Speculation: 2020-2021 General Lightning Discussion - Defending Champions Edition: Part 2

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL
Bumping this thread. Go Bolts baby, enjoy it everyone. It doesn’t get any better than this for sports fans like us. 15 years ago I never would have thought I could be THIS happy, this obsessed, about the Tampa Bay Lightning. In 2004 I was fortunate to be at game 7. But I didn’t know the roster like I do now. I didn’t know the NHL like I do now. I acknowledge this board for being partially responsible for that and many on here that know the game better than me.

This is what great ownership and management does. Flips a market. This is a hockey town now. I’m proof of that.

Lockout ruined that team. I think Marty was 27, Brad and Vinny were 24. They would've contended for more Cups.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
If you're able to post these from the other series, please do! They aren't on the Tampa YouTube page yet, or available in Canada(?)

Just curious if there's any other Recharge videos for Carolina, Islanders and eventually Montreal
The Carolina series is the latest one they put out about a week and a half ago

Reactions: The Gongshow

DMB06

Jun 3, 2015
After watching both the Recharge videos I have to say Point looked a lot more explosive in those first couple of rounds. I realize we were playing gimmick defensive teams in the ECF and SCF, but I wouldn't be surprised to learn that he suffered a significant injury at some point.

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
There are some Strallman and Bishop buyout rumors out there. Wonder if they’d come back for cheap if bought out. Really need to reduce Vassys workload next season

Stralman looked good in our matchup against the Panthers. I'd welcome him back, but only if we have a spot open for him. I think we run with Rutta/Cernak/Foote/Schenn next year.

Reactions: TeslaCoilFan

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ

The full arena in Tampa Bay was really something. Sometimes crowds are nervous. Sometimes they are confident. That Tampa crowd was wired for Game 5, and they had zero doubt their team was going to win.
This may be recency bias, but if there was a tournament featuring all the salary-cap era Stanley Cup winners, I’d bet on the 2020-21 Lightning. Back-to-back cups under these circumstances? That’s incredibly impressive.
The moment the clock hit zero, one exec texted: “The tampering is underway for (Blake) Coleman and (Barclay Goodrow).” There was a tearful laughing emoji at the end. In all seriousness, I think those kinds of players will be heavily pursued. There are varying degrees, but we’re talking those who play a hard game and can line up with good players. Hyman falls into that category and so does Joel Armia.
I’m very, very curious to see what Tampa Bay is going to do here. If we’ve learned one thing about the Lightning, it’s that they will do everything possible in the pursuit of victory. Even with difficult decisions to make, count-out a three-peat at your peril. A couple of agents and executives feel they will have an easier time moving Tyler Johnson if that’s still the goal, because he played well and also because his contract is now with three years to go instead of four. There will still need to be a sweetener, but it appears as if his perception is improved from last fall. Mathieu Joseph is definitely ready for a regular role. But, would anyone be surprised if they pulled off some shocker to accomplish what they wish?
Thanks to Nikita Kucherov, I learned something new. There’s a specific exemption for players to endorse “malt beverages” in the CBA. They can’t endorse other forms of alcohol. Is this still necessary? Seems archaic.
Kucherov has 127 points in 113 playoff games, 1.12 points per game. Among players with that many post-season appearances, only Wayne Gretzky, Mark Messier, Mike Bossy, Jari Kurri and Peter Forsberg scored at a higher rate. Really impressive.
One fan who was thrilled to see Steven Stamkos raise the Stanley Cup: 21-year-old Zach Kennedy from Kitchener-Waterloo. Zach, who is battling Ewing’s Sarcoma, is a massive Stamkos fan, and has received both a signed stick and personalized video from the Lightning captain. During a recent stay in hospital, Zach kept a Stamkos jersey next to his pillow for inspiration while watching the games. Wonderful the Kennedy family was able to enjoy the victory.
Saw Martin St. Louis in a hotel room on NHL Network on Wednesday and assumed he was in Tampa Bay for the clincher. Bad guess, he was in Buffalo with his son, Lucas, for a tournament. Lucas was just taken 20th overall by Dubuque in the USHL Draft, and St. Louis’ eldest son, Ryan, who plays for the US National Development Team, looks like a mid-round selection in the upcoming NHL Draft. Good luck to him and the family.

Reactions: Peacefool

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Something to keep an eye on

Han has also said that JBB was the first NHL GM to buy his e-book.

TBL not yet using privacy.com I guess.

Last edited:

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Stralman looked good in our matchup against the Panthers. I'd welcome him back, but only if we have a spot open for him. I think we run with Rutta/Cernak/Foote/Schenn next year.
In an odd way it'd be easier to break in on the left side than right side right now. None of the right side are super high end, but they're all pluggers and we have four of them.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
some small nuggets I pulled out from JBB's presser:

On the likelihood of getting a deal done with Seattle similar to what teams did with Vegas:
"I know everyone's trying to cut deals with Seattle. We're not any different. So there's a lot of that work going on now. The Seattle situation adds a nice wrinkle to our challenges this offseason. Will there be deals before (the expansion draft)? I would think there might be. We may be one of those teams. ...There's a lot of chatting going on there usually is this time of year."
"It all depends what's that going to cost me. Having conversations with Seattle, as is everyone, maybe we'll cut a deal. I think it's also very possible that we'll present our lists, they're going to pick a player, and that's how it goes."

On being able to trade players this offseason compared to last offseason:
"I think last season was a one-off. There was so much uncertainty at that point. Were we going to be able to play? If we did play, were we going to be able to finish the season? What was the revenue situation going to be like? There were a lot of reasons why teams weren't eager to acquire players last off season. I think we're in a better place league wide. ... The sense I've gotten the last few days spending a lot of time on the phone is there's an appetite to add players."

On young guys potentially filling roster spots:
"You mentioned some young players, Barre-Boulet being one. Cal Foote had a really good year for us. Didn't play for us down the stretch or play in the playoffs, but I would expect him to take a step. Boris Katchouk, Taylor Raddysh, they're ready to fight for a roster spot. The reality is you never know who's going to be able to step in and adapt and strive. Sometmes it's the players you would expect and often it's not. A year ago, would we have expected Ross Colton to be the guy to would score the Stanley Cup winning goal? I don't know. The answer is no, but it was him. Who's going to be the next guy to do it, I can't tell you for sure, but those are the guys knocking on the door."

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Thanks for the cliff notes, sounds like he's already penciling in Foote and ABB.
Yeah if they believe Raddysh and Katchouk are finally ready we could see JBB letting the kids battle it out to fill the remaining holes in the lineup instead of looking for free agents.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
kid - Point - Kuch
Stamkos - Cirelli - Joseph
Goodrow (2x1.8) - Gourde - Colton
Maroon - Stephens - kid

Hedman - Rutta
McD - Cernak
Serg - Foote/Schenn

Vasy