Speculation: 2019-2020 Sharks Roster Discussion Part 9

Status
Not open for further replies.

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
SJ has 1.4M in cap space, and Melker + Sorensen make 3.5M combined. Donskoi + Suomela instead of those 2 s**t 4th liners could have fit under the cap.
With negative space if there is an injury to someone

Not that I wouldn't swap them but really shovels was terrible and Sorenson looked light years better when the decision was made.

Reactions: BigDmitriy

ktice

Mar 10, 2019
DW easily could have kept Donskoi but PDB ran him out of town.

But which of those players would we have kept? Donskoi was a cap casualty. Ryan wouldn't have played over Simek or Ferraro. The problem isn't so much that players were alienated and left, it's that the Sharks decided to invest $25+ million in their top 4 D and that came out of the budget for forwards.

Reactions: Phu and Pistol Pete

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
SJ has 1.4M in cap space, and Melker + Sorensen make 3.5M combined. Donskoi + Suomela instead of those 2 s**t 4th liners could have fit under the cap.

Let's not forget that Suomela had a terrible AHL season last year. This year, so far, he's looked decent but nothing special.

Donskoi was not a good fit for the system. How much of his production is thanks to his linemates?

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Despite the game today, I don't think we can get rid of Jones during the season. But he needs to be moved/bought out during the off-season if this continues. For now, just shelter him and use him only on back-to-backs against the 'worse' team.

If he continues playing poorly, and we need cap space of some trade, waive him and have him play on the Cuda for a while. I doubt anyone claims him and even if they do, it would be a massive cap savings for us.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Despite the game today, I don't think we can get rid of Jones during the season. But he needs to be moved/bought out during the off-season if this continues. For now, just shelter him and use him only on back-to-backs against the 'worse' team.

If he continues playing poorly, and we need cap space of some trade, waive him and have him play on the Cuda for a while. I doubt anyone claims him and even if they do, it would be a massive cap savings for us.
Our best bet is just bury him in the AHL like Schneider and just live with the reality of a $5m cap penalty. Maybe sign Dell for $3m for a year and go with a sub <$1m backup. Would put us at $8-9m for goaltending which is a little above average.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Our best bet is just bury him in the AHL like Schneider and just live with the reality of a $5m cap penalty. Maybe sign Dell for $3m for a year and go with a sub <$1m backup. Would put us at $8-9m for goaltending which is a little above average.
Well. Actually next year could be different anyway if they choose to 'rebuild'. Keep Jones, if he bounces back, great. If not, you are on your way to a potential lottery pick.

Harbessix

Jun 2, 2010
Halifax, NS
Looking to get some opinions. I’ve seen some people speculate Dillon could be dealt for a late first or two seconds. What if there was an opportunity to acquire Puljujarvi from the Oilers in exchange for Dillon. Would either side do this and would it benefit the Sharks more to obtain Puljujarvi or just draft a prospect at the end of the first round?

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Looking to get some opinions. I’ve seen some people speculate Dillon could be dealt for a late first or two seconds. What if there was an opportunity to acquire Puljujarvi from the Oilers in exchange for Dillon. Would either side do this and would it benefit the Sharks more to obtain Puljujarvi or just draft a prospect at the end of the first round?

Hard to expect the Sharks would want to do that. Puljujarvi is a good talent but an unproven player at the NHL level. If the Sharks trade Dillon, it's probably to get a proven contributor.

Harbessix

Jun 2, 2010
Halifax, NS
I can’t imagine any playoff bound team would trade a proven contributor off their roster to acquire Dillon. Most likely it would be for picks or prospects. Considering most prospects acquired or drafted are unproven why not obtain a 22 year old winger that can step into the lineup next season and still has a relatively high ceiling?

Reactions: themelkman

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I can’t imagine any playoff bound team would trade a proven contributor off their roster to acquire Dillon. Most likely it would be for picks or prospects. Considering most prospects acquired or drafted are unproven why not obtain a 22 year old winger that can step into the lineup next season and still has a relatively high ceiling?

Because chances are DW is still going to allow this team to try and get in the playoffs this season.

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
Understandable, but if the scouts feel it isn’t a deep draft (not saying they do) why not take a flyer on Puljujarvi?

After Heed, the organizational depth on D is garbage, and Simek has a history of getting injured.

If we were to trade Dillon, I'd want the return to be a sure-fire NHLer in return.

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007

Could always flip Dillon for picks that use a position of relative organizational strength (Burns, EK, Simek, Ferraro, Vlasic, Heed, Merkeley) to try and solve for a weakness like wingers (Tofolli, Kreider, Granlund) or a third line center (Bjugstad?).

Understandable, but if the scouts feel it isn’t a deep draft (not saying they do) why not take a flyer on Puljujarvi?

I'd take a flyer on Puljujarvi, but given the option of a 1st or him, I think I'd take the first. That being said, the player Edmonton drafted (whether he reaches his potential is another question) fits the Sharks needs to a T. Solid skating, playmaking wing with size and decent two-way play. Playing with Kane, Hertl, and Meier, he'd have room to operate.

The fact he hasn't to add to Edmonton is a big red flag for me though.

Harbessix

Jun 2, 2010
Halifax, NS
After Heed, the organizational depth on D is garbage, and Simek has a history of getting injured.

If we were to trade Dillon, I'd want the return to be a sure-fire NHLer in return.
I just don’t see Dillon obtaining that. IMHO a late first is likely best case and there’s no guarantee that player will be a sure fire NHLer and definitely unlikely to step into the lineup for a few years whereas Puljujarvi can play next season.

Anomie2029

Oct 10, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
Sharks are screwed with Jones. The buyout would be over 8 seasons with a cap hit ranging from $1.6M to $2.8M in that time. Won't find a trade for him unless the Sharks sweeten the deal.

If the Sharks were to rebuild, I'd be ok keeping him, but with the players they have it won't be happening.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
Sharks are screwed with Jones. The buyout would be over 8 seasons with a cap hit ranging from $1.6M to $2.8M in that time. Won't find a trade for him unless the Sharks sweeten the deal.

If the Sharks were to rebuild, I'd be ok keeping him, but with the players they have it won't be happening.

Lol, I too have been playing with the buyout calculator

Reactions: Anomie2029

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
Because he might not come back to North America?

Because he couldn't crack a suspect oilers roster?

Because he hasn't shown a willingness to better is overall game?

There are lots of reasons. I actually think he would work well for the sharks but I don't think you get an nhl roster player for him 1 for 1 at this point

sharski

Jun 4, 2012
IMO DW should not count on being able to get rid of Jones and hope/pray that Nabby is an S-tier goaltending coach

maybe he can get Jones back to a competent level in the regular season

maybe Jones goes God Mode if they ever get to the playoffs again

maybe Jones will win the Conn Smythe in the process as he carries the Sharks to their first Stanley Cup

Anomie2029

Oct 10, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
IMO DW should not count on being able to get rid of Jones and hope/pray that Nabby is an S-tier goaltending coach

maybe Jones will win the Conn Smythe in the process as he carries the Sharks to their first Stanley Cup

This reads like a descent into delusion.

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017

The way people are talking about Jones contract reminds me of how people talked about the Heatley contract. "DW will never be able to move him!:(" I have faith that he'll be moved if DW wants to in the off season. Maybe they retain 1 or 2 mil or they give up a pick or prospect. If Heatley could be moved then Jones can be moved.

Another option is maybe there will be labor drama and the teams will get a compliance buyout...:help:

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
The way people are talking about Jones contract reminds me of how people talked about the Heatley contract. "DW will never be able to move him!:(" I have faith that he'll be moved if DW wants to in the off season. Maybe they retain 1 or 2 mil or they give up a pick or prospect. If Heatley could be moved then Jones can be moved.

Another option is maybe there will be labor drama and the teams will get a compliance buyout...:help:
Compliance buyout only gets rid of the last two years and ensures two more seasons of garbage goaltending. With the cap continuing to increase each year, I’m fine with just buying him out after this season and riding his buyout hit forward for awhile.

If we had the ability to go full tank mode with no players in our core, then maybe you hold onto him and ride it out for a potential compliance buyout. However, we have too many really good to elite players in their prime right now to punt away multiple seasons with garbage goaltending. Sign Dell to a 1 year prove it deal if he keeps playing well and go get one of the multiple goaltenders available this offseason (UFA or trade for an RFA).

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA

Maybe we will just wake up after winning the cup and realize that it was all a dream.

I think there are way too many maybe's here to be even close to realistic I don't know if DW buys Jones out or not next season. But if he plans on competing and not rebuilding in 2020-2021, relying on Jones to be our staring goalie would be a repeat of the exact mistake he make in 2019-20. And people like that should not really be running a team which is spending 81.5M on its players.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Compliance buyout only gets rid of the last two years and ensures two more seasons of garbage goaltending. With the cap continuing to increase each year, I’m fine with just buying him out after this season and riding his buyout hit forward for awhile.

Be careful with that. Think about how Martin's buyout hit has vitiated the roster this year.

Reactions: one2gamble
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad