2019 Kia Memorial Cup Discussion.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
So was the late 3rd period repetitive dump 'n' change routine by the Mooseheads on Wed night all about maintaining a favourable goal differential for the round robin portion, so they were assured a Finals berth? :huh:

When it was 3-3, the Moose could allow one more goal and still get the Finals berth. If they lost 5-3 or even 5-4, they would have had to play in the SF.

cmcneil02

Dec 27, 2015
So was the late 3rd period repetitive dump 'n' change routine by the Mooseheads on Wed night all about maintaining a favourable goal differential for the round robin portion, so they were assured a Finals berth? :huh:
That’s exactly what the plan was. What gets you into the final gets you into the final! Makes it a little less entertaining but either way they’re in!

Reactions: JMCx4

ecraigs

Sponsor
Dec 6, 2013
To be charitable to PA, they'd come off a grueling 7-game final series, OT in the last game no less, traveling between BC & SK the whole time, got all of two days off, and had to come all the way out east into a tough tournament in a whole new time zone for them. They had nothing left.

But yeah, tough run for WHL teams in the tourney lately.

This year, OK, but 4 straight years at 0-3? It's almost like the WHL champ is built to win that League and the host team builds to win the Memorial Cup. The Memorial Cup is, after all, an added tournament. Being League Champs is a true accomplishment as well.

ecraigs

Sponsor
Dec 6, 2013
Looking at the schedule I was wondering why the WHL and OHL had to play back to back nights but the host who isn't a league champ and is rested got what seems to be an advantageous schedule. Hmmm...home cooking, beds means hosting has its privileges.

The schedule is pretty much the same year over year. After a while, you know what to expect. This year, Guelph played Saturday-Sunday, PA Sunday-Monday. Wednesday is rivalry day, this year Huskies and Mooseheads. Thursday for a tie-breaker, which we won't see until all teams can win at least one game (been 4 years with none).

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
When it was 3-3, the Moose could allow one more goal and still get the Finals berth. If they lost 5-3 or even 5-4, they would have had to play in the SF.

It was a game of firsts for me.

I have never seen a team protect their 1 goal deficit in a game before. I am also very sure I have never seen a player with at least a grade b scoring chance dump the puck in the corner instead of taking a good shot on net. I also never saw a team so happy after losing in such crushing fashion for the people watching the game.

Last edited:

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
It was a game of firsts for me.

I have never seen a team protect their 1 goal deficit in a game before. I am also very sure I have never seen a player with at least a grade b scoring chance dump the puck in the corner instead of taking a good shot on net. I also never saw a team so happy after losing in such crushing fashion for the people watching the game.

It really was not look pretty at

Yeah, that dump in was strange but it would have been silly for Halifax not to play the game in a way that would protect their bye to the final. They would have looked incredibly stupid if they pressed to tie it up in the last minute and gave up another goal, and the bye to the final.

Noone who understood the math should have been crushed by the loss.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
People will fight to the death to disrespect the Q....but the Q just keeps showing well year in year out.

The last 24 Memorial Cups is an even split between the Q, the O and the W with eight each. The increase in Atlantic-based players into the Q has helped a lot. This really started happening when Halifax joined the league in the mid-90s. Before that, a lot of them would have gone to the O.

Reactions: Rob and Anichels

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
Yeah, that dump in was strange but it would have been silly for Halifax not to play the game in a way that would protect their bye to the final. They would have looked incredibly stupid if they pressed to tie it up in the last minute and gave up another goal, and the bye to the final.

Noone who understood the math should have been crushed by the loss.

I guess I agree to a certain degree, but they had a two goal buffer regardless. They didn't have to play exactly how they did. It was kind of strange.

They were out playing them in straight up hockey to that point in the game. Their poor start just seemed like jitters in fumbling the puck a lot or something. I was right on the line for the first goal and it sure seemed like an off side to me tbh.

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
... They were out playing them in straight up hockey to that point in the game. Their poor start just seemed like jitters in fumbling the puck a lot or something. I was right on the line for the first goal and it sure seemed like an off side to me tbh.
The official delays in determining that goal & the second one were disgraceful. Those referees are destined for top jobs in the NHL. :thumbd:

Reactions: Coolmcneil

Anichels

May 3, 2013
Hub City
The last 24 Memorial Cups is an even split between the Q, the O and the W with eight each. The increase in Atlantic-based players into the Q has helped a lot. This really started happening when Halifax joined the league in the mid-90s. Before that, a lot of them would have gone to the O.

I've been following the Q closely since 2006; worked for a team, had season tickets in the family for 9 (?) years now.
I guess you learn something every day.

Thanks

Anichels

May 3, 2013
Hub City
I'm honestly thinking the Moosehead is the worst of the 3 remaining teams.
They benefited from Guelph playing B2B, and Rouyn has proven that they can beat them (and did beat them during this tournament).

Now that the Moose are rested for the Finals, and their opponents will have a day off between the Semis and the Finals - who do you pick?

Rested Hosts
Q Champs, and CHL's top team
The team that doesn't lose elimination games

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
I thought the Q was a garbage league and everyone in the OHL would dominate it.
I reckon not. The Huskies showed on Friday once again how their passing & transition game can wear an opponent down. Be ready for a wild Finals game on Sunday, with lots of motion & LOTS of physical play. I could see it being a very long game, with plenty of penalties and annoying delays for play reviews. Gonna have to sleep in on Monday. :puppy:

Last edited:

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
I guess I agree to a certain degree, but they had a two goal buffer regardless. They didn't have to play exactly how they did. It was kind of strange.

They were out playing them in straight up hockey to that point in the game. Their poor start just seemed like jitters in fumbling the puck a lot or something. I was right on the line for the first goal and it sure seemed like an off side to me tbh.

The thing is that they couldn't afford to get into a shootout with them. If they had lost 5-4, they would have lost the Bye. It the most strategic way to approach the 3rd period; try to do whatever possible to hold them to no more than two goals in the 3rd.

ecraigs

Sponsor
Dec 6, 2013
Would a a shootout loss not counted as an OT Loss therefore giving them a point?

No points in this tournament and no shootouts. Win or lose. Halifax was down 4-3 and in the Final. If they tie it up and win, same result. If they tie it up and lose in OT, Guelph goes to the Final and Halifax plays Rouyn-Noranda in the semi. I thought Rouyn could have dumped the puck in their own net and taken a shot in overtime, but it wouldn't have changed anything for them. But the uproar would have been wild.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad