WC: 2019 US Roster Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

SanDogBrewin

Righteous bucks!
Jan 14, 2010
On a tasty wave
twitter.com
agreed, I would like to see Vatrano playing with Hughes - I think they would compliment each other well.

Keller has been almost invisible out there, for me he has been our most disappointing player right now - not sure what to do with him but possibly pair him with some grinders that go to the net and open up some ice for him.

Yah Keller needs to do a better job of keeping bigger players off while he is handling the puck. I don’t really see him driving the net, seems to just wheel with the puck in the corners. He needs to breakout.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I think they're struggling playing their offside. It's a tough adjustment regardless, let alone the fact they're also adjusting to a bigger ice surface.

Drury deserves kudos for the roster but he really missed the mark with RHD. You can't only get one.
it is so obvious to see, just look at the missed breakout pass from Hanifin to wide open Gaudreau for a near break, when you aren't used to passing/shooting from a certain side of the ice it is an adjustment to get that feeling back..like you said, Drury took all the names he could get, unfortunately we as a country are not particularly deep at RD, or at least those who did not make the playoffs. Jones, Carlson and Schmidt are all top RDs and a bevy in Carolina as well..just couldn't get any of them unfortunately.

SK94

Apr 11, 2016
It is pretty amazing that there was only one good RHD who was willing to come and he is Harvard boy. Maybe guy like Pateryn would have been decent in third pairing. I think Drury didint even think about him. Probably there was some other guys like him too but he is one RHD who came to my mind.

I also would like to see Wolanin in top six. Maybe with regular minutes he can do better job in right side and then important guy like Hanifin can play left side like he should.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
I'd maybe try something like this:

DeBrincat - Larkin - Kane
Gaudreau - Eichel - Vatrano
Kreider - Hughes - White
Ryan - Glendening - Keller
JVR

Get a shooter (Vatrano) on the Eichel lane because both Eichel and Gaudreau are looking for a shooter to set up and that's not Kreider's game. And Vatrano has earned more ice time.

Get JVR off the top lines because he can't keep up with the play. He's fine when they've got a cycle going and he can park himself in front of the net, but that's not Hughes and Keller's game at all so he's not a good fit. Mostly he's either chasing the play or not even in it and it's like only having 2 forwards out there. Kreider can keep with Hughes unlike JVR and White is playing well, is good defensively, and can slide into the center spot as needed.

Keller on the 4th line with give that line a highly skilled player, albeit a not very confident one right now, that would still have two very good defensive forwards. Have JVR and Keller alternate shifts in the lineup based on who's bringing more and give them spot shifts in the top lines as needed.

Last edited:

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
it is so obvious to see, just look at the missed breakout pass from Hanifin to wide open Gaudreau for a near break, when you aren't used to passing/shooting from a certain side of the ice it is an adjustment to get that feeling back..like you said, Drury took all the names he could get, unfortunately we as a country are not particularly deep at RD, or at least those who did not make the playoffs. Jones, Carlson and Schmidt are all top RDs and a bevy in Carolina as well..just couldn't get any of them unfortunately.

It is pretty amazing that there was only one good RHD who was willing to come and he is Harvard boy. Maybe guy like Pateryn would have been decent in third pairing. I think Drury didint even think about him. Probably there was some other guys like him too but he is one RHD who came to my mind.

I also would like to see Wolanin in top six. Maybe with regular minutes he can do better job in right side and then important guy like Hanifin can play left side like he should.

I wonder if Drury misplayed his hand at all or if he just had really bad luck in that all our RHD declined, some for good reasons (contract issues) and others with no reason at all. Obviously guys like Jones, Carlson, Trouba, Byfuglien, Petry, DeAngelo, Pionk, etc. all declined. But did he go after everyone? Did guys like Ben Lovejoy or Scott Mayfield get a call?

While I applaud his attempt to land the big fish, it does your team no good to have 2 unfilled roster spots on a team desperate for RHD. You take RHD like say Connor Carrick or Steven Santini if you have to. Sure, you'd rather not have those guys, but you can also scratch them if you end up landing the big fish. But if you don't, at least you have RHD options. Instead, we have one, he's never played professionally, and you have 2 wasted roster spots.

It's a tough balancing act, though, so I empathize with Drury. Had the initial roster come out with a guy like Carrick or Santini, we would have all been bellyaching, myself included. But it would have made sense because we would have known that all the other RHD had declined, he was naming a good portion of the roster and obviously needed at least one RHD, and he still had roster spots to hopefully improve that part of the lineup, but if that he wasn't able to, at least he had some natural players at the position.

Last edited:

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I wonder if Drury misplayed his hand at all or if he just had really bad luck in that all our RHD declined, some for good reasons (contract issues) and others with no reason at all. Obviously guys like Jones, Carlson, Trouba, Byfuglien, Petry, DeAngelo, Pionk, etc. all declined. But did he go after everyone? Did guys like Ben Lovejoy or Scott Mayfield get a call?

While I applaud his attempt to land the big fish, it does your team no good to have 2 unfilled roster spots on a team desperate for RHD. You take RHD like say Connor Carrick or Steven Santini if you have to. Sure, you'd rather not have those guys, but you can also scratch them if you end up landing the big fish. But if you don't, at least you have RHD options. Instead, we have one, he's never played professionally, and you have 2 wasted roster spots.
the way I see it, it seems things went down like this -

Drury played a strong starting hand, the first 14 names or so announced was the best we ever had. How can you blame him from there thinking with that base of names set we would land 2-3 more solid to big fish after first round eliminations?

Drury wanted to at least make sure he had a strong starting top 4 regardless of RD/LD which he did....but then it seemed that the wheels came off as more and more names declined after the first round. Drury probably went into panic mode a bit to get another RD or two, but none seemed to be biting. Wolanin and Fox were then brought in because he had to fill the rest out and make sure we had competent players here.

I think to your point he likely did pass over some RD names earlier that weren't exciting or great players..we applauded him for doing so as well as not to rush and name the team, but in doing so seems we got burnt a bit here by all the no shows. I can't blame Drury for one bit, I mean last year we got McAvoy and Bonino to come after their playoff loss, I am still floored nobody came with the team we have assembled here to help put us over the top. Seth Jones is the big WTF as a guy that should be thanking the USNDP for every opportunity they gave him to highlight his young career, and he has only declined each and every time since he signed his big contract.

Reactions: William H Bonney

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
the way I see it, it seems things went down like this -

Drury played a strong starting hand, the first 14 names or so announced was the best we ever had. How can you blame him from there thinking with that base of names set we would land 2-3 more solid to big fish after first round eliminations?

Drury wanted to at least make sure he had a strong starting top 4 regardless of RD/LD which he did....but then it seemed that the wheels came off as more and more names declined after the first round. Drury probably went into panic mode a bit to get another RD or two, but none seemed to be biting. Wolanin and Fox were then brought in because he had to fill the rest out and make sure we had competent players here.

I think to your point he likely did pass over some RD names earlier that weren't exciting or great players..we applauded him for doing so as well as not to rush and name the team, but in doing so seems we got burnt a bit here by all the no shows. I can't blame Drury for one bit, I mean last year we got McAvoy and Bonino to come after their playoff loss, I am still floored nobody came with the team we have assembled here to help put us over the top. Seth Jones is the big WTF as a guy that should be thanking the USNDP for every opportunity they gave him to highlight his young career, and he has only declined each and every time since he signed his big contract.

Yeah, it's definitely a tough balancing act. I think the problem is the lack of balance. We've almost always had one extreme, which is our GM has filled up the roster too quickly, often with a bunch of low level players and thus hindered the team in two ways: those low level players don't entice top players to want to join and they cost you precious roster spots if you name too many. Whereas I applaud Drury for going for broke (it's better than USAH's typical approach), he also probably went too extreme with optimism. It's ok to take a couple low level players (a couple, not like most years though, as you can't dress all 22 guys anyway), especially when you have a glaring hole like RHD in the way the roster is shaping up.

I actually think Fox was tentatively on the team early, it's just he had conditionally accepted pending he was traded and signed an NHL contract. Which obviously Drury knew was in the works.

I think it's mostly just bad luck though. Connor Murphy - the Dylan Larkin of showing up here on defense - likely declined due to his back surgery that took him out of the lineup to start the season. Byfuglien has never cared. Trouba is an RFA headed to a huge contract and possibly a new team. Petry previously played three years in a row but hasn't shown up since he established himself as a top pairing guy in the NHL. Some of the younger guys that normally would be locks to show up (DeAngelo, Pionk) don't have contracts. A guy like Seth Jones becomes available and can't be bothered to invest in USAH as much as they invested in him as you point out. And so on. It's really been something.

It's hard to be too critical of Drury as he very well could have say offered a guy like Steven Santini and he declined. That's not something we would hear about. It's still Drury's job to fill out the roster though and when it comes to RHD, he missed the mark. The biggest issue I'd have is if he didn't try to get some of the recently available guys like Mayfield or Lovejoy after guys like Jones, EJ, etc. declined because he preferred to keep the roster as is. That would be a mistake.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado

Another LHD but big addition.

Well, this is certainly unexpected. A huge addition. Yeah, we don't need more LHD, but Werenski is an impact player.

His original declined invite wasn't unexpected as he's an RFA. But he could have joined the team in time for the first 3 games. I'm wondering what changed and why it took so long?

Makes Jones look even worse for not bothering. His defense partner, without a contract, is showing up.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
holy ****...

@William H Bonney hahahahahaha...Drury ****ing begged him to come!!!!

don't give a ****, that is massive even if a LD!

This is the oddest roster addition I can ever remember for Team USA at this tournament. Can anyone remember a player that's ever declined their invite at a point where they could have played in the entire tournament, only to turn around to join the team a week later after the tournament has already started?

Unless there's a pending contract announcement from Columbus, this is the most unexpected change of heart ever.

Hopefully he's there in time to play on Wednesday.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Well, this is certainly unexpected. A huge addition. Yeah, we don't need more LHD, but Werenski is an impact player.

His original declined invite wasn't unexpected as he's an RFA. But he could have joined the team in time for the first 3 games. I'm wondering what changed and why it took so long?

Makes Jones look even worse for not bothering. His defense partner, without a contract, is showing up.
I am literally speechless...for all the reasons you stated as to why..

You have to believe he kept getting called/texted by his boys - Hanifin, Larkin, Eichel, etc..and looked and saw nobody else was stepping up so he decided to come being young, no kids and knows his contract will be waiting for him in Columbus. Werenski you are my new hero brother!!

Reactions: William H Bonney

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
This is the oddest roster addition I can ever remember for Team USA at this tournament. Can anyone remember a player that's ever declined their invite at a point where they could have played in the entire tournament, only to turn around to join the team a week later after the tournament has already started?

Unless there's a pending contract announcement from Columbus, this is the most unexpected change of heart ever.

I can't recall anything else like it either.

I do remember Anders Lee declining because of his wedding last year only to see him on the initial roster lol...not sure what happened there but that was a hell yeah out of the blue add...but nothing like this being as late in the game as it is.

I hear Matthews is second guessing it now as well lol!!! j/k..

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
I can't recall anything else like it either.

I do remember Anders Lee declining because of his wedding last year only to see him on the initial roster lol...not sure what happened there but that was a hell yeah out of the blue add...but nothing like this being as late in the game as it is.

I hear Matthews is second guessing it now as well lol!!! j/k..

It's just odd that he had a change of heart after 30% of the tournament (if not more) is over, assuming Team USA plays for a medal. You'd think that would make him less likely to show up. Had he declined and changed his mind before the tournament started - a la Lee - that wouldn't have surprised me, but this is out of left field.

I'd guess that either Werenski is about to have a contract announced, although I can't imagine the Blue Jackets wouldn't announce that first, or his original decision was more about rest than the contract, and he was itching to play after a week off.

Last edited:
Reactions: AmericanDream

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
wtf hes left handed though

Is it really that big of an impact playing the right side ?

You add a #1 defenseman to your team and don't think twice about it. It would be different if we had 1 roster spot left, needed RHD, and both a top LHD and RHD wanted to play. Then sure, factor that in. But when you have roster spots to burn and can add an impact defenseman, you do it. He's an easy upgrade over everyone not named Suter, regardless if you have him play the left side or not.

Hanifin and Werenski were a pairing at the NTDP at the U17 level. I wouldn't be surprised to see them reunited. I think Werenski played the right side on that pairing but maybe someone else can remember for sure.

Reactions: SanDogBrewin

SK94

Apr 11, 2016
Maybe Werenski wanted to come but his agent and Blue Jackets didn't. Then he decided that f*** it i want to go. Unlikely but otherwise weird situation. Or his new contract is ready.

Reactions: AmericanDream

Nexon

Apr 18, 2019

Maybe his plan was not to bother against scrubs in round robin. Seriously though he has probably agreed on his new contract. I like him as player, excited to see him live.

Still I think there are certain points that won’t change. I think Blashill just promised Schneider and Glandening that they will play and inevitably will. Schneider gets important games and Demko the rest. Also Vatrano won’t get more ice time and screw it next year, that’s how you make players core for upcoming years in process!

Edit: This team can perhaps still add somebody from Carolina if they get swept.
I was thinking maybe Larkin is really banged up, just wasn’t able to heal completely and it limits his qualities.

Last edited:

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Maybe his plan was not to bother against scrubs in round robin. Seriously though he has probably agreed on his new contract. I like him as player, excited to see him live.

Still I think there are certain points that won’t change. I think Blashill just promised Schneider and Glandening that they will play and inevitably will. Schneider gets important games and Demko the rest. Also Vatrano won’t get more ice time and screw it next year, that’s how you make players core for upcoming years in process!
maybe he was just embarrassed of his defense mate and decided one of them needed to be here....you never know! :D

Reactions: Nexon

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado

I don't think Blashill is overplaying Glendening, he's just underplaying a guy like Vatrano, who's been pretty noticeable out there in his limited time. Glendening is 12th in time on ice for forwards, with 9:43 per game thus far. The only reason he's not 13th is Vatrano only played 1:54 against Slovakia, which was indefensible. I wouldn't really call those time on ice numbers outrageous for Glendening. If I were cutting ice time from guys to elevate Vatrano, I'd cut time from a guy like JVR first, but even then JVR's not averaging that much more time than a guy like Vatrano in the last two games.

Blashill hasn't really been riding his top forwards very much yet and I'm sure that won't change over the next few games as they should win the next 3 barring outrageous upsets. When the Canada game rolls around, likely with some heavy seeding implications, and thereafter in the knockout rounds, hopefully we'll start to see him ride the hot hands. For now, I'm fine with him keeping everyone involved and trying to find the right line combinations, if that's his focus.

The Schneider thing is what it is unfortunately. He's the veteran, he's been a top goalie, so I'm not surprised he's been given the reins to start. I don't think he's shown anything to indicate his starting role should be unquestioned but the Canada game will be the test as he'll obviously start that one. If he falters, and Demko plays well again in the time he sees over the next 3 games, will Blashill be ready to make a change? If not, then definitely crucify Blashill. It's one thing to defer to Schneider to start, but it would be another to not go away from him if it's costing the team. Hopefully it's moot and Schneider dominates. I'm rooting for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad