Post-Game Talk: 2019 NHL Draft - Caps pick McMichael (25), Leason (56), Protas (91), Has (153)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Knight seems likely to go anywhere from 12-17 so I can't see them taking one tonight. Maybe in the fourth round or later they do but I don't see much need for it given only having five picks unless it's massive value. A wise move may be to just invite an undrafted CHL goalie they like and then sign them should they show well in camp.

A defensive-minded LD like Matthew Robertson or Vlasic would be pretty irritating, esp. after MacLellan saying a defenseman would have to be clearly better than the top forward. I would expect they only go D if one of Broberg, Seider, Soderstrom, York or Harley slide and even then it depends on which forwards are left.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Preparing for a wave of Scandinavian and Russian forwards.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Is there some nice F in the middle of a round to trade up for?
They could tack on their second rounder to move up I guess but I wouldn't. Podkolzin would be the only forward I'd move up for if he really began to slide but hard to see it happening. Lavoie & Kaliyev are the most likely potential sliders at forward it seems but I don't know that they're blue chip to the point of aggressively targeting them. Lavoie seems less likely to slide all the way to them but there could be Kaliyev slides due to his skating and off puck play (despite 51 goals and over 100 points in the OHL).

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
I don't follow the prospects that much, what I know about them is usually whats posted here... but two in particular I recall being super excited about landing were Forsberg because he slipped and John Carlson from seeing him as Capt America in Jrs. What players in this draft would make you all excited if they slipped to us or we traded up to land them?

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
What players in this draft would make you all excited if they slipped to us or we traded up to land them?

Seider, Lavoie, and Tomasino are guys from 15-20 range who would qualify for me. Particularly Lavoie, though only because I would be able to go to watch him play all the time in Halifax.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
I don't follow the prospects that much, what I know about them is usually whats posted here... but two in particular I recall being super excited about landing were Forsberg because he slipped and John Carlson from seeing him as Capt America in Jrs. What players in this draft would make you all excited if they slipped to us or we traded up to land them?
Caufield has the name recognition potentially after the top 10 and hey he's 5'7" anything could happen

Jun 15, 2007
Trade the pick for a good cheap forward like Kapanen or Labanc.

We don't have 3 years to wait.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
What players in this draft would make you all excited if they slipped to us or we traded up to land them?
More realistically...Podkolzin (assuming somewhat of a slide), Broberg or Seider. Outside of maybe Knight I'm not sure anyone else outside of the top group warrants a belief in massive upside.

Assuming they stay put I'd be jazzed with any of a sliding Lavoie/Kaliyev, Tomasino, Brink or Poulin mainly with a couple others I could see them liking as well but that I'd be a little less inclined toward.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Is Walker eligible in the draft?

Who are we kidding. Stay at home left D safe pick with minimal upside. Put that in your pipeline and smoke it, Illinois.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
After reading draft thread I expect them to draft D and them trade up to get F in the 2nd :P
Alex Vlasic, aka Jeff Schultz 2.0. THAT would send the board over the deep end.

https://thehockeywriters.com/alex-vlasic-2019-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/
Strengths

• He’s a big, big fella who’s getting used to his body.
  • Surprisingly mobile for a player of his size.
  • Smart positional player.
Under Construction (Improvements to Make)

• Sometimes a bit too tentative in the offensive zone.
  • Needs to add a bit of meanness to his game.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
I'm rooting even more for John Beecher at this point. Wouldn't be upset with him at 25. Big, powerful athlete at center that plays a smart, heavy game.

He profiles a bit like a center version of Chris Kreider.

Cush

Dec 1, 2002
Northern Virginia
Hope to be surprised, but seeing as how they tend to have a Pavlovian response when it comes to WHL players, I'm going with Tracey or Leason. Foote wouldn't be a shock either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad