OT: 2018 Vancouver Whitecaps Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
Yeah I don’t think they were expecting him back right?

Not with acquiring Kamara, buying Blondell and somehow still keeping Hurtado. They still need a decent CB in case of injury and a more creative midfielder. They have Mezquida but he's better as an attacking midfielder and his defensive game isn't the best. The Whitecaps can depend on Ghazal and Laba to win the ball in midfield but they don't have anyone capable of making that pass between the midfield and the forwards. Right now, the strategy is going to punt and run.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Yeah, reallyyyyyyyyyyy not a fan of the strategy we're playing but we just might be able to get enough set piece goals this year to see us through. Hoof ball will only work so well. We have a lot of tall, menacing players we can put in the box, which will be potentially even more of a threat this season, but we need more creative players... Ideally, a box to box guy like Nosa (Who we let go) or Hutchinson (Who I'd love to see join us) or a Deep Lying Playmaker with great passing ability is of utmost importance right now, I'd say.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Goal is to the make the playoffs but I doubt the Whitecaps will even get far with that awful mix up front.

I see many games where the strategy will involve chasing after long balls. "Punt and run" as per Canadianmagpie.

I have to believe we have the lowest payroll in the league now.

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
Vancouver draft a couple of fullbacks in the draft yesterday, don't look like they have a lot of attacking upside based on their stats.

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
Well, can't depend on Laba anymore as he's signed with an Argentine club, Estudiantes de La Plata. Big loss for the Caps as he was one of the best defensive midfielders in the league in my opinion. Leaves us pretty weak in the middle now with Ghazal, Tchani, Juarez and Teibert. I'm not as big of a fan of Tchani as Robinson is, so I'm hoping that Juarez is able to bring something to the team. Hopefully the Caps are still able to bring in another CB and creative midfielder before the season starts.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Not sure we need another CB unless he's a back up, or we're playing 3 CBs in the back. Creative midfielder though, absolutely.

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
Not sure we need another CB unless he's a back up, or we're playing 3 CBs in the back. Creative midfielder though, absolutely.

Apparently Robinson was considering putting three in the back. I like Parker and Waston as a tandem, but without Waston, the defense always looks shaky. I think he'll be with Costa Rica for some time as well at the World Cup too. I'd like to see us get that 3rd quality CB so we don't lose out in quality when Waston is away or if we play three at the back.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Apparently Robinson was considering putting three in the back. I like Parker and Waston as a tandem, but without Waston, the defense always looks shaky. I think he'll be with Costa Rica for some time as well at the World Cup too. I'd like to see us get that 3rd quality CB so we don't lose out in quality when Waston is away or if we play three at the back.

cbda630576.jpg

I think something like this could work. Or if we want to play Blondell alongside Kamara, drop a CDM and move the remaining CDM a bit deeper, just in front of the defense. Davies and Techera could come on if we need a goal on the wings. I see the wings as more complete wing backs rather than just fullbacks. Lots of running involved, since they're going to need to transition from offense to defense very quickly. I'm comfortable with Davies' two way ability but I'd be a bit worried with Techera getting back on the left. We always have Levis to give a shot to as well.

Kamara will get a LOT of service with this formation, I'd say...

I would probably agree with you. I'd like to see another CB, but another really tall and menacing CB like Waston would be great. I'd like all of our CBs to have aerial ability so we can dominate on set pieces.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Well, can't depend on Laba anymore as he's signed with an Argentine club, Estudiantes de La Plata. Big loss for the Caps as he was one of the best defensive midfielders in the league in my opinion. Leaves us pretty weak in the middle now with Ghazal, Tchani, Juarez and Teibert. I'm not as big of a fan of Tchani as Robinson is, so I'm hoping that Juarez is able to bring something to the team. Hopefully the Caps are still able to bring in another CB and creative midfielder before the season starts.
Laba had been on his way out for quite some time (he was supposed to be sold for a decent fee during the season, and Robinson ridiculously played him in the next game where he got hurt). The team had consciously decided to let him go well before he found a new club just now. The team didn't particularly miss him when he was out of the lineup, and Ghazal has been equally effective.

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
Laba had been on his way out for quite some time (he was supposed to be sold for a decent fee during the season, and Robinson ridiculously played him in the next game where he got hurt). The team had consciously decided to let him go well before he found a new club just now. The team didn't particularly miss him when he was out of the lineup, and Ghazal has been equally effective.

I'll concede that Ghazal is a similar player to Laba, but from what I've seen, Laba is still better than Ghazal.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
The long-awaited kit leak!

vancouver-whitecaps-2018-away-kit-2.jpg
vancouver-whitecaps-2018-away-kit-1.jpg

Dark grey is an interesting concept, and they are pretty sleek, although I would have liked at least a little sky blue (including in the crest) to keep the team's identity present. It would hardly detract from the "clean" look.

Adidas has recycled the triangle pattern from Spain's 2016 Euro jerseys, apparently.

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
To reflect the grey clouds over Vancouver? :sarcasm:

I dunno how I feel about them. I'd like to see them in person before I make my feelings known.

TJ21

SURVIVED JIMBOCALYPSE - 12/5/2021
Oct 3, 2012
Vancouver
If those are the actual jerseys, those are legit beautiful and I can not wait to pick them up. I think I'm bias as a Man United fan and their current black ones, but those Caps jerseys are slick. Love it. Those markups are also fantastic, very well done.

Reactions: Jyrki21

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
I doubt another ownership group would spend a lot of money on the Caps.

Honestly... If Aquilini would sell the Canucks and buy the Whitecaps, I'd actually be really happy. It would solve two problems at once.

Reactions: Jyrki21 and MS

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
Saw the highlights from the LAFC vs Whitecaps game, unfortunately the stream was having issues. Not the greatest of camera angles but it looks like Blondell is matching up well with Reyna, both had two goals and Blondell's were both nice finishes.

Mr Plow

Apr 15, 2016
Did anyone hear the rumour on team 1040 about Tim Parker to NYFC? I didn't hear what we were supposed to get back.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Did anyone hear the rumour on team 1040 about Tim Parker to NYFC? I didn't hear what we were supposed to get back.
Felipe Martins was the rumour, which may be nice, but I'd much rather have Parker.

Then the follow up rumour was about a fair amount of targeted allocation money(TAM) coming back instead. NYRB have a lot of it.

Parker supposedly wants more money than the Whitecaps are willing to give.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad