OT: 2019 nCov (part 9)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I go right at open. Last time I was in and out in 30 mins.

What are the opening hours now? Don't they vary from supermarket to supermarket?

Also, there appear to be times reserved for certain people (age, condition) on certain days of the week. Do we need to check every grocery store website or do they all follow the same hours and restrictions? Same for the TD, found out last week that they reserve their opening hour on certain days for people of a certain age, etc.

Since we're supposed to limit our outings, would be good to get it right before we head out.

Reactions: groovejuice

Crusher117

Feb 2, 2013
Montreal
What are the opening hours now? Don't they vary from supermarket to supermarket?

Also, there appear to be times reserved for certain people (age, condition) on certain days of the week. Do we need to check every grocery store website or do they all follow the same hours and restrictions? Same for the TD, found out last week that they reserve their opening hour on certain days for people of a certain age, etc.

Since we're supposed to limit our outings, would be good to get it right before we head out.
My maxi opens at 8 am. Not sure if they have a senior hour now tho. Last time I went grocery shopping was 10 days ago. Best option is to call your local grocery store.
I'm trying to stretch my remaining food til Tuesday. Going Friday or Saturday just seems like a bad idea. Also feel like a lot of people will be going Monday now too since Sunday's are closed.

HockeyAddict

Nov 7, 2008
on an island
It's a real catch-22.

I wonder how many of us who have daughters and sons who are old enough, would actually encourage them to do volunteer work in these circumstances? I admire those who are taking the challenge head on but it's one daunting proposition.
Completely agree... its certainly not for everyone and it is a catch-22. This is the most existential crisis that the planet has faced since WW2(?) and we will see if the generation(s) who never experienced those wars outside of watching movies are up to the challenge. I hope that enough are willing to rise to the challenge to help mitigate some of the more harmful societal impacts for all of us or that the system gets strained but doesn't break such that Canada manages to avoid an Italy/Spain/US scenario.

I worry (somewhat) that we have become so accustomed to a comfy, self-gratifying lifestyle that we will all just sit around waiting for someone, somewhere and/or government to fix the problem for us.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
coronavirus_name.png

Nice.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
This data is compiled daily by the visualization experts at the Financial Times.

If you look at the upper part of the graph, the good news is that other two worse outbreaks besides the US, namely Italy and Spain -- they are now seeing their daily death tolls, plateauing. You can see both Italy's and Spain's lines getting flat.

Now, if you look at the US, it has the worst outbreak of any country. The US has not only the most cases on the planet by far, if you look at the trajectory of their curve, that's the US's death rate right now and it is headed almost straight up, with no relief in sight. It is not under control.

FWRNGxI.jpg

We look like we're having a plateauing in Canada. What is being done right?

Still very early, but, our population density helps. We also implemented many measures early, and generally Canadians are obedient people when it comes to doing what's best for each other. Canadians have a lot of empathy.

Mike8

Jun 24, 2002
Visit site
I worry (somewhat) that we have become so accustomed to a comfy, self-gratifying lifestyle that we will all just sit around waiting for someone, somewhere and/or government to fix the problem for us.

Your worry is my best case scenario. I hope people sit around at home, doing nothing. That would allow us to overcome this pretty quickly.

llamateizer

Mar 16, 2007
Montreal
Lionel Perez (Montreal's Opposition leader lol) is the winner of the day.

Decided to organize an engagement party for his daughter... via video conference.
Hired a friend for music ... on the driveway.
His son has covid-19 and joined them outside...
Neighbors joined them to celebrate (with social distancing..)
people called the police and the party was broken

Talk about bad decisions for a public figure.

HockeyAddict

Nov 7, 2008
on an island
Your worry is my best case scenario. I hope people sit around at home, doing nothing. That would allow us to overcome this pretty quickly.
My post was in the context that several organization are sending out a cry for help and if nobody answers the call, it might lead to a worse public health crisis. But I get your point that if people are disciplined and heed social distancing/staying home advisories, it will help bend the curve ASAP.

dinodebino

Sep 27, 2017
Lionel Perez (Montreal's Opposition leader lol) is the winner of the day.

Decided to organize an engagement party for his daughter... via video conference.
Hired a friend for music ... on the driveway.
His son has covid-19 and joined them outside...
Neighbors joined them to celebrate (with social distancing..)
people called the police and the party was broken

Talk about bad decisions for a public figure.
And from media reports, he was not cooperative.

Reactions: llamateizer

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
And from media reports, he was not cooperative.
He was cooperative with the police.
Les policiers du SPVM sont intervenus suite à un appel et nous avons immédiatement collaboré avec les agents et cessé la musique. Je veux souligner qu’à tout moment, nous avons respecté les directives gouvernementales de distanciation sociale.
Translation : The police came after a public call and we immediately collaborated with the agents and stopped the music. I want to say at any moment we respected the governemental rules of social distancing.

Reactions: MasterD

zx81

Aug 2, 2005
How good are the face shields compared to n95 masks ?

At first glance it looks like it could be a good solution for healthcare workers since they can be reused.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
In more normal circumstances, the states would have handled it all right.

But this is exceptional and has far reaching consequences, I'd argue that it's so dire and touches all of the US such that it has become a federal matter quite some time ago.

So true.
Florida has 7,700 cases so far. No stay-at-homes until tomorrow. Many beaches were running wild, gathering all over the place.
As a President you just can't let them put the rest of the country at risk by taking such a passive approach.
Texas got 4,500 cases and their restrictions started today.

We started our restriction 2 weeks ago and as a country we took this a lot more seriously than the Americans, when we started this we had less than 1000 cases. We are still going to pass the 10,000 mark today.

The Federal can't do everything themselves, but that's their job to make sure everyone follows their basic guideline.
Especially after what's happening in New York. The lack of PPE.
What's going to happen in Florida will have an effect on Georgia (Already there, they have 4.700 cases).

And despites all of this, there's still 11 states that didn't issues their stay-at-home order to the entire state (although some have more local restrictions) and that include Alabama (Next to Florida and Georgia, 1000+ cases) , Arkansas, Iowa, Missouri (1500+ cases), North Dakota, Nebraska, South Carolina (1200+ cases), South Dakota, Tennessee(2600+ cases), Utah and Wyoming.

And the Federal are letting them do....no problem.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Des masques destinés au Canada détournés vers d'autres pays?

Yesterday, the US stole masks that were ordered by France...they paid 3 times the price to get the mask.
And now they did it to Canada too...

f*** You f***ing U.S.A.
I can't understand the world depends on China so much for masks. I think it's about time to change the dependance on China for all our products. Maybe we should re-industrialise our society. After all, we once were an successfull industrial society.

Native

Nov 27, 2003
Montreal
I know many of us are feeling helpless during all this craziness but for those who want to help, here are some suggestions.

Volunteer @ homeless shelter: the homeless shelters are really struggling at the moment since they have lost many of their regular volunteers - many were seniors (70+ years old) and others are simply too worried to being exposed ATM. Its important to realize that the homeless are more likely to get infected since they do not have a place to live and cannot 'shelter in place/stay home' like the rest of us. Furthermore, many who do get infected can become super transmitters due to them not having a place to isolate themselves and will spend most of the day out in public places.

Enroll to JeContribueCovid19 - Inscription... the health care system is strained to the breaking point and they are in desperate need of help in several areas. This is paid work than you can do on a part-time basis.

If anyone has any other suggestions, please post so that anyone who wishes to help can know how/where to look.

It's a real catch-22.

I wonder how many of us who have daughters and sons who are old enough, would actually encourage them to do volunteer work in these circumstances? I admire those who are taking the challenge head on but it's one daunting proposition.

I think it's a very thoughtful and altruistic to suggest something our younger generation can do to help others in need, like the homeless and especially our senior citizens.

I can understand the apprehension to suggest to our children to engage themselves on the front lines. There is a protective and nurturing instinct that overrides everything else, which is completely understandable. However, as current data suggests, it is the elderly that is most vulnerable.

I think those that are both "young" and have been certified recovered are the best candidates for volunteer work. Whatever they can do. Could be just identifying senior neighbors and calling them daily, delivering curbside groceries that their parents can purchase on their behalf since many areas can have 2 week backlog for delivery. etc.

many things can be done to help those around us and also take personal precautions.

I have 3 neighbors that are widows that I drop off groceries when I can and call / text them to make sure they are ok. Plus, I've been taking care of my own parents for the past 8 years and I am very sensitive to the needs of our elders.

We can all contribute in some way.

I honestly can't stand hearing people saying that they are "bored", "losing their gains", "can't see friends", etc. If these are your problems then you're f'ing good, bro. It's only been a couple of weeks, lol, man up. Do something good, whether personal education or looking beyond yourself and helping others within your own personal safety level.

Reactions: a55p2 and Le CH
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad