WC: 2019 US Roster Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rangers79

Aug 10, 2012
New Jersey
The U.S got a real good turnout this year, I know it's far from the norm but nothing to complain about this year. On paper this team should be at least a co favourite with the roster they managed to get.

I more meant as an in general thing I guess. This team does seem good but lots of notable names missing but I guess after playing a year of hockey they just want a vacation. Which makes sense and which they deserve.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I more meant as an in general thing I guess. This team does seem good but lots of notable names missing but I guess after playing a year of hockey they just want a vacation. Which makes sense and which they deserve.
It's always a struggle to get the top guys to come over and play this thing, always will be. However it seems like from the last 2 years there may be a shift coming in how American players might value this tournament going forward.

SK94

Apr 11, 2016

Blashill got heavy beating against Finnish coach in 2017 QF. I think Schneider in net is huge mistake(like we really expected anything else..) Also what else Vatrano needs to do that Blashill realize he can bring a lot more for this team.

SK94

Apr 11, 2016
US got couple soft golas too but Schneider is not good enough. Specially in medal round you can't give soft goals in every game. Eichel and Gaudreau least looked much better. White is now with JvR and Keller. IMO Blashill should just keep Hughes normally with those guys.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Hopefully this is Schneider's last game. While the hope was he'd regain his form here, it's clearly not happening. He can't control a rebound, he can't handle the puck, and he's giving up weak goals. His team is about to head into the 1st intermission with a 2-0 lead against a team whose style needs close games and he lets in that weak shot to give them life. And while the Finnish goalie gave up stinkers, Schneider maybe faced 1 good chance all period where as the Finnish goalie has saved closer to a half dozen good chances.

Last edited:
Reactions: SK94

SK94

Apr 11, 2016
You can't never underestimate Finns but it is embarrassing when finnish league players are more dangerous and play much more better PP than our NHL stars. You just can't be happy how this team is playing. White penalty is perfect example how much attitude change this team still needs. White would never take this kinda penalty in NHL.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
That was a pretty uneventful period in terms of chances. But every pedestrian shot on Schneider almost turns into something more with his rebound control, see the Kakko chance.

Colin White is playing really well but that selfish penalty just cost his team a goal. Yes, the Finnish player embellished it but there was no reason for it.

Our PK is way too passive.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
You can't never underestimate Finns but it is embarrassing when finnish league players are more dangerous and play much more better PP than our NHL stars. You just can't be happy how this team is playing. White penalty is perfect example how much attitude change this team still needs. White would never take this kinda penalty in NHL.

PP success isn't really about talent, it's about systems. The Finnish PP has been practicing and playing for over a month. That's a bigger advantage than the US having more skill.

SK94

Apr 11, 2016
PP success isn't really about talent, it's about systems. The Finnish PP has been practicing and playing for over a month. That's a bigger advantage than the US having more skill.

You are right but with US skill level you should do already better. And i dont really rate Blashill as a coach...

SK94

Apr 11, 2016
They've had one chance. You could have 5 Connor McDavids on the PP and they're going to have uneventful PPs.

Yeah it was just awful PP. Maybe i am too negative sometimes. Really important victory. Now they should be in QF even if Canada beat them. In this tournament you have to find your game quickly and there is so much work to do still. D was least better today but overall i am not too impressed.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Good win. They're getting better each game. Incremental improvement, mostly in the defensive zone, but improvement nonetheless.

That was a missed chance for 3 points but good to get 2. It's a long round robin, a lot can change.

Eichel has been our best forward.

Larkin has had a poor tournament thus far, hopefully that goal gets him going.

Blashill needs to figure out some new forward line combinations though. Vatrano needs a lot more ice time.

Reactions: SK94

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Defensive zone coverage has been painful to watch at times.

One thing we do too much on international ice is our forwards all drift way too far down towards our own goal. It makes passes back to the point and seams far too easy for the opposition. I hope it's not an intentional system but is more just that's a more effective strategy on NHL ice and it's hard to reprogram players used to that.

SanDogBrewin

Righteous bucks!
Jan 14, 2010
On a tasty wave
twitter.com
One thing we do too much on international ice is our forwards all drift way too far down towards our own goal. It makes passes back to the point and seams far too easy for the opposition. I hope it's not an intentional system but is more just that's a more effective strategy on NHL ice and it's hard to reprogram.

True but I feel at times Martinez and Hanifin, in particular, are out of position and watching passes go by them. Finland were able to cycle way too much.

SanDogBrewin

Righteous bucks!
Jan 14, 2010
On a tasty wave
twitter.com
Good win. They're getting better each game. Incremental improvement, mostly in the defensive zone, but improvement nonetheless.

That was a missed chance for 3 points but good to get 2. It's a long round robin, a lot can change.

Eichel has been our best forward.

Larkin has had a poor tournament thus far, hopefully that goal gets him going.

Blashill needs to figure out some new forward line combinations though. Vatrano needs a lot more ice time.

Good observation Vatrano does need more icetime. He gets himself in good positioning for that lethal shot of his.

Reactions: William H Bonney

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Gaudreau - Eichel - Kreider
DeBrincat - Larkin - Kane

those two lines should be dominating but havent been. not much else to do here IMO, the stars have to be stars. our entire team has had a month off almost as nobody here came from playoff eliminations, this is simply a rusty team that hasn't built that chemistry yet.

we still have Germany, Denmark, and GB to feast on, so hopefully we build from here. Gaudreau getting the monkey off his back was huge, and Hughes has his birthday tomorrow so team bonding is needed.

I cannot stress enough how hard it is for Martinez and Hanifin to play their off side, it hurts our transition game because they are adjusting to a side they rarely play. I also say take the restraints off the kids in Q Hughes, Fox and Wolanin, let them rush that puck up and put them in more prominent of a role.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Good observation Vatrano does need more icetime. He gets himself in good positioning for that lethal shot of his.
agreed, I would like to see Vatrano playing with Hughes - I think they would compliment each other well.

Keller has been almost invisible out there, for me he has been our most disappointing player right now - not sure what to do with him but possibly pair him with some grinders that go to the net and open up some ice for him.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Gaudreau - Eichel - Kreider
DeBrincat - Larkin - Kane

those two lines should be dominating but havent been. not much else to do here IMO, the stars have to be stars. our entire team has had a month off almost as nobody here came from playoff eliminations, this is simply a rusty team that hasn't built that chemistry yet.

we still have Germany, Denmark, and GB to feast on, so hopefully we build from here. Gaudreau getting the monkey off his back was huge, and Hughes has his birthday tomorrow so team bonding is needed.

I cannot stress enough how hard it is for Martinez and Hanifin to play their off side, it hurts our transition game because they are adjusting to a side they rarely play. I also say take the restraints off the kids in Q Hughes, Fox and Wolanin, let them rush that puck up and put them in more prominent of a role.

This kind of team bonding? Haha

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
True but I feel at times Martinez and Hanifin, in particular, are out of position and watching passes go by them. Finland were able to cycle way too much.

I think they're struggling playing their offside. It's a tough adjustment regardless, let alone the fact they're also adjusting to a bigger ice surface.

Drury deserves kudos for the roster but he really missed the mark with RHD. You can't only get one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad