Prospect Info: 2019 NHL Draft Talk Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
After watching Mantha dominate at the World Championships (albeit playing against lesser competition most of the time) and play with the kind of passion that the fans want to see from him on a nightly basis, while flashing some high-end skill (backhand saucer assist, one timers, his first goal against Germany) I would be very torn if we made a move like this. Obviously, you don't know if Mantha plays like this next year, but I think that a lot of his consistency issues had something to do with how bad this team was. Given the improvement of our young players, Mantha might start hitting that next level that we hoped for since the day he was drafted. Although, getting Byram+Turcotte/Dach would certainly be a great move to become a future contender. Swap Mantha for AA and I'm all in.

I take it with a massive grain of salt. All his production is coming against the weaker teams, and the slick through the leg goal was against Germany. If he was doing this against the top teams, than I would be more excited, but France, Great Britain, Slovakia and Germany are very weak, especially the first 2 teams.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
I take it with a massive grain of salt. All his production is coming against the weaker teams, and the slick through the leg goal was against Germany. If he was doing this against the top teams, than I would be more excited, but France, Great Britain, Slovakia and Germany are very weak, especially the first 2 teams.

I would assume then that Larkin is also dominating as well as he too is playing against a number of equally atrocious teams

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Curious to see where he gets picked... he has been killing it in the playoffs.

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
On the topic of Byram: while I expect he goes top 5, I wouldn't be shocked to see him available at #6. Assuming we see Hughes/Kakko, all it would take is three teams liking one forward better than Byram. I could see something like

3. Turcotte
4. Cozens
5. Zegras

or

3. Dach
4. Turcotte/Cozens/Zegras/Krebs/pick your poison
5. Podkolzin

If you're married to the idea of a defenseman at #6 (I'm not, personally), I wouldn't be totally crestfallen yet.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I would assume then that Larkin is also dominating as well as he too is playing against a number of equally atrocious teams

To me these tournaments, especially early on don't mean all that much. Just look at the teams in each pool, other than the top 3 or 4, each of them has 3 or 4 really poor teams. I am also not worried about Larkin as he played hard and awesome all year. Mantha right now, turns it on in short spurts and then coasts for too much time, which is why I worry about him. Hopefully he works past the coasting soon at the NHL level.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Pronman released his rankings today. The 2 lists I put the most stock into are the rankings from hockeyprospect.com and Bob Mckenzie's list, but I thought there were some interesting comments in here.

USNTDP center Jack Hughes on Zegras: “He’s the most creative player on our team. He thinks outside the box, he’s really smart and super crafty with his hands and movements. He’s really slippery. He’s an easy guy to play with knowing he’ll always give you great passes.”

USNTDP U18 coach John Wroblewski on Turcotte: “Sandpaper and silk. He’s the perfect blend of speed, skill and power. He’s kind of a Brad Marchand type who plays center. He’s got that 1-on-1 ability, he’s got a great shot in tight, unbelievable vision and he plays with an edge. His game is predicated on him driving the puck to the net and putting the opposition on their heels. His bravery combined with his speed makes him the player that he is.”

Full article: Pronman's 2019 NHL Draft Board: Top 107 prospects

Last edited:

Christien

May 1, 2010
Pronman released his rankings today. The 2 lists I put the most stock into are the rankings from hockeyprospect.com and Bob Mckenzie's list, but I thought there were some interesting comments in here.

USNTDP center Jack Hughes on Zegras: “He’s the most creative player on our team. He thinks outside the box, he’s really smart and super crafty with his hands and movements. He’s really slippery. He’s an easy guy to play with knowing he’ll always give you great passes.”

USNTDP U18 coach John Wroblewski on Turcotte: “Sandpaper and silk. He’s the perfect blend of speed, skill and power. He’s kind of a Brad Marchand type who plays center. He’s got that 1-on-1 ability, he’s got a great shot in tight, unbelievable vision and he plays with an edge. His game is predicated on him driving the puck to the net and putting the opposition on their heels. His bravery combined with his speed makes him the player that he is.”

I really, really want us to pick Zegras if Byram doesn't fall to us. It's just a shame he isn't right handed, that's why I like Dach. This draft is going to be good since there's so many different players we could take at 6. I also found it interesting that he has Caufield at 5, and Soderstrom at 27

Last edited:

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018

I know he likes to be different, but this year I feel like there is a heavy amount of American bias. The fact that all these USNTDP kids played together and fed off each other just inflated how highly they were thought of. The hype machine has worked.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Latest trade rumors from TSN:

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl-off-season-watch-nashville-predators-ready-to-make-changes-1.1308955

It'll be interesting to see whether Nashville moves Subban, and what Carolina does with Faulk. But this also caught my eye:

Joe Smith of The Athletic believes the Lightning may try to trade Callahan at the NHL Draft, though he adds Tampa Bay will likely have to deal a draft pick or prospect to entice a team to take the forward back. He adds that buying out Callahan could also be an option, though it would leave the Lightning with a $2.67 million hit against their cap this season and $1.57 million hit against the cap in 2020-21. Tampa Bay is already facing a cap crunch with $74 million committed to just 17 players (including Callahan) for next season with Brayden Point still in need of a contract.

Callahan's agent, Stephen Bartlett, told The Athletic that he has not discussed Callahan's future with the team's front office yet, but added the forward will submit his 15-team approved trade list.

Maybe a late 2nd to Tampa for Callahan and their 1st? Or is that too rich? (Assuming he would approve being dealt here.)

EDIT: Oh snap, can you imagine if it was a sweeter package to acquire Callahan and both a 1st + 2nd in 2020...and then using those picks to offer sheet Point? That would be downright ruthless.

Last edited:

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
Latest trade rumors from TSN:

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl-off-season-watch-nashville-predators-ready-to-make-changes-1.1308955

It'll be interesting to see whether Nashville moves Subban, and what Carolina does with Faulk. But this also caught my eye:

Joe Smith of The Athletic believes the Lightning may try to trade Callahan at the NHL Draft, though he adds Tampa Bay will likely have to deal a draft pick or prospect to entice a team to take the forward back. He adds that buying out Callahan could also be an option, though it would leave the Lightning with a $2.67 million hit against their cap this season and $1.57 million hit against the cap in 2020-21. Tampa Bay is already facing a cap crunch with $74 million committed to just 17 players (including Callahan) for next season with Brayden Point still in need of a contract.

Callahan's agent, Stephen Bartlett, told The Athletic that he has not discussed Callahan's future with the team's front office yet, but added the forward will submit his 15-team approved trade list.

Maybe a late 2nd to Tampa for Callahan and their 1st? Or is that too rich? (Assuming he would approve being dealt here.)
I’d be just as happy with a 2020 2nd , don’t think they’d be willing to give up their first , could be wrong . Nyquist’s trade turns into a 2nd And wed possibly be looking at 4 2nds next draft which is suppose to be really deep and we’d likely be looking to add more with green.

Maybe the 27th plus Callahan and a 4th 2020 for the wings 65th pick and then eat salary off Callahan and move him for another pick ? (wouldn’t want him to take up a roster spot from a kid and don’t think he’d want to play for Detroit anyways )

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I know he likes to be different, but this year I feel like there is a heavy amount of American bias. The fact that all these USNTDP kids played together and fed off each other just inflated how highly they were thought of. The hype machine has worked.

Nah, this is a legitimately good NDTP class. Not all of their classes are strong, but this one is legitimately good, at least in terms of forwards and in net. They aren't being inflated by a bad OHL draft class as you might think.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
My wishful thinking mock draft

Nhl mock
1. Alex Turcotte C
2. Nick Robertson W
2. Jamieson Rees C
2. Vladislav Kolyachonok D
3. Yegor Spiridonov C
4. Arseni Gritsyuk W
5. Hugo Alnefelt G
5. Mikhail Abramov C/W
6. Ronnie Attard D
7. Nick Abruzzese C
Only 2 D's? Are we converting some of our prospects to defenseman?

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
EDIT: Oh snap, can you imagine if it was a sweeter package to acquire Callahan and both a 1st + 2nd in 2020...and then using those picks to offer sheet Point? That would be downright ruthless.

You must use your own picks for offer sheets, but I like the way you think! Also it would take 4 1sts for Point.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Nah, this is a legitimately good NDTP class. Not all of their classes are strong, but this one is legitimately good, at least in terms of forwards and in net. They aren't being inflated by a bad OHL draft class as you might think.

I realize they are good individually, but I don't think they are this good. I don't think you can safely project 4 of the best players in this draft class to be top 6, or 5 of the top 8. Or you do so with a massive amount of risk in projecting seamless transitions of players like Caufield and Zegras.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I don't think you can safely project 4 of the best players in this draft class to be top 6, or 5 of the top 8. Or you do so with a massive amount of risk in projecting seamless transitions of players like Caufield and Zegras.

Curious why you feel this way.

On one hand, I do think Hughes inflated the value of Caufield (a good amount) and Zegras (a little). But I feel very comfortable in saying at least 4 of the top 10 picks should be from the NTDP in this draft, and probably close to half of the top 15 picks should be. There is just a great collection of talent this year from that team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad