OT: 2018 Vancouver Whitecaps Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..

This makes me feel a LITTLE bit better... Hopefully they don't make the trade and we can get Parker re-signed.

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010

This makes me feel a LITTLE bit better... Hopefully they don't make the trade and we can get Parker re-signed.

According to MLSsoccer.com, Parker's asked for a trade because the Caps aren't willing to meet his salary demands.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Here we go again...f***ing penny-pinching jackasses. Unbelivable how anyone could support the owners.

Another year where I'll probably not buy any tickets.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Here we go again...****ing penny-pinching jackasses. Unbelivable how anyone could support the owners.

Another year where I'll probably not buy any tickets.
He turned down a pretty generous offer, based on the reports. I don’t think this is really penny-pinching, as it’s not clear he’s legitimately a top CB in the league.

Reactions: clunk

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
He turned down a pretty generous offer, based on the reports. I don’t think this is really penny-pinching, as it’s not clear he’s legitimately a top CB in the league.

He is 24 and at least has potential to round out better than Waston on CB. It would have been a worthwhile gamble.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Yeah, this is not 'penny pinching' by the Caps... They offered him more than Waston makes to stay... Apparently he wants DP level salary.

It's likely just a tactic to get out of Vancouver. If the NYRB or NYCFC offered him the same deal, he'd likely scoop it up.

I've been very critical of ownership in the past, but this isn't their fault.

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
Apparently his significant other stays out east throughout the year, probably more personal that's driving it than financial.

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
Apparently the Caps and Impact are linked with Arfield. Would be nice having another Canadian in the mix, but I would imagine unless he gets paid a bundle, he'll find a spot with a lower tier premiership team.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Hopefully. Or Felipe in a Parker trade with NYRB. Don't think we got enough for Tchani, but it gives us cap relief as well, so it's not all bad.

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
Expected the Parker trade once we traded for Aja from Orlando.

Like the Mutch addition, would be awesome if we could get Arfield too. With those two in the midfield, the Caps would solidify the centre while also having the ability to pass the ball (lacking from the last few years) to the wing and up front.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Looks like we're probably going to a more possession based system with these signings. Perhaps 3 at the back?

Tired of the long ball system we've been forced to watch in Robinson's reign. Though, the only concern I have is having a good enough team without having 3 DPs to be able to match up with the better teams in the league... We'll see.

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
Looks like we're probably going to a more possession based system with these signings. Perhaps 3 at the back?

Tired of the long ball system we've been forced to watch in Robinson's reign. Though, the only concern I have is having a good enough team without having 3 DPs to be able to match up with the better teams in the league... We'll see.

I'm slightly concerned about the left side of the backline. I'm guessing it's Waston plus one of Aja/Henry/Maund as much as possible. However, Waston will be at the World Cup for a few weeks that will likely mean we're playing with two of the three. I'm a little concerned at that. Marcel de Jong outplayed Harvey last year and deserved more starts, but I still have some questions about him.

I imagine that despite Robinson saying that they'll consider playing three at the back, they'll start the year off in a 4-2-3-1.

Marinovic
Nerwinski - Waston - Henry/Aja/Maund - de Jong
Ghazal - Juarez
Techera - Reyna - Shea (though I'd rather see Davies)
Kamara

On bench: Rowe, Maund/Aja/Henry, Teibert/Felipe, Ibini, Mezquida, Davies, Blondell

Eventually Mutch will replace Juarez in the starting lineup and Davies should hopefully replace Shea in the starting lineup at some point during the year. Ideally, I think since the Caps have an abundance of wingers, Shea could be moved for some help in the backline.

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
With the injuries to Henry and Ghazal, I'm pretty much dead on with my guess. Maund is partnering Waston, Teibert comes in for the injured Ghazal but surprised to see Davies gets the start ahead of Shea.

Not sure who's on the bench yet, but I'm betting now that it's Rowe, Aja, Felipe, Ibini, Shea, Mezquida and Blondell. Though something tells me Hurtado has somehow made the bench.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Ghazal being injured really, really sucks. He's key in our midfield, especially with Tchani being traded.

Teibert starting is not something I wanted to see even semi regularly this season.

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
I'm alright with Tchani being gone, I always thought he was a bit of a lazy player. But that could have just been his natural stride.

It doesn't bode too well that I was able to nail the bench for the Whitecaps. Robinson is so predictable at times it's scary as a fan.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
I'm alright with Tchani being gone, I always thought he was a bit of a lazy player. But that could have just been his natural stride.

It doesn't bode too well that I was able to nail the bench for the Whitecaps. Robinson is so predictable at times it's scary as a fan.
More just playstyle wise. I'd rather have another midfield 'destroyer' in the mould of Ghazal or Tchani to backup Ghazal than one footed Teibert.

He works hard, but he just doesn't have the skill and size to be an effective guy in that role.

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
More just playstyle wise. I'd rather have another midfield 'destroyer' in the mould of Ghazal or Tchani to backup Ghazal than one footed Teibert.

He works hard, but he just doesn't have the skill and size to be an effective guy in that role.

I never really got that when I saw Tchani play.

I definitely think that Ghazal would have been in the starting lineup if not for the injury. Teibert's predictable in that you know he'll always go to his left foot.

I don't like Fisher's decisions as a ref. Thought he got a yellow out too early for Juarez and Taider completely embellished any contact by Waston who is now on a yellow too.

If I'm the Whitecaps, I'm telling Kamara to stay in the centre and just play consistently down the left hand side. Davies has the beating of Petrasso all day. Kamara shouldn't be on the wing.

The only criticism I have of Reyna, Davies and Techera is that they're trying to hold onto the ball too much to get a perfect shot. Would like to see quicker movement.

Last edited:
Reactions: clunk

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Well, it's a better product so far than last season... More possession oriented it seems, but the Caps are still having trouble it seems getting that final ball right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad