Post-Game Talk: 2019 NHL Draft - Caps pick McMichael (25), Leason (56), Protas (91), Has (153)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
I’d prefer a hockey trade as well, but I don’t think the Caps and Wild are good trading partners in that regard.
Niskanen was the route there. Niskanen + futures for Zucker might have worked, if BMac was willing to backfill the D with prospects or cheapo UFA. As it is, not enough cap space to take on Zucker.

I liked the Niskanen trade in a vacuum. I don't like it as much in retrospect, given his contract and quality could have helped facilitate a trade for two legit targets in Zucker and Kyle Connor.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Sporting News gives the Caps an A-
Washington Capitals
You don't need double-digit picks in a single year to walk away with a solid grade, and the Capitals are proof that you still can make a splash at the draft while maintaining a contending NHL team. They took an excellent offensive center in London's Connor McMichael (25th), who in comparison to former Knight Robert Thomas outproduced the 2017 first rounder by a significant margin. Double-overage power winger Breet Leason (56th) went a lot lower than most of us predicted, which is good news for the Caps as they walk away with the WHL's most complete player and an intense competitor. Center Aliaksei Protas (91st) was Leason's center for the second half of the season and both were critical in Prince Albert winning the WHL finals and advancing to the Memorial Cup.
Finishing up their understrength draft class was decisive two-way blueliner Martin Hugo Has (153rd), who has puck-rushing capabilities but also can man a top pairing and shut down dangerous opposing lines. Grade: A-
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad