2019 Kia Memorial Cup Discussion.

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Game #1 HFX vs. PA featured an electric atmosphere, and was much more physical than Game #2 GUE vs. R-N. Today's Game #3 pits the two tournament-leading teams. Could be a Final preview, and will certainly be an entertaining match.

Very impressed so far with the show Halifax is putting on for hockey fans from far & wide. Thanks to all who are hosting. :5:

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Maybe it's my age and stage in life however the honouring of a Canadian regiment with the sweater design etc. makes me so proud to be a Canadian, and so proud to honour all of the brave men who gave so much.

Yes it's just a hockey tournament but it is the "Memorial Cup" hockey tournament. Take some time to remember or a moment to read the associated history of those being honoured.
Even as an American in attendance, I find the tournament's attention to the sacrifices of the Canadian forces (then & now) very moving. The distribution of pin-on poppies at Game #1 will offer a continuing reminder to my wife & me of those who served & now serve to keep The Birthplace of Hockey free. :clap:

Ratelleitlikeitis

Apr 7, 2011
Guelph
OHL rep plays their 3 games in just 4 nights. It'll be the same thing for the WHL if they end up in a Thursday tiebreaker and 4 in 5 if they advanced from that game to the semi.

Looking at the schedule I was wondering why the WHL and OHL had to play back to back nights but the host who isn't a league champ and is rested got what seems to be an advantageous schedule. Hmmm...home cooking, beds means hosting has its privileges.

Reactions: hocknow

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Looking at the schedule I was wondering why the WHL and OHL had to play back to back nights but the host who isn't a league champ and is rested got what seems to be an advantageous schedule. Hmmm...home cooking, beds means hosting has its privileges.
Yes it does. Always has and always will.

Halifax has also played two good games of hockey so far. Place is electric.

Reactions: JMCx4

cmcneil02

Dec 27, 2015
It’s confirmed if the Prince Albert Raiders beat the Rouyn Noranda Huskies tonight that means the Halifax Mooseheads are automatically in the Memorial Cup Finals! Still lots of action ahead of us and I can’t wait to see what happens. What a successful and awesome tournament it’s been so far!

Reactions: PanniniClaus

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Final score = Huskies 6 - Raiders 3. Another competitive & entertaining round robin match. Lots of iron tattooed tonight, making play even more dramatic. Looked like R-N was just too fast in transition play for PA to hold them off for all 60 minutes. 55 minutes of back & forth wasn't quite enough. Sets up an exciting final RR game on Wed night, all QMJHL. I am absolutely loving this hockey! :towel:

Last edited:

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Do we really need to put the sponsor in the thread title? It is has been a somewhat of a relief to not have the sponsor named every freaking time "Memorial Cup" is said by the announcers

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Under a scenario, where Halifax goes 3-0 and the rest of the teams go 1-2, what are the tie breakers?

cmcneil02

Dec 27, 2015
Id do the math for you guys but it’s way too complicated. Halifax has the best chance at getting a bye to the finals even if they lose to the Huskies Wednesday.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Id do the math for you guys but it’s way too complicated. Halifax has the best chance at getting a bye to the finals even if they lose to the Huskies Wednesday.

I think Halifax can lose by one goal and get the bye as long as the score is 4-3 or lower. The Huskies need to win either 4-0 or by five or more goals to get the bye.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
It was reported that the Huskies needed to win last night to stay alive but I think that was wrong. If they won against the Moose and either the Raiders or Storm were 1-2 they would play in a tiebreaker.

optimus2861

Aug 29, 2005
Bedford NS
If PA beats Guelph (both would be 1-2), and R-N beats Halifax (both would be 2-1), then I think R-N goes straight to the final and Halifax gets the semifinal. PA - Guelph would play a tiebreaker.

If Guelph beats PA and R-N beats Halifax then you've got the triple 2-1 scenario which leads you into goal differential calculations. Halifax certainly has an edge there since their GF/GA ratio is the best thus far.

optimus2861

Aug 29, 2005
Bedford NS
Nothing cheapens the Memorial Cup more than when the host team wins it(unless the Host team actually won it's own League's title)
I used to think that until 2012 when host Shawinigan won it all by winning the tiebreaker, semifinal, and final all against league champs, even though they'd bowed out in the first or second round of their playoffs. They freaking earned that one.

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
I used to think that until 2012 when host Shawinigan won it all by winning the tiebreaker, semifinal, and final all against league champs, even though they'd bowed out in the first or second round of their playoffs. They freaking earned that one.

I get what you're saying but to me it's hard to say they earned it just by winning 3 games. They didn't deserve to be there to begin with. Kinda like Windsor a few years ago.

Reactions: CanuckistanFlyerfan

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
I get what you're saying but to me it's hard to say they earned it just by winning 3 games. They didn't deserve to be there to begin with. Kinda like Windsor a few years ago.
Sorry - I can't get onside with this thinking at all. You have to have a host....the hosts will always put the best team together they can....you are never guaranteed to win your league.

If you can best all other league champs....then I think you deserve to be there. A host takes financial risks and want to reward the fanbase...I can understand some fans of league champs not liking it but as soon as you find yourself cheering for a host team that didn't win the title...don't you still want to win it?

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Jackpot! My wife & I arrived at Scotiabank Centre just at 7 pm tonight, and walked over toward our upper deck seats. As we approached the stairs, an usher offered me & my wife his two seats in the lower bowl, Section 9, 10 rows up from the ice, just inside the Guelph blue line. It must've paid to look like we weren't from around these here parts. :)

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Jackpot! My wife & I arrived at Scotiabank Centre just at 7 pm tonight, and walked over toward our upper deck seats. As we approached the stairs, an usher offered me & my wife his two seats in the lower bowl, Section 9, 10 rows up from the ice, just inside the Guelph blue line. It must've paid to look like we weren't from around these here parts. :)
Nice - enjoy.

WatchfulElm

Former "Domi a favor"
Jan 31, 2007
Rive-Sud
With the WHL failing to win a game for so many years in a row, is it time to admit that the QJMHL has passed them as the 2nd best junior league in the country?

ecraigs

Sponsor
Dec 6, 2013
With the WHL failing to win a game for so many years in a row, is it time to admit that the QJMHL has passed them as the 2nd best junior league in the country?

It has been a while. 13 straight losses for the WHL champ, starting with Kelowna losing the final to Oshawa in 2015. Indifferent performance by PA this year.

optimus2861

Aug 29, 2005
Bedford NS
It has been a while. 13 straight losses for the WHL champ, starting with Kelowna losing the final to Oshawa in 2015. Indifferent performance by PA this year.
To be charitable to PA, they'd come off a grueling 7-game final series, OT in the last game no less, traveling between BC & SK the whole time, got all of two days off, and had to come all the way out east into a tough tournament in a whole new time zone for them. They had nothing left.

But yeah, tough run for WHL teams in the tourney lately.

Reactions: Ratelleitlikeitis

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad