Speculation: 2019 Trade Deadline

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
Contenders who have their 1st

1. Tampa - (2019 1st is conditional for NYR of McDonagh trade), 2020+2021 available
2. Calgary - has all 2019, 2020, 2021 1sts (2nd pick 2019 traded)
3. Boston - has all 1-2-3 round picks for 2019,2020,2021.
4. NY Islanders - has all 1+2 round picks for 2019,2020,2021.

5. San Jose - has sold 2019+2020 1st picks, has Florida 2nd rounder only for 2019 and own 1st for 2021.
6. Toronto - has sold 2019 1st for Muzzin. Has the rest of 1-2-3 round picks for 2019,2020,2021.
7. Winnipeg - has all 1-2 round picks for 2019,2020,2021.
8. Washington - has all 1st round picks for 2019,2020,2021, but has no cap space.
9. Nashville - has all 1st round picks for 2019,2020,2021.
10. Columbus - has sold 2019+2020 1st picks + all 2nd rounders from next 3 years.
11. Pittsburgh - has all 1sts for 2019,2020,2021, has sold 2nd rounders for 2019+2020.
Technically, we have NYI's 2nd this year, they have Calgary's 2nd.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
See Calgary as only fit for Howard.

But Nyquist could be fit to all Calgary, Boston, Islanders, Jets, Nashville, Pens.

I am not sure if Holland would send him there, but I wonder if San Jose might inquire on Howard as well. He is better than Miller at this point. They don't have a ton to offer, but if you're Holland, they won't re-sign Jimmy in the summer and it does put him on a cup contender and with the way Jones has played this year perhaps Howard becomes their guy during their playoff run.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
What about something like

Nyquist + Howard + CBJ 5th 2019

to Calgary for

Smith + Mangiapane(?) + CGY 1st 2019 + CGY 3rd 2020

Howard and/ or Nyquist retained on as much as necessary to complete the deal

DInTheB

Jul 27, 2006
What about something like

Nyquist + Howard + CBJ 5th 2019

to Calgary for

Smith + Mangiapane(?) + CGY 1st 2019 + CGY 3rd 2020

Howard and/ or Nyquist retained on as much as necessary to complete the deal

I have my own personal doubts that Calgary would be on a list of teams Gus would waive his NTC for. I get that they are a contender but I wouldn’t blame anyone for not wanting to play in Calgary. Nothing against the city, but there is a reason it isn’t a huge FA destination.

Reactions: Eternal Sunshine

DInTheB

Jul 27, 2006
The other thing about Gus and his NTC is that a lot of players hate the travel in the Western conference. Gus would know that issue first hand.

I tend to think his list of teams is probably mostly Eastern conference teams and then a place like Nashville.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
I think the Islanders seem like the best fit for Nyquist. They have a ton of cap space, they want to add, as they are top in the Metro, they missed out on Zuccarello, Dzingel, Duchene and he just feels like a fit.

Maybe Colorado would be another option, they have even more cap space than the Islanders and they are fighting for a playoff spot.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
As for the value that Nyquist has (at 48points) I would think that Dzingel (44points - two 2nds rd) and Zucarello (37points - cond. 2nd and 3rd rd) kind of dictated the value. He'll get a 1st or the equivalent I would think.

Reactions: DATSOMATIC13

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
If I'm the Sharks, I wouldn't be in love with the possibility of renting Howard in exchange for a 1st-round pick. As a Red Wings fan, I love the idea though.

Last edited:

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
If I'm the Sharks, I wouldn't be in love with the possibility of renting Howard for a 1st-round pick. As a Red Wings fan, I love the idea though.

For Howard, I think that Calgary is the most logical place. A team like Vegas, who have some room, could be a dark horse pick. Fleury is great but some insurance would be good and they do have a lot of picks and prospects. Would Subban be good enough to start a playoff game?

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Plenty of player movement now. Hopefully Kenny finds a good return for a couple more guys.

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
For Howard, I think that Calgary is the most logical place. A team like Vegas, who have some room, could be a dark horse pick. Fleury is great but some insurance would be good and they do have a lot of picks and prospects. Would Subban be good enough to start a playoff game?
I would be even less in love with the idea of giving up a 1st-round pick to rent Howard if I was Calgary than I would be if I was the Sharks. Vegas less so still.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Well they wouldn't be, they would be doing it for whatever futures they can get, whether you think it's worth it or not. Re-signing a guy for 4-6 years because he might help a bit for another year or two is exactly how you end up with contracts you regret. These are the kind of signings you make when your an actual competitive team, not bottom of the league.
Why do you think we'd sign him 4-6 years if we think he can only help for 1-2 years? If we only get a 2nd or 3rd in return, chances are extremely good that we never get anywhere near the same return on that pick as we get from re-signing Nyquist. The idea that "futures" is always preferable is how you end up in a rebuild that takes forever. It's one thing when we're talking about players that are way too old to be relevant in 2-3 years, or depth players that we have plenty of replacements for (Jensen). Nyquist is in a category of player that you sell if you get a good price (see Tatar deal), but don't dump just for the sake of any futures at all.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Ok what about roughly the same deal with Vegas?

Nyquist + Howard + low value sweetener like CBJ 5th 2019 (retention on either or both players to make this trade happen)

for

Subban(?) + VGK 1st 2019 + lowest of their 3 2nds 2020 (though I'd try to make sure it is the Dallas selection)

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
If nyquist cant bring in a decent(2nd plus decent prospect) of good(1st) return then why is he worth resigning and paying very very likely more than he is currently being paid?

If you think he would sign his most important contract of his career for less than his current, you're out to lunch.

Reactions: lilidk

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
After Howard's past extended stretches of inconsistency, I think the Wings really have to showcase Howard this week, flu or not, and show that his last couple starts are no longer a concern. That's what I would demand if I as a possible suitor. Especially knowing what Holland is asking in return and knowing that Howard probably wants to return to Detroit in the summer.

I wouldn't give up a first-round pick to rent him as a backup goalie. Nor would I give up a first-round pick where he would be a moderate improvement. And no matter who I am, I would just see him more as a goalie you might be able to take a round or two deeper into the playoffs, not as a guy you might be able to ride to a Stanly Cup. Even after several trades, he's still not at the top of the trade deadline market. So, I think I'm being fair about how the league sees him.

Last edited:

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Why do you think we'd sign him 4-6 years if we think he can only help for 1-2 years? If we only get a 2nd or 3rd in return, chances are extremely good that we never get anywhere near the same return on that pick as we get from re-signing Nyquist. The idea that "futures" is always preferable is how you end up in a rebuild that takes forever. It's one thing when we're talking about players that are way too old to be relevant in 2-3 years, or depth players that we have plenty of replacements for (Jensen). Nyquist is in a category of player that you sell if you get a good price (see Tatar deal), but don't dump just for the sake of any futures at all.

Well, Nyquist has no real incentive to sign a deal shorter than what he can get elsewhere, which is likely to be in the 4-6 range. I'm with you in not just dealing him for whatever, though. He hasn't exactly made this team a playoff team on his own, we're looking at a top5 pick this year after picking 6th last year. And anything less than a second is such a shot in the dark in the draft that it's not worth a whole lot.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
If nyquist cant bring in a decent(2nd plus decent prospect) of good(1st) return then why is he worth resigning and paying very very likely more than he is currently being paid?

If you think he would sign his most important contract of his career for less than his current, you're out to lunch.
Well word is the Wings camp don't want to pay Nyquist's ask of 5.5mX5yrs so IF we re-sign him it's unlikely the contract is massive. More than he makes now? Probably, but not by a huge amount. Maybe even a lower % of the cap compared to when he signed his last contract.
Nyquist is a really good player and I think the return SHOULD be a 1st. If no team is willing to pay that at the TDL it doesn't mean Nyquist is useless and has no value and shouldn't be re-signed. It doesn't work like that.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
I have a gut feeling Nyquist didn't waive his NTC. People seem to be forgetting he can just block all trades. That list he was asked to submit could be zero teams long.

Reactions: Hen Kolland

DInTheB

Jul 27, 2006
A lot of players also hate losing, which would be the case at Detroit for rest of the season.

Sure. But assuming Gus doesn’t want to play in Calgary, he can still conceivably win a cup in places like Nashville, Pittsburgh, Boston, Tampa and New York (Islanders, of course).

I know this is all speculative, but I anticipate this is what Gus approved trade list looks like.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
I have a gut feeling Nyquist didn't waive his NTC. People seem to be forgetting he can just block all trades. That list he was asked to submit could be zero teams long.
And if he didn’t waive I’d be of the opinion that re-signing shouldn’t happen.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
And if he didn’t waive I’d be of the opinion that re-signing shouldn’t happen.
I agree. Unless its a 2 year deal or less, which Nyquist obviously isn't interested in at this point in his career.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad