Post-Game Talk: 2019 NHL Draft - Caps pick McMichael (25), Leason (56), Protas (91), Has (153)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pandaman11

Dec 3, 2009
Bob McKenzie called McMichael once "Connor McDavid" during the draft on NBC.

I guess he won't be the last one.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Leading up to the draft, Langway was posting various scenarios about who might be available for the Capitals to pick with their first round #25 pick. Several times he posted about Leason as one to consider with that pick. Still can't believe that we were still able to pick up Leason in the second round. Great daft for the Capitals!

Reactions: Sam Spade

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions

Mark Seidel was an excellent follow during the draft, guy is in the loop for sure. Correctly predicted almost every 1st rounder in real time, including McMichael to the Caps. Says here that they were high on Poulin - so he may have been another option for them at 25 had Pittsburgh not taken him.

This one is nice too.

Reactions: calicapsfan

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
If two of the four make it to the show and play at least 100 games this draft is an A, if three make it, it becomes A+.

This chart hasn't changed since 2000.
Screen Shot 2019-06-23 at 9.26.09 AM.png

TheFountainhead

Red Nation
Sep 8, 2008
Washington, DC

Fun going back and watching Button’s final mock draft before the actual event. McMichael and Leason go in the first with McMichael picked 20th here, before a bunch of the names we all liked at the back end of the first (including my preferred choice Suzuki). It’ll be interesting to see how this shakes out down the line, but all in all, I’m happy with the 4 players we drafted.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I know I've said previously Leason wouldn't be in the NHL next season but if he puts in as much work this off-season to improve as compared to last off-season he could make a really strong case. Hopefully Protas picks up whatever he's been doing. The hands and overall sense aren't that far off and the potential for acceleration could be tempting should they not be able to find an adequate 3RW.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Leading up to the draft, Langway was posting various scenarios about who might be available for the Capitals to pick with their first round #25 pick. Several times he posted about Leason as one to consider with that pick. Still can't believe that we were still able to pick up Leason in the second round. Great daft for the Capitals!

“I’ll tell you tomorrow, but it’s looking good so far!”

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
B+ seems about right, mostly stemming from the near-term value Leason may be able to provide given their window to compete. (Not that he's also without longer-term upside, just the same.) I'm less sure about the trade up for Has but two sevenths wasn't a huge price to move up.

I didn't love the McMichael pick but he could also fast-track as a bottom sixer if he fills out, becomes more consistent and gritty all-around. From a value standpoint they did pretty decent. They were again aggressive going after their targets and valuing at least perceived quality over quantity but the costs weren't high. The main risks between Leason & Protas are taking size over speed in today's game but they'll determine whether it's an issue or not .

Reactions: TheFountainhead

Charles Calvert

Jun 21, 2019
I'd give it a B. Leason and McMichael are going to be good forwards, I feel really comfortable with both being good NHLers.

Pratas is a long term project (3-4 years) that needs a lot of work, but he's probably right behind Riley Sutter in terms of where I'd rank the prospects. Has is so raw I have no idea how good he'll be and he's going to take forever to develop too.

The Caps needed to take some impact forwards and I think they got two guys who could possibly be top 6 guys, and definitely will be good third liners at worst. That's a huge win.

Reactions: TheFountainhead

Jun 15, 2007
Updated Caps Forward Rankings (Using old HF rankings)

1. Connor McMichael (7.0 (B) )
2. Brett Leason (7.0 (C) )
3. Shane Gersich (6.5 (C) )
4. Axel Jonsson-Fjallby (5.5 (B) )
5. Riley Sutter ( 6.0 (C) )
6. Garret Pilon (5.5 (B) )
7. Aliaksei Protas (6.0 (C) )
8. Kody Clark (6.5 (D) )

Explanation of scores for reference;

https://www.hockeysfuture.com/playerprojections/

That Kody Clark pick was a weird one right away. People were saying we could have gotten him with a 4th.

And then he goes on to have a very blah season.

Reactions: Futures Passed

Charles Calvert

Jun 21, 2019
That Kody Clark pick was a weird one right away. People were saying we could have gotten him with a 4th.

And then he goes on to have a very blah season.

He's a strange one. I don't personally see the upside with him. I think maybe he has a higher ceiling that Sutter, but Sutter seems lot more if a sure thing, even if he tops out as a bottom 6 forward.d

Reactions: Futures Passed

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
Updated Caps Forward Rankings (Using old HF rankings)

1. Connor McMichael (7.0 (B) )
2. Brett Leason (7.0 (C) )
3. Shane Gersich (6.5 (C) )
4. Axel Jonsson-Fjallby (5.5 (B) )
5. Riley Sutter ( 6.0 (C) )
6. Garret Pilon (5.5 (B) )
7. Aliaksei Protas (6.0 (C) )
8. Kody Clark (6.5 (D) )

Explanation of scores for reference;

https://www.hockeysfuture.com/playerprojections/

On one hand glad to see we have improved the forward talent pool. On the other, sad to see how depleted it really was

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Easy A for me.

McMichael is who I wanted in the 1st (you watch, he's putting up 100+ in London next season), and they got an additional first rounder at 56. without giving anything up. How many teams will have a second rounder that makes a legitimate run at a lineup spot this fall?

Protoss is projectable forward with elite size to stay at center and was rated by several legit sources much higher than we drafted him.

Similarly, Has has had a lot of fans in the scouting community, Has has elite size, and Has has been rated higher than we took him by lots of folks.

Only (potential) downside for me is turning a 4th, a 5th, a 7th, and a 7th into a 3rd and a 5th. That might work out if these guys really are ahead of their draft position, but I tend to favor the approach of putting more lines in the water - more chances for a bite.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Easy A for me.

Only (potential) downside for me is turning a 4th, a 5th, a 7th, and a 7th into a 3rd and a 5th. That might work out if these guys really are ahead of their draft position, but I tend to favor the approach of putting more lines in the water - more chances for a bite.

I have to assume the rest of the guys lower on their board we’re at best being rated as fringe NHL/AHL depth types, so then you cash out early if you can.

Reactions: calicapsfan

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
What's wrong with Leason... weaknesses whatever... aka why didn't anyone else take him.

Looking at his size I would guess its skating related.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad