OT: 2018 Vancouver Whitecaps Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
Great start; awesome to see Davies finally open his MLS account.

All newbies looked good too, outside of maybe Juarez, who was a little out of sync.

Only knock was how the final 10 minutes went. That easily could have been a blown two goal lead on home soil in the final ten minutes.

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
Had my own soccer game to get to so I had to leave right after Kamara's goal, but what a great goal to score on your debut. I think this is the year you'll see Davies explode.

Was pretty impressed with Maund in central defense, pretty solid and had a decent passing distribution in the 63 minutes I saw.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Had my own soccer game to get to so I had to leave right after Kamara's goal, but what a great goal to score on your debut. I think this is the year you'll see Davies explode.

Was pretty impressed with Maund in central defense, pretty solid and had a decent passing distribution in the 63 minutes I saw.

Maund was responsible for the 1st goal and almost was responsible for a 2nd goal as well. He played well leading up to the first goal, but his game kind of fell apart afterwards.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
I don’t know much about soccer but you can tell that Davies was the best player on the field today with Kamara a close second.

This could really be Davies finalnyear here if he’s graduating high school this year

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
Maund was responsible for the 1st goal and almost was responsible for a 2nd goal as well. He played well leading up to the first goal, but his game kind of fell apart afterwards.

It's certainly the area the Caps need to address. The left side of defense is pretty weak with de Jong and whomever the Caps play beside Waston. Ideally I'd like to see Shea/Hurtado traded for a solid centreback (though the Caps would likely have to have something nice to add to them to get it).

Samzilla

Prust & Dorsett are
Apr 2, 2011
We had 49.6% possession yesterday. Considering we were dead last in the entire league the previous season with something like 35% average, that's a huge step up. Hopefully it's a trend, not an exception.

CRDragon

[̲̅$̲̅(̲̅ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°̲̅)̲̅$̲̅]
Dec 2, 2006
Vancouver
We had 49.6% possession yesterday. Considering we were dead last in the entire league the previous season with something like 35% average, that's a huge step up. Hopefully it's a trend, not an exception.

We had something like 57% at half...2nd half was poor possession wise, but they made it up with better quality in the atking third.

stuffradio

Oct 3, 2012
Vancouver
I'm still not happy with having Marinovic, the goal he gave up looks like something Ousted would have stopped, and I just like Ousted better. He hasn't shown anything yet to say we should have a lot of confidence in his game.

I was surprised at the attendance. I wonder why there was such a spike in attendance. Hopefully we keep up the attendance, and we can actually expand the seating!

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
Caps a little lucky at times to come away with another 2-1 win. However, showed some clinical finishing to come away with a big three points in a place we've never won.

Our depth is going to be tested if de Jong is out for a while. Davies did a good job at left back though.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Houston deserved a lot better, at least a draw, but that was a good road win. Very shaky in the first half, but were solid in the 2nd.

I liked Davies a lot at left back. Much prefer him there than Shea.

Speaking of Shea, I love when he pulls incredible goals out of his ***. Guy is so unpredictable.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
Huge road win in a game I am sure they were prepared to lose.

Missed most of the second half, but the first half was a good road half. Kamara scored from the spot. A bad defensive breakdown shortly after de Jong was subbed off due to injury led to the lone goal against.

Shea, who came on for de Jong (Davies switched to left back), scored an early second half goal on a breakaway, which held up as the winner.

Houston only lost at home once all of last year. Good job taking advantage of an early season visit and, hence, no 100 degree heat to bag three points.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
We just lost a shot at Vancouver hosting World Cup games because the NDP provincial government didn't want to pay to make it happen.

Sweet.

But **** Christy Clark, huh?

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
We just lost a shot at Vancouver hosting World Cup games because the NDP provincial government didn't want to pay to make it happen.

Sweet.

NDP are morons; always have been.

Just like the US (Trump) and Canucks (Linden/Benning) sometimes change is not always for the better.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Sweet.

From the reports the ndp asked for but didn’t get clarification on potential costs.

Edm, Mon, Tor & Van were targeted as the Canadian host cities for a total of 10 games. So, likely talking 3 games for Van and Tor and 2 each for Mon and Edm.

Bc place needs no renovations or temporary seating so there are no costs there. But, they would have to install a grass field. Women’s World Cup FIFA asked for a uniform surface for all fields. So, there’s a cost there. How much are the security costs for 3 games and however many days those teams are here.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
From the reports the ndp asked for but didn’t get clarification on potential costs.

Edm, Mon, Tor & Van were targeted as the Canadian host cities for a total of 10 games. So, likely talking 3 games for Van and Tor and 2 each for Mon and Edm.

Bc place needs no renovations or temporary seating so there are no costs there. But, they would have to install a grass field. Women’s World Cup FIFA asked for a uniform surface for all fields. So, there’s a cost there. How much are the security costs for 3 games and however many days those teams are here.

Is it the NDP saying that? I highly doubt they weren't told what they would need to host it... Maybe they should have done that research themselves? BC Place is long overdue for a grass field, anyways. ****ing Toronto and Montreal have grass fields, and they live in much worse climates than us to be able to maintain one year round.

Most, if not nearly all soccer players and football players prefer playing on grass than artificial turf.

Grass fields also cost a lot less to implement and maintain. This would be happening in 2026 if the North America joint bid gets chosen over Morocco. That's PLENTY of time to implement a grass field and devise a system for changing it for different events, or find other places to host events.

It's so beyond a joke that VANCOUVER of all places, arguably the most outdoorsy city in the most outdoorsy province in Canada, doesn't have a grass field in its most significant non-hockey stadium.

This is NDP failure. And yes, 3 games is absolutely worth it. This is, again, the biggest sporting event in the world. The last World Cup had 3.2 BILLION viewers. What a mistake to not showcase Vancouver's beauty and give a very sporty town another big event that it PROVED it cherished in 2010. Hosting the World Cup is not only 270 minutes of games. It creates an atmosphere around the city. People get pumped up. Fans visit from around the world, and take in Vancouver, etc.

What a missed opportunity. I'm sad for Vancouver that the BC government didn't go for this, especially when the city and mayor were 100% on board.

And yeah, Crobro made a very good point. Wtf?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Of course players prefer grass. Of the 31 nfl stadiums 18 had grass and 13 had turf. All cfl stadiums have turf except Toronto.

MLS and cfl seasons combined run from March to November. Can grass hold up in B.C. place during the non sporting events like the home and boat shows that are held during that period?

Toronto’s bmo field holds 30k while Montreal’s holds 20k. How does hat wo k economically?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad