GDT: 2018 WJC • Game 31 • Gold: SWE (1) - CAN (3) F

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
To me the key to Canada winning today is to get on that fantastically skilled swedish defense, I thought it was the key for the Americans to win yesterday also and said so. We need to get on them hard immediately and all game long and disrupt what they are so very capable of doing. They can make **** happen to hurt you in the blink of an eye, I think their skill level back there is a cut above Canadas or anyone elses in this tournament. It has to be dealt with and right from the drop of the puck.

Second key is Hart, I have not liked how he tracks pucks being passed east west on power plays or any other situation, he makes me nervous. We cannot take any more then 3-4 penalties IMO, not confident in the guy at all but I hope he proves me wrong.

That's always the key to beating Sweden. Generally their players don't handle sustained physical pressure well. The way Sweden handled pressure from USA near the end of the semi final game makes me think that it is something that Canada could definitely capitalize on. Whether or not that happens is a different matter. The other key for Canada, in addition to Hart, is moving the puck up the ice quickly. That issue cost Canada the gold medal last year and has reared its head at times in this tournament.

Reactions: jj cale

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
The slash was dirty and deserved a penalty (but given the outcome, I expected the replay to show a two handed baseball swing but it wasn't nearly that bad). I'm glad he wasn't suspended though. Not only was it not deserving of a suspension, I'd rather Canada win or lose against the best lineup Sweden can ice on the day.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I think Sweden's top end defensemen are better. Dahlin and Liljegren and to an extent Branstrom have had great tournaments but once you get passed those three defensemen....There really isn't much to see there. Canada's back end as a whole is a better more balanced group in my opinion.

It may be more balanced but as we have both said it's top end is quite superior and I don't think there is any doubt of that. They have the ability to hurt us from the back end far more then our counterparts can to them aside from Makar.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
That's always the key to beating Sweden. Generally their players don't handle sustained physical pressure well. The way Sweden handled pressure from USA near the end of the semi final game makes me think that it is something that Canada could definitely capitalize on. Whether or not that happens is a different matter. The other key for Canada, in addition to Hart, is moving the puck up the ice quickly. That issue cost Canada the gold medal last year and has reared its head at times in this tournament.

Can't disagree with any of this.

And God.........................Hart makes me nervous, not sold on him whatsoever.

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
There won't be any key to be found for Team Canada to unlock Team Sweden tonight. That is my grand vision of the big picture making itself known through this great final battle between Nordiques and Nordmanner.

Whine, cry, shout - no avail.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
There won't be any key to be found for Team Canada to unlock Team Sweden tonight. That is my grand vision of the big picture making itself known through this great final battle between Nordiques and Nordmanner.

Whine, cry, shout - no avail.

Not quite sure what this means.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
4-3 Sweedes

Pettersson Dahlin Nylander and Andersson are the biggest game breakers in the building tnt.

Canada hs very solid game but in a one game elimination, i think they will regret not putting Glass Szuki and Lind on roster. Game breakers

Reactions: nickeleyegoldopin

bottomofthefoodchain

Feb 10, 2008
Stockholm
If the refs had seen it they wouldn't have had any choice but to assess a major + game-misconduct or match penalty.

Looking att the slash it looked like absolutely nothing and I saw stuff that was a lot worse then that during the match (example: Tkachuks triple crosscheck to Andersson after the whistle). The only reason this is an issue now is the injury and because of how the rules are written there is nothing wrong with that. I my opinion it the slash is not worthy of a match penalty (and automatic suspension) because it wasn't especially vicious and just extremely unlucky that Yamamoto got injured.

Is Yamamoto not playing tonight?

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
That
The slash was dirty and deserved a penalty (but given the outcome, I expected the replay to show a two handed baseball swing but it wasn't nearly that bad). I'm glad he wasn't suspended though. Not only was it not deserving of a suspension, I'd rather Canada win or lose against the best lineup Sweden can ice on the day.
Where did you find this info?

Definetely not deserving of a suspension there are over 10 situations every game that are more deserving of a suspension than this.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
I just hope it isn't decided by a shootout so the losing team fans don't constantly nag about it.

TheTwelfth

Jan 6, 2014
The Tardis

I dont know what game you were watching. Sweden was under constant pressure at the end because they were playing in the PK all the time due to the Americans not being able to stop diving. They let in 2 in the end when they had essentially sealed the game in their 5th or 6th PK in a row, big deal. If anything, the Americans were not able to get under the Swedish players' skin.

Reactions: 99664987

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
Can't disagree with any of this.

And God.........................Hart makes me nervous, not sold on him whatsoever.
I'm not a big Hart fan either but i will say he's equally as unlikely to cost Canada the game as he is to win one for them.

jbobell98

Dec 14, 2017
Judging from stubhub it looks like theres less than 1500 tickets left which is pretty good considering how bad attendance has been so far

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad