Olympics: 2018 Winter Olympics Qualifying

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
It was on Sport1 as usual with the Hockey games

Nooooooooooo!!!! I missed it. Alas, we're in the tournament that's what counts. Good for us that Kühnhackl is young and on a team with many of the most gifted athletes in the league. His experience will be so important for german hockey.

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
Which goes to show that your excuses don't have much to do with this loss. You just weren't good enough.
Hey hey don't be so quick to bash on Latvia. We were all rooting for ya'll and we were all happy ya'll were successful but don't get too cocky. Ya'll are good because of the golden generation, but look at the top prospects and classes for 9-20 countries Latvia's #3, ya'll got almost nobody. There's the good 97' Simsic kid from Sodertalje, there's 99' Drozg who's 4th best forward at Leksand, Lennart Markun the 01' at Rapperswil but otherwise I mean ya'll have worse systemic issues than Latvia so show some respect all teams did pretty good today.

Arrhizal

May 4, 2012
Slovenia
Wtf? Re-read my posts. I told him that our hockey is in a worse state than theirs. He keeps crying about their problematic federation and whatnot. Well, our guys showed that that shouldn't be a factor. Slovenia probably has the biggest problems of all the elite class countries.

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
Hey hey don't be so quick to bash on Latvia. We were all rooting for ya'll and we were all happy ya'll were successful but don't get too cocky. Ya'll are good because of the golden generation, but look at the top prospects and classes for 9-20 countries Latvia's #3, ya'll got almost nobody. There's the good 97' Simsic kid from Sodertalje, there's 99' Drozg who's 4th best forward at Leksand, Lennart Markun the 01' at Rapperswil but otherwise I mean ya'll have worse systemic issues than Latvia so show some respect all teams did pretty good today.

Slovenia only has a few HUNDRED junior players across the whole country its amazing what they have achieved with such little resources

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
Well it is a factor. You have a golden generation at the prime of it's game yeah that can absolutely minimize the effect of a bad federation. In a few years ya'll may just be the fanbase saying "we have a terrible fed" and that's cool because it's legit but he's not a crybaby because he doesn't like his federation.

@BalticWarrior
Nobody said it wasn't impressive, but also don't overstate the accomplishment, Latvia has barely double the number of junior players. France has over twice the junior players that Austria has look at their best-on-best accomplishments. You really need to stop worrying about Latvian hockey it'll seriously be fine. Lipmans isn't ideal, but hockey's not a business you make much money in and he's sunk in over a million. He could be one of the heads to roll after this tournament, maybe not, but check back in a few years Latvia will be doing fine.

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
Well it is a factor. You have a golden generation at the prime of it's game yeah that can absolutely minimize the effect of a bad federation. In a few years ya'll may just be the fanbase saying "we have a terrible fed" and that's cool because it's legit but he's not a crybaby because he doesn't like his federation.

@BalticWarrior
Nobody said it wasn't impressive, but also don't overstate the accomplishment, Latvia has barely double the number of junior players. France has over twice the junior players that Austria has look at their best-on-best accomplishments. You really need to stop worrying about Latvian hockey it'll seriously be fine. Lipmans isn't ideal, but hockey's not a business you make much money in and he's sunk in over a million. He could be one of the heads to roll after this tournament, maybe not, but check back in a few years Latvia will be doing fine.

I agree i guess but ill correct you - there are 2000 and something u-20 players so its not barely twice its twice and then some( and keeps increasing btw) but i get what you are saying.

Temid

Oct 10, 2006
sLOVEnia
Heart attack inducing game yesterday (Belarus:Slovenia). So happy that our guys manage to pull thru again. Had a few ups and downs in the game itself, wouldnt be unfair if Belarus won neither. I had some doubts about Zupančič as head coach i admit, but he pulled all the right moves in this tournament, especially finally giving KroÅ¡elj number one between the pipes and selection of shoot out players was spot on too..

And i know this is getting old, but referees was bad. Belarus getting scored on two stupid penalties is not a reason to compensate on the other side. Not to mention Kranjc getting a skate in the face and laying on the ice in a pool of blood for half a minute before the play was interrupted.. wth..

Just to illustrate why hockey fans here get so happy.. we have 12 ice hockey clubs.. 5 of them are strictly amateur and only/mainly for junior players. From other 7 i would say one could be called a proffesional hockey club, rest of them semi-proffesional at best.
According to hockey federation numbers we have 180 registered hockey players (again, majoritiy of them are not pros) and cca 450 junior players from U12 to U20 selections. Gets a bit more muddy for players below age 10.. estimates are around 300 players at that age.. so all together we dont even break one thousand.
And we are in the olympic games! Again! Woooohooo :D

Ed Kastelic

May 9, 2006
slovenia
Slovenia only has a few HUNDRED junior players across the whole country its amazing what they have achieved with such little resources

yeah but we have quite a tradition. Team Yugoslavia already played at the olympics and it was practically all Slovenian team

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Nooooooooooo!!!! I missed it. Alas, we're in the tournament that's what counts. Good for us that Kühnhackl is young and on a team with many of the most gifted athletes in the league. His experience will be so important for german hockey.

If you can get Sport1+ you could watch it today at 6:15pm.

On the German team: NHL-guys aside, I particularly liked the way Hördler, Kahun, Hager and Schütz played in this tournament. Reimer did very well, too and nobody really stood out in a bad way. I was a little surprised that Noebels was cut, but this was a well balanced group.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
If you can get Sport1+ you could watch it today at 6:15pm.

On the German team: NHL-guys aside, I particularly liked the way Hördler, Kahun, Hager and Schütz played in this tournament. Reimer did very well, too and nobody really stood out in a bad way. I was a little surprised that Noebels was cut, but this was a well balanced group.

How was Draisaitl? I heard he had a nice goal and an assist.

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
How was Draisaitl? I heard he had a nice goal and an assist.

I would say he was good not great if you consider what he's capable of. Meaning he had a nice game and was very important for the team, but I am pretty sure he has another level we did not see yesterday or in the tournament at all.

He played very confident and calm which was especially helpful on the power play, but as usual he tried to pass a little too much at times.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
I would say he was good not great if you consider what he's capable of. Meaning he had a nice game and was very important for the team, but I am pretty sure he has another level we did not see yesterday or in the tournament at all.

He played very confident and calm which was especially helpful on the power play, but as usual he tried to pass a little too much at times.

This is very good analysis. I agree, Draisaitl was very influental but he is capable of more.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015

Thank You. Congrats to Germany!! Latvia, wish you were at the Olympics. You guys have the best fans, I've partied with my share of Latvians at international competitions. Latvian fans deserve recognition and respect. See you at the World Hockey Championship.

I have a high interest in Draisaitl. He is property of the Oilers. Any reviews are helpful. It looks like he lost weight this season. His statistics looked good, 5 points in 3 games I believe?

If any Latvian, German, or any fan who watched him play, how did Drai look throughout the tournament?

Stoat

Jan 5, 2014
Oulu
I would have loved to see the Danes at the Olympics. I really think that they've taken huge steps to the right direction during the last years.

Hopefully some dane here can tell me if there has happened something significant within the last 10 years or so.

- Stoat

Past Considerations

May 13, 2007
Finland
I would have loved to see the Danes at the Olympics. I really think that they've taken huge steps to the right direction during the last years.

Hopefully some dane here can tell me if there has happened something significant within the last 10 years or so.

- Stoat
It is just one 3-game tournament, things can go wrong. I'm not sure there needs to be more into it than that.

Did Denmark have their NHL players?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad