Status
Not open for further replies.

raymond23

:o
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Monday, February 25th, 2019.

Any thoughts? Green and Nyquist are the obvious pieces, but maybe we get more creative? Pulujarvi is rumored to be on the block. I wouldn't be opposed to buying low on some talented kids.

Nyquist - UFA + NTC
Green - NTC (Modified next year)
Howard - UFA
Jensen - UFA
Glendening - Nothing
Daley - NTC (Modified next year)
Kronwall - UFA + Modified NTC
Vanek - UFA + NTC

Last edited:

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Both Green and Nyquist have a NTC. Do they waive to go to a contender? I'm assuming Green resigned here because he likes the area didn't want to move?

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Green's also got another year on his contract. I think he would be really picky about where he's willing to go if we tried to move him this year. I have a hard time seeing Nyquist being difficult about waiving his NTC, though. It's not like we're going to try packaging him off to a bottom feeder and a good playoff run could roll some numbers over on his contract demands this summer.

I'd say we would shop Daley, but the guy's got to get healthy first.

I keep seeing Edmonton might be looking to shed salary and dump that Spooner kid. He always looked good with NYR and Boston. If Holland could manage to get them to package a first to dump Spooner on us, I'd be all over it - partly because I really want that first, but also I think Spooner could turn it around again and we could deal him off at next season's TDL for another return. I know being buyers in any sense probably isn't on people's lists of wants, but I think this could work well for us.

edit: and deal Jensen.

CaptainZetterberg40

Nov 2, 2014
I too though about Puljujarvi sometimes. I tried to follow him as close as possible in the year leading up to his draft. Thought he would become somewhat of a sniper (which I'm honestly a sucker for), but it never panned out. As much I would love him as I root for him to pull through to this day, I don't think the wings have been the best in developing talent to their FULL potential. Yes we have Larkin, I know. But I'm just not confident in those behind the bench or the scenes being able to get through to him. So again, I would love to take a flyer on him, but realistically (or pessimistic) I don't think he would work here.

List of guys whose contracts expire this year (cap)
Nyquist(4.75)
Vanek(3)
Frk(1.05)
witkowski(.75)
Kronwall(4.75)
Jensen(.8125)
Howard(5.2916)

Now as for our other pieces, we need to turn these guys into assets of any kind. I would love to somehow turn our current guys (whose contracts expire this year) into primarily two things; an extra first round draft pick and a decent defensive prospect. I have fantasized far too much about somehow trading Nyquist to the preds for Fabbro (we could add on our behalf somehow) as I honestly believe he would be a good fit there. But I'm quite sure that will remain a fantasy =(. Even if we dont get a defensive prospect for Nyquist, we still MUST come with a first rounder for him (hopefully 15-20), Is that really too much to ask?

A while back on the trade boards in what I believe to be a Howard value thread, someone brought up the idea of somehow sending Howard to the flames for Kylington. Do you guys think there would be a way to make that work? Does the prospect of him resigning him with us in the summer diminish his return for basically nothing?

As for Green, He's a good player on this team and as much I all for selling all of those who won't matter by the time we contend, I think Kenny will keep him around for mentoring the young guys. I can't be mad at him for that. But if a good offer is there, I would take it. Because the more I think about it, if you are relying on mentorship, you still have guys like Daley and Ericsson under contract for next year to provide some mentorship and a buffer for other young D to come up and make their mark. So it's not like the idea of trading Green should never even be considered on Kennys behalf. Besides, most teams may wait until next year during his contract expiring year to rent him. No GM by any means as you can see by my dreams of Nyquist + for Fabbro, but maybe the current extra year on his contract may cause hesitancy?

We're not trading Kronner and I don't mind that, let him finish his career here. Jensen, Vanek, Frk and Witkowski all will bring returns (or might not, idk) that aren't really that worthy of mentioning.

I'm not a Kenny fan by ANY means, but I believe that based on the past few seasons, he has shown he is capable of getting decent returns via trades. So i won't rag on him. But make no mistake, these next 2-3 years will be the most important and lay the foundation for the Wings for the next generation of the team. We have a rare opportunity to mold the team from scratch into our vision of a contender (this is where organizational philosophy that management holds is SO IMPRTANT). Cost effective/Flexible too might i add, given all the youth on the team. No pressure, but we CAN'T mess this up. Also, another point to add, that the current management of our assets MAY help in proving to potential UFA's that there is something worth joining for.

But to be honest guys, even though we're going through a crappy season, the bigger picture potential of this team has me the most excited as I have been in years for us. So many moving parts I would love to touch on but there isn't enough time in the world.

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
I don't think Holland will trade Green this year. The difference in winning percentage when he plays versus not playing has shown his value to the team. I don't think Holland would want to go through '19/20 without a clear cut replacement.

I am hoping Daley, Howard, Glendenning, Howard, Jensen, and Nyquist are all available. If AA or Mantha were moved, it would not break my heart.

Obviously, Holland is not going to move all these pieces before this years trade deadline. But the more picks and prospects we can collect, the better the long term future.

SuperScript29

Nov 17, 2017
Our best trading assets minus young players and picks are Green and Nyquist. If you wanna get the best value for these guys, this is the year.

raymond23

:o
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
I don't think Holland will trade Green this year. The difference in winning percentage when he plays versus not playing has shown his value to the team. I don't think Holland would want to go through '19/20 without a clear cut replacement.

I am hoping Daley, Howard, Glendenning, Howard, Jensen, and Nyquist are all available. If AA or Mantha were moved, it would not break my heart.

Obviously, Holland is not going to move all these pieces before this years trade deadline. But the more picks and prospects we can collect, the better the long term future.

Pretty much sums up my thoughts. Though I'd be very hesitant to lose Mantha.

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
Green has never won a Stanley Cup, at some point that may factor into his decision to leave Detroit.

Kronwall has drank from the Cup, I doubt he leaves.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
I'd like to see Nyquist traded in the West, maybe to San Jose or Calgary for a high pick. Maybe package Nyquist and Howard to Calgary for Kylington and a pick.
Jensen is traded to a team needing depth on RD, like Toronto.
I really don't think anyone else will be traded.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Trevor Daleys no trade clause ends 10 days before the deadline this year so he will likely be in play.

I also think Jensen might draw more interest than people think with how hes played this year too. I dont think a 3rd or 4th is completely out of the question for him

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
I also think Jensen might draw more interest than people think with how hes played this year too. I dont think a 3rd or 4th is completely out of the question for him

IMO, a 3rd is probably the baseline for Jensen.

However, I've thought all season that he has the potential to pull a 2nd or even a package similar to what Holland fleeced out of Jeff Gorton for Smith.

RH RD with the speed teams want, and at the deadline he'll add only a hair over $200k to a teams cap, so just about every contender can easily add him without doing any salary juggling.

Last year Michal Kempny pulled a late 3rd after sitting as a healthy scratch for half the season on a bad Hawks team. I have to think Jensen does at least the same or better.

As for the rest of the list (IMO):

Nyquist - UFA + NTC - I think it's 50/50 they move him or extend him. I also think his family situation brings him back somewhat affordably in the offseason
Green - NTC (Modified next year) - 99% he doesn't move until next season, if at all
Howard - UFA - This one's hard to gauge because the goalie market can go up and down quickly before the deadline. I think most of the teams looking for help in net aren't looking for a rental, and if someone does end up looking for a rental, they'll want it to be cheap. I think either way, he's probably back with Detroit next season.
Jensen - UFA - See above. Probably 90% chance he moves
Glendening - Nothing - Probably not going anywhere
Daley - NTC (Modified next year) - I think they explore what they could get for him, but probably wait till next season
Kronwall - UFA + Modified NTC - Not going anywhere
Vanek - UFA + NTC - Probably moves, but it's a complete wash. He's a clear step or two behind where he was last season, where without an NTC, he returned a throw in warm body and a low ceiling C prospect. Now with an NTC, he probably doesn't bring in any real measureable value, other than roster space to give guys like Turgeon and Svechnikov a look before they lose waiver exemption next season.

I can also see them trying to move Frk and maybe Witkowski at the deadline and waiving them if they don't find any takers via trade.

IMO, what throws a wrench in potential deadline moves is how the team played when their D was at or near full strength this season. Particularly when Green is in the line-up. I think Holland looks at that and tries to keep the band together in hopes that a few minor tweaks and some luck when it comes to health and young guys improving makes them a playoff team next season...

PelagicJoe

Mar 20, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Nyquist makes the most sense as a trade piece at the deadline. I suppose we could get something for Daley, Howard, Green, or Glendening. I know some of those guys have NTC, but that can possibly be worked around. Who knows. We probably have a few scrub prospects we can dump for more picks too.

avssuc

Hockey is for everyone!
May 1, 2016
Gulf Coast
Green's also got another year on his contract. I think he would be really picky about where he's willing to go if we tried to move him this year. I have a hard time seeing Nyquist being difficult about waiving his NTC, though. It's not like we're going to try packaging him off to a bottom feeder and a good playoff run could roll some numbers over on his contract demands this summer.

I'd say we would shop Daley, but the guy's got to get healthy first.

I keep seeing Edmonton might be looking to shed salary and dump that Spooner kid. He always looked good with NYR and Boston. If Holland could manage to get them to package a first to dump Spooner on us, I'd be all over it - partly because I really want that first, but also I think Spooner could turn it around again and we could deal him off at next season's TDL for another return. I know being buyers in any sense probably isn't on people's lists of wants, but I think this could work well for us.

edit: and deal Jensen.

I like it.

Why wouldn't the Wings be as creative as possible here? While Holland has has been great in rebuilding the past 2 years, I'm not sure he is seriously considering this sort of move, but I hope I'm wrong.

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
I think Vanek would waive his NTC for the right team, but unless he really heats up, teams wont be trampling each other to make an offer for him. I think he's a guy a contender thinks about adding to third or fourth line at this point. How many contenders go into the deadline thinking about their bottom lines, I'm not sure. Although, I bet if they shop him, they can get something for him.

I'm not sure if Nyquist's recent performance has anything to do with hoping to be traded to a contender. He might just be playing for a new contract with Detroit. He's been a Red Wing for a pretty long time and he has a lead role on the team. On the other hand, he might want to make hay while the sun shines, because by the time the Wings are contenders again, he wont be in his prime. I think he will waive and be traded.

Considering the NTCs on Vanek and Nyquist, Howard might be the only good trade possibility. Whether they trade Howard or not, the Wings will be looking at goalies during the next off season anyway. So, I don't see why they wouldn't trade him.

I'm less confident in the possibility of trading anyone else.

Last edited:

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
"Extending and gaining Howard and Nyquist for years to come was our TDL move. I like where we're at as an organization and these are two key pieces and good locker room guys to teach and continue the tradition around here"
your-words-hurt-my-heart-com-16244092.png

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
Haha! Yeah... but they'll have Abdelkader for their locker room leader for like the next four seasons and they've already invested in pro-Abedelkader propaganda commercials amid mounting disappointment.

They probably wont get a ton for Vanek. So, I figure either Howard or Nyquist has to go to really keep them rebuilding. Actually, if they really want a chance at good lottery picks for the next few years, then go ahead and extend Howard, because a goalie has a lot of impact.

They traded Tatar; they'll try to trade Nyquist. They should.

Last edited:
Reactions: avssuc

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Haha! Yeah... but they'll have Abdelkader for their locker room leader for like the next four seasons and they've already invested in pro-Abedelkader propaganda commercials amid mounting disappointment.
I really wonder about this.

For a moment, let's pretend Justin Abdelkader is an above average NHL player signed to a reasonable contract. I STILL wouldn't understand the amount of PR spin being generated about him. And not just from writers or team staff, but from other players during interviews.

Guys sometimes spoke glowingly about Yzerman or Lidstrom, but it was no big deal to hear it, because those were punch button HOF players who did great things for this franchise during an historic era of success.

So why is Abby getting the executive treatment? Even if he was having a season like Nyquist is having, you don't hear minstrels singing the praises of Gustav Nyquist anywhere near as often as the Hallelujah Chorus going on for Abdelkader these days.

It's borderline creepy.

Reactions: DetroitRed

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
I really wonder about this.

For a moment, let's pretend Justin Abdelkader is an above average NHL player signed to a reasonable contract. I STILL wouldn't understand the amount of PR spin being generated about him. And not just from writers or team staff, but from other players during interviews.

Guys sometimes spoke glowingly about Yzerman or Lidstrom, but it was no big deal to hear it, because those were punch button HOF players who did great things for this franchise during an historic era of success.

So why is Abby getting the executive treatment? Even if he was having a season like Nyquist is having, you don't hear minstrels singing the praises of Gustav Nyquist anywhere near as often as the Hallelujah Chorus going on for Abdelkader these days.

It's borderline creepy.
Well, I don't know if everyone is in on it, but I'm glad I'm not the only one noticing it.

He has been around a long time. He's an assistant captain. Maybe that's all their is to it. On the other hand, those commercials!:laugh:

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
I'd be interested to see the bids fans of other teams place on guys like Nyquist, Howard, Vanek, etc.

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
I think Nyquist should get a huge haul, he looks so good this year. It will be a shame to not watch him anymore, I love his game right now.

Reactions: PelagicJoe
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad