you take your foot off the gas in this league and your liable to get spanked. Even if the talent level is vast between the two teams they are both professional hockey teams and if one takes their foot off the gas that makes it so much easier for the other team. Then you mention the other team is fighting for their playoff lives. Not a great recipe for team taking their feet off the gas.

Is it exhaustion or are they just taking the foot off the gas or are we really just playing that bad. It's probably a combo of all that playing against a team that needs to win as many as they can to keep pace and get into the playoffs. All we know for sure is they need to be a hell of a lot better than they are if they don't want a similar repeat to what happened a couple years ago because this version looks like they wouldn't last more than 5 games in a series.

Point21

Oct 23, 2018
lol why would they be fed up, Raddysh and Katchouk have been under performing for years, this stretch of less than 20 games is the only time they've showed anything promising. Imagine thinking Ahlers need to get games over a guy who was on pace for 60 points last season and one of our top PKing forwards.

ABB will get his shot, already had 2 games and unlike his linemate Colton he didn't produce or show very much.

Typical case of overhyping minor leaguers.
I think they easily could come in for a handful of games just to even see how they translate to the NHL level. I know next year there will be a huge chance for alot of roster spots to be open with the cap casualties so getting them into games while we are on the home stretch of the season, we can rest some of the top guys make sure everyone is healthy and see what we have going forward to next season. Both Raddysh and Katchouk have been really picking it up lately, so these 2 are really the only ones i see even being close to the NHL at the moment.

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
After re-reading CapFriendly's summary of the expansion draft rules, I don't think Kucherov is exempt from the expansion draft. While he'll miss a pro-rated 60+ games due to injury, I think this exclusion is reserved for career-ending injuries.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Has a NMC so unless he waives it he's required to be protected. He isn't waiving it and if he did we would protect him regardless.
Since he sat the whole season, we don't have to protect him.

Players with potential career-ending injuries who have missed more than the previous 60 consecutive games (or who otherwise have been confirmed to have a career-threatening injury) may not be used to satisfy a team's player exposure requirements unless approval is received from the NHL. Such players also may be deemed exempt from selection.

This apparently has been amended for the shortened season to be less than 60 games. So I figure all season would be deemed ineligible for the expansion draft.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Since he sat the whole season, we don't have to protect him.

This apparently has been amended for the shortened season to be less than 60 games. So I figure all season would be deemed ineligible for the expansion draft.

And when he plays in the playoffs that throws your whole argument out the window.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad