Speculation: 2019-2020 Sharks Roster Discussion Part 9

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavePoulin4PM

2x NHL all star, Selke winner, NHL exec
Nov 6, 2017
Doug should kick the tires on Tyson Barrie. Can fit under cap, can be sheltered here in a big way, and can be had for cheap seeing, as he is a one year rental and is a tire fire right now. As if you guys don't provide enough match up problems from the back end as it is...

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
Doug should kick the tires on Tyson Barrie. Can fit under cap, can be sheltered here in a big way, and can be had for cheap seeing, as he is a one year rental and is a tire fire right now. As if you guys don't provide enough match up problems from the back end as it is...

Defense is literally the last thing we need right now.

Reactions: WSS11

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
Does it matter where the offense comes from? It does not. Show me a better option at $2.8 million, who will cost almost nothing to acquire.

we have very little cap space to work with and are in need of more depth up front. We have enough talent on D. No use in spending more assets and cap on a place of strength.

Reactions: themelkman

Pavelski2112

Bold as Boognish
Dec 15, 2011
San Jose, California
I like Barrie but you need your forwards to contribute on offense, too. We've seen what can happen when your entire offense is run from your defense; it gets shut down really easy.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Koivu would probably be relatively cheap to acquire at 50%. He's a pure rental and still effective defensively. I know we're looking for offense but just getting quality players in should help overall. I would prefer Zucker or Fiala from the Wild but those guys are probably kept through a rebuild. But assuming their teams are out of it and willing to sell on them, I like Toffoli, Saad (longshot), Perreault/Copp, Pageau (expensive), Foligno/Anderson, Hall(really expensive)/Palmieri, Kreider, or Kapanen/Johnsson/Hyman. I don't really know who is available but I'm generally thinking a quality middle 6 player would do us a world of good and someone that could step in for Thornton at 3C would be really helpful. Hall or Saad would be really cool but I don't think we have the capital for that, and not sure where Saad's rep stands right now. Overall, I think there's a lot of worthwhile targets from weaker teams.

Last edited:

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
I must admit that even I being a huge Kane supporter I didn't think they would be able to keep Couture, Kane and Labanc together. I thought they would have had problems as far as possession but their styles together seem to have worked so far. If that continues and Meier gets his game going that should make hime and Hertl together one of the toughest combos in the league to defend regardless who the other winger is.

Does it matter where the offense comes from? It does not. Show me a better option at $2.8 million, who will cost almost nothing to acquire.
Who are they getting rid of to fit him under the cap? A team that has had as many defensive coverage problem so far this year doesn't need to aquire someone shitting the bed on the back end. They need a top 6 or a maybe lower tier winger who can handle a little more responsibility riding shot gun with Hertl. Hertl is back playing like a #1 C stud so he doesn't necessarily need a true top 6 winger especially if the other is Meier or Kane. Just needs someone who can help him. No way does DW trade for a defenseman. If anything I could see them offloading someone for forward help.

Last edited:

Used As A Shield

Aug 10, 2011
As much as we have been stringing wins together, we still look quite bad defensively and keep letting teams back into games late. At some point this will change right? Right?

fasterthanlight

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 30, 2009
Seattle, WA
I really don't understand GMs handing out long contracts to goalies. There are like... 5 goalies in the last decade who, post-hoc, would have been worth giving a 6+ year contract to. And yet, GMs love handing out huge contracts to their goalies.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
As much as we have been stringing wins together, we still look quite bad defensively and keep letting teams back into games late. At some point this will change right? Right?

They actually weren't looking too bad defensively since the Preds game. Still some mistakes to clean up for sure but they are miles ahead defensively compared to how they started the season.

Jwec

Dec 21, 2015
Finland
Koivu would probably be relatively cheap to acquire at 50%. He's a pure rental and still effective defensively. I know we're looking for offense but just getting quality players in should help overall. I would prefer Zucker or Fiala from the Wild but those guys are probably kept through a rebuild. But assuming their teams are out of it and willing to sell on them, I like Toffoli, Saad (longshot), Perreault/Copp, Pageau (expensive), Foligno/Anderson, Hall(really expensive)/Palmieri, Kreider, or Kapanen/Johnsson/Hyman. I don't really know who is available but I'm generally thinking a quality middle 6 player would do us a world of good and someone that could step in for Thornton at 3C would be really helpful. Hall or Saad would be really cool but I don't think we have the capital for that, and not sure where Saad's rep stands right now. Overall, I think there's a lot of worthwhile targets from weaker teams.
I would like to have Koivu as our 3C. Jumbo could play on fourth line. Koivu is good defensively and he has still some offence in him.

Pistol Pete

Dec 17, 2007
I have a hard time seeing Koivu leaving the Wild at this stage in his career. He’s their Captain. He’s spent his whole professional career in Minnesota. He’s 36, making $5.5m this year, and coming off of a major injury.

I think E. Staal would be a better target for the 3rd line center position. He’s 35 and signed for one more season at a very reasonable $3.25m.

If DW could land Staal and a top 6 winger, the Sharks could then ice a bottom 6 of:
12-Staal-7
20-19-23

That looks like much better depth to me.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I have a hard time seeing Koivu leaving the Wild at this stage in his career. He’s their Captain. He’s spent his whole professional career in Minnesota. He’s 36, making $5.5m this year, and coming off of a major injury.

I think E. Staal would be a better target for the 3rd line center position. He’s 35 and signed for one more season at a very reasonable $3.25m.

If DW could land Staal and a top 6 winger, the Sharks could then ice a bottom 6 of:
12-Staal-7
20-19-23

That looks like much better depth to me.
Staal would be good too. I kind forgot about him when I made my list. Either way, a good middle 6 player would really solidify our depth in a major way. Someone that's nominally a 2nd line winger that can move down like Nyquist/Pavs or a strong 3rd line center/winger that can move up like Donskoi would be perfect. Definitely sucks to have let those guys go but we didn't have much of a choice.

Reactions: Pistol Pete

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose

Perhaps. Sharks need a center who can control the puck behind the opponents net and low in the boards. That's not normal from a defense man. They also need some depth forwards to replace the ones that left in the off-season. That is, if the new guys continue to stay down in the AHL.

Their PP, ranked at #12 in the league, is only .2 out from being ranked in the top ten. Their PK is the best in the league. This is odd considering both their goalies are under .900 again. The PK says the Sharks have obviously good defensive capability, but the big guys are making stupid mistakes in front of their own net, and the goalies haven't stepped it up consistently. A good portion of this is on the coaching staff, imo.

DW needs a 1st line center type, a couple of depth forwards, a goaltender with some consistency, and a coaching staff that can make the necessary changes to the system. All this without impacting the PP or the PK.

Something needs to be done about Thornton. Sharks with 20 or more games, he's dead last in productivity among forwards. If you count all skaters, then only Vlasic has worse points. If he doesn't get going in December, he needs to retire in January, and free up some cap space.

Excedrin headache #65 for DW. He's been signing contracts that is unlike him from before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad