Olympics: 2018 Winter Olympics Qualifying

GermanNuck

Jun 15, 2011
Germany
Yeeeeees!

What a game! Thanks Latvia. I'm actually a bit sad that you guys won't be there too make life a whole lot harder for the big teams.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
A bit too close for comfort but they qualified. Would've been a big disapointment not to qualify. Very strong roster ( in comparison to previous German rosters ) maybe the strongest roster Germany ever had(?) .

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Congrats Germany. Well done, will root for you in Korea.

mexicohockey

Sep 18, 2007
DF
Interesting goaltending decisions by the Latvian coach.
First pulled Gudlevskis midway through the second period for no apparent reason, but somehow this sparked his team and somehow they draw the score.
Fast forward to the dying minutes of the game, Latvia down by one again, draws a penalty but the goalies stays in. Missed opportunity, and a coaching error from my point of view.

Tronador

Nov 13, 2003
Berlin
Visit site
Yeeeeees!

What a game! Thanks Latvia. I'm actually a bit sad that you guys won't be there too make life a whole lot harder for the big teams.

I have to agree. It is very sad, that Latvia won't take part at Olympics. But in my eyes, the Latvian hockey has a bright future. They have so many great prospects.

ellja3

May 19, 2014
Ķekava, Latvia
Regarding the refs, nothing to complain about from LAT side.

Numerous non-calls on holding/boarding/interference both ways, let alone letting LAT get away w too many men at least twice.

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
Regarding the refs, nothing to complain about from LAT side.

Numerous non-calls on holding/boarding/interference both ways, let alone letting LAT get away w too many men at least twice.

Yep there wasnt any favouritism, refs sucked on both sides, they always do as is tradition for IIHF

ellja3

May 19, 2014
Ķekava, Latvia
Yep there wasnt any favouritism, refs sucked on both sides, they always do as is tradition for IIHF

Yeah, it's one of those things that pisses you off year after year, but you just realize it has always been so and most probably won't change in future either.

At this point I am not even in ''Lipman, resign" crowd or seeking the system failure excuses; but flat out sad that next OG will be w/o LV hockey team. Just that.

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
Yeah, it's one of those things that pisses you off year after year, but you just realize it has always been so and most probably won't change in future either.

At this ipoint I am not even in ''Lipman, resign" crowd or seeking the system failure excuses; but flat out sad that next OG will be w/o LV hockey team. Just that.

Us not being in Olympics also hurts hockey exposure here , which is thing to consider.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
I sooked about the timing of the last Olympic qualifiers, feeling that Germany and Denmark were very hard done by. Well the Danes self destructed and never got close. Well done again to Slovenia. Punching above their weight and this time with a goalie I had never seen before.

There was not much to choose but I do feel Germany is slightly better than Latvia and deserve their birth. France showed they can compete but it's hard to be upset with Norway getting in. Really pleased to see the Austrian train wreck not getting in...nothing personal but they would not bring much of anything to the Olympics and we have about as good a field as we could have hoped for.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad