2019 Kia Memorial Cup Discussion.

ecraigs

Sponsor
Dec 6, 2013
Interesting loophole.
It's counterproductive to score goals.

They used to just play for a win and then the final placement depended on who won the head-to-head game, which works until you have three teams with the same record (2-1 or 1-2). TV likes a tiebreaker, which is now rare because one League is getting pounded 0-3 every year. Now, when two teams are tied at 1-2, for the last playoff spot, they hold a tiebreaker game, regardless of who won the head-to-head.

The goal formula is probably the best under the current format, with 4 teams. Before they added a host team, there was a double round-robin and a final. There were more tie breaking options then.

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Final day of this thoroughly entertaining tournament, with the host team facing their League rivals as a fitting way to wrap up a memorable 10 days in Halifax. Now my wife & I can truly appreciate what the Memorial Cup fuss is all about with diehard CHL fans. Moving the annual competition around Canada just adds to the experience for those who are privileged to attend. We hope our first MC will not be our last. :towel:

Reactions: PanniniClaus

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
Can't help but find myself rooting against the host team when they get eliminated from the playoffs in their respective league.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
How was that last goal not called a penalty, the Moosehead tripped the guy

ETA: Looks like the Huskies got payback, that goal should have been icing

Last edited:

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Excellent 1st period by The Moose. Momentum shifted to the Huskies right before the 4-on-4 in the middle period, then R-N's speed took over. Loss of concentration by the Mooseheads' goalie yielded the Huskies' tying goal. 2-2 after 2; gonna be a wild 3rd period.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
As an Isles fan who hasn't watched much live action of Dobson, this is definitely not a good game for him.
Honestly been an ugly tourney from start to finish but Harvey constantly makes the big save when it's crucial to have it to keep RN and Dobson alive. . Noah will likely be better in a professional environment where he is not playing 30 minutes a night right away. Too much is expected and needed from him at this level.

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Both teams played their hearts out. The Huskies simply had more will to win. I was very impressed by R-N's speed, stick handling & ability to convert low percentage shots into very good chances & key goals. That combination of skills and qualities stole the Final game's momentum & put Halifax back on their heels to the end. Rouyn simply sucked the air out of the Mooseheads & out of their loyal home fans.

Congrats to the Huskies, as well as to the other 3 teams, for providing a very entertaining hockey event. Thanks to the Scotiabank Centre staff & the local fans for creating a very welcoming & energetic tournament atmosphere. And bravo to the City of Halifax for putting on one helluva show. :thumbu:

SympathyForTheDevils

Feb 22, 2010
Quebec City
Congrats to the Huskies! They're so well-managed: lose in the Mem Cup final in OT, reform a dominant team 3 years later with a mostly new, home-grown roster, get in the Mem Cup final again and win. Very impressive for a small-market team! I really hope some of their undrafted players get a shot in the pros.

And while this is a tough loss, congrats to the Mooseheads for a great tournament and a great showing! Unlike RN, a few of their best players should stay on the team next year. They should be able to do a run, and maybe get back to the Mem Cup as champs.

optimus2861

Aug 29, 2005
Bedford NS
The Huskies were just that good. They won 59 games in the regular season, 16 more in the playoffs, and went 4-1 in the tournament. That's a staggering 79 wins total in their championship season. And they were utter kryptonite for the Mooseheads, who simply couldn't play at R-N's level for any sustained period of time. Once the Huskies started pushing in the second period, they took over the game and never let up. The Moose simply couldn't beat them at that point and you could tell that they knew it.

Congrats to R-N for your first title!

cmcneil02

Dec 27, 2015
That was a successfully amazing tournament. Congrats to the Huskies especially their Scouts and Developing team! They did an outstanding job grabbing these guys! Really impressed.

Olfer

Apr 25, 2019
Rouyn-Noranda
Crazy, crazy season. We weren't even supposed to be that good, but they made it clear since day 1 that they were serious contenders.

413 pts in 4 years. No team in the Q has ever done that in 50 years. For such a small market and with very few ''stars'' compared to the big teams (Halifax, London), it's insane. It felt like every player was on the right spot.

Congrats also to Mooseheads fans, I feel a bit sorry for you but you've had many reasons to celebrate in the past and many more in the future!

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
I got my photos from the tournament downloaded last night, then organized & uploaded them today to my public Flickr page. Nothing fancy with my digital point-n-shoot camera while most games sitting in the upper deck of Scotiabank Centre, but I hope they captured a fair portion of the surroundings & the action during this Memorial Cup event.

On behalf of Mrs. JMC 'n' me, the final image in my collection says it all ...

eBdSS2n.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad