GDT: 2018 WJC • Game 09 • Group B: SWE (3) - CZE (1) F

novisor

Feb 6, 2012
Kitchener, ON
Hope the Czech's take this one. Would be nice to seem them really make this a tournament that has 6 potential winners year in, year out. They win this one, they take the group.
Prediction: 4-3 Czech Republic (5-3 with EN, maybe).

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015
That line looked pretty good to me last game?

Lindström didn't look very good to me, the line was fine but i honestly believe that they should look a lot better. But i guess we'll see how they look in this game, im very skepical tbh but hopefully i'm proven wrong.

Like others have pointed out, maybe Lundeström isn't the best option and i suppose i might be wrong in this case, was unaware that the 3rd line had been together for so long. All in all i'm very skeptical regarding Lindström, but we'll see as the tournament goes on.

Mauler

Dec 19, 2015
Tough game the Czechs are very good Sweden better get things together this game its important to win today... Why did Monten have to screw up the Pettersson and Nylander line with Linus Lindström makes no sense and i still cant believe they sent Lukas Elvenes home

Reactions: felixpettersson

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
FYI, the game is today. Don't want you to miss it o_O
Oh yeah haha, it was nearly 6 am when I posted that and it was technically night time so I got confused. My definition of tomorrow is when I wake up

Reactions: Pouliot

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
It is funny that 15-20 years ago Canadians were blaming Czechs of diving and dirty play, and Czechs were equally blaming Canadians of rough play, cowardly fouls, hitting on the head etc. Here in the Czech republic, every hockey fan hated Canada, labelling Canadian players as dirty cowards, who are hitting from behind and brawling when the game is not going the way they like, to say "but Canada has great players" was almost dangerous among the fans here. And some years later, I have learned that many Canadians have had equal animosity for the Czechs, calling them divers and dirty slashers. This was sort of funny.
However, I believe that the former eastern block hockey and the north American hockey have intermingled so massively since then, that these verbal wars make no more sense.

I'm not Canadian though, I'm Swedish. ;)

But yeah, I have always had the same feeling about Canada on the international scene.

They have played AND gotten away with tons of bs through the years.

BigBadBoar

Dec 20, 2017
Pardubice
I'm not Canadian though, I'm Swedish. ;)

But yeah, I have always had the same feeling about Canada on the international scene.

They have played AND gotten away with tons of bs through the years.

I think this were the 90's - early 2000's. Well, we didn't hate Sweden too much then, we hated Canada and Russia. :) And as always, all Czech fans were convinced the refs are against us, they overlook the opponents' fouls etc., even in the situations when this was a nonsense. Perhaps the situations you were calling diving we were calling "look, apparent foul and the ref overlooked it" back then. I suppose this to be normal for a certain type of a fan, to see your team as the one playing fair and the other team as playing dirty. Now I believe i grew up from being this kind of a fan, but back then, it was so funny. When we played Sweden or Finland, it was nothing special, but man, Canada and Russia - people were sitting in from of their TV's and shouting out lout harsh words addressed to the CAN/RUS players. :)) With Russia, of course, there is still something left of this, because of all that historical events. During the communist era, people hated the Soviet players simply because they hated the Soviet regime. There even was a fan motto, inspired by the propaganda motto "With the Soviet Union for the eternal times," which was converted into "Let's beat the Russians for the eternal times." Canada I believe became the "adversary" during the 90's, I don't exactly know why. Perhaps just because they were good. :)

Reactions: IWantMyParade

Jablkon

May 23, 2014
Czech Republic
I think this were the 90's - early 2000's. Well, we didn't hate Sweden too much then, we hated Canada and Russia. :) And as always, all Czech fans were convinced the refs are against us, they overlook the opponents' fouls etc., even in the situations when this was a nonsense. Perhaps the situations you were calling diving we were calling "look, apparent foul and the ref overlooked it" back then. I suppose this to be normal for a certain type of a fan, to see your team as the one playing fair and the other team as playing dirty. Now I believe i grew up from being this kind of a fan, but back then, it was so funny. When we played Sweden or Finland, it was nothing special, but man, Canada and Russia - people were sitting in from of their TV's and shouting out lout harsh words addressed to the CAN/RUS players. :)) With Russia, of course, there is still something left of this, because of all that historical events. During the communist era, people hated the Soviet players simply because they hated the Soviet regime. There even was a fan motto, inspired by the propaganda motto "With the Soviet Union for the eternal times," which was converted into "Let's beat the Russians for the eternal times." Canada I believe became the "adversary" during the 90's, I don't exactly know why. Perhaps just because they were good. :)
I guess with Canada it became with that 90s grinding style and especially with that 98 browl. It looked like people generally thought czechs were more technical which canadians couldnt manage so they played too much physical. On the other hand czech fans overlooked that constant hooking etc. made by czech players.True is czechs didnt like much physical play.But that animosity was mutual imo, maybe not from canadian fans, but definetely on players and coaches level.

Reactions: IWantMyParade

BigBadBoar

Dec 20, 2017
Pardubice
I guess with Canada it became with that 90s grinding style and especially with that 98 browl. It looked like people generally thought czechs were more technical which canadians couldnt manage so they played too much physical. On the other hand czech fans overlooked that constant hooking etc. made by czech players.True is czechs didnt like much physical play.But that animosity was mutual imo, maybe not from canadian fans, but definetely on players and coaches level.

In the late 90's hooking was generally much less penalised compared to today's hockey. Jágr for example used quick hooks very often, this is true. On the other hand, he used to be very often hooked himself. Regarding the physical play, this was the issue of most players used to play in Europe, except for a few (Dopita for example). Canadians and perhaps other nations too were blaming Czechs of being too soft and avoiding the physical play, Czechs blamed other nations of playing rough and compensating the lack of technical skill with that roughness. But I think this quickly became a nonsense cliché. Of course, some Czech fans still dream of "smart and witty Czech hockey" and adore this imaginary style in contrast with "soulless" play of other nations, but everybody who is watching today's hockey regularly knows, that the game has developed and the top teams possess every aspect of it, technical skills, flashy skating, physical play and so on.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Going with 5-3 Sweden here with the last being an empty netter. Really liked the Czechs in their game against Russia, see if they can push Sweden.

Snuuzi

Nov 3, 2017
If Pettersson has some virus odds are the whole team has it. Hoping that extra day rest helped

sadpanda

May 19, 2016
Stockholm
God are they hyping up Dahlin in sweden. Wonder if it can hurt him in some way. Even a thing on tv called "Dagens dahlin", meaning dahlin of the day. Zzzzzzzzzz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad