2018 U Sports Playoffs/University Cup (Fredericton, NB)

MiamiHockey

Sep 12, 2012
McGill beat Concordia 6-2 in the OUA East deciding game, then beat Brock 5-1 in the Queen's Cup. McGill is clearly the best team in the OUA, and will be ready. Kelly Nobes has taken Laurier and McGill to the University Cup multiple times, including a Championship in 2011. McGill is deep, plays very structured, and will be ready for tonight's game.

As for Brock and Concordia ...

The OUA West has gotten terribly weak. I wish I knew the reason why, but Western is a shadow of its former self, and nobody has stepped in to fill the void. There are probably just too many teams recruiting from a limited OHL talent pool. Brock will not be back to the UCup for a long time. They were a .500 team in a weak division ... they have a veteran team and rode a hot goalie to get 0ut of the OUA West.

Concordia is talented, but renowned for their sloppy defence and weak structure, which was badly exposed by UNB. Then again, UNB pounded St FX by a combined score of 11-3 in the AUS Championship ... so it seems clear that UNB is at another level. I wouldn't read too much into the score differential other than UNB being a dominant program.

McGill is deep, talented, and well-coached. It will be a great game tonight.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
I would read more into the Brock score than the Concordia one.

Concordia was decent against decent teams. But even the OUA East has 3 very weak teams.

Brock was in a very weak division. But what about Guelph? They had an even easier schedule and rode that to a Top Ten (over)ranking in the official poll. The OUA has, in effect, two sub-divisions in each division for scheduling purposes. St. FX is good, and could win this. But they are not like UNB or Alberta. Brock's loss exposes them as a mid-level team.

This is also Concordia's first crack in a while. More exposure to AUS/CW teams could help them.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
I am listening on CHSR online, as suggested. Alberta is giving Acadia a severe whacking. 7-2 now.

MiamiHockey

Sep 12, 2012
Brock's loss exposes them as a mid-level team.

This is also Concordia's first crack in a while. More exposure to AUS/CW teams could help them.

Brock's 14-9-5 record with a 77-72 GF-GA exposed them as a mid-level team. What is noteworthy, as you noted, is the collapse of Guelph ahead of them.

Concordia is talented and - for the first time in forever - has good coaching. I think they could be back in the future.

There's a changing of the guard in the OUA East. UQTR is in decline with Concordia filling their void behind McGill. Carleton could be great if they found a decent coach.

Reactions: FreddtFoyle

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
Are the Bears dominating this game as much as the score would suggest?

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
They’re the better team no doubt...but the play wasn’t reflective of the 8-2 score at the time.

Acadia with a bunch of late ones to make it respectable...8-6 final.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
From 8-2 to 8-6 in the dying minutes. Yikes!

Monkeys advance. Now it really looks like the brackets should have been set so that we'd see Monkeys vs Jeremies in one semi-final and Squirrels vs Mutts/McGill winner in the other.

Bob Stauffer

Aug 4, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Ugly finish to the Bears victory over Acadia.
Build up an 8-2 lead and give up 3 goals in final :70.
A teaching lesson for Serge Lajoie methinks.
Nonethless beat a good AUS team.
Need to be better moving forward!

cishockeyfan

Nov 5, 2007
I couldnt make todays game due to work commitments can someone please explain to me how the score happen? Shots seemed close but Alberta was up 8-2 which surprised me to hear. Than Acadia finished off the period with 4 straight goals and 3 in the last 1:03.???

Was Alberta that dominant or the acadia goalie bad? And how did acadia down 8-2 score 4 straight and those 3 in the end? Did Alberta stop playing?

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
I couldnt make todays game due to work commitments can someone please explain to me how the score happen? Shots seemed close but Alberta was up 8-2 which surprised me to hear. Than Acadia finished off the period with 4 straight goals and 3 in the last 1:03.???

Was Alberta that dominant or the acadia goalie bad? And how did acadia down 8-2 score 4 straight and those 3 in the end? Did Alberta stop playing?
Acadia lost this game in the second period.
5 min major didn't help.
IMO, Bears are highly skilled, but lack the intensity of the team that went back to back.
Still, It will take a dam'n good team on a good day to beat them!
In the last few minutes, Alberta looked vulnerable in the defensive zone, and in goal, after 2-3 minutes of sustained forecheck, Acadia, scored 4 goals.
To late!
Bears were the better team today and I expect them to be hanging around on Sunday.

Bob Stauffer

Aug 4, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
As stated...repeatedly...Alberta has a lot of skill.
Their best offensive players Philip, Cox and Baille were quiet IMO.
They hit 2 posts on a short-handed situations when the game was 5-1 and 5-2.
With the score 8-2, the Bears fell asleep.
Soft D-Zone coverage as Acadia sold out with net front presence and gave up 3 cheap ones late.
Need to be much better if they want to win it all!

Last edited:

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
No doubt. Three stinkers, two of which were predictable. I thought Acadia-Alberta would be good.
Acadia has been streaky in the second half.
It wasn't their best effort, lack of defensive zone coverage, not enough puck pressure and a lack of physical play, to say the least.
All of which is needed to beat a team like Alberta!

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I was very surprised by the lack of physical play from Acadia. I thought that was one of their big keys to beating them last year and figured we would see more of the same today.

rethinking

Mar 4, 2013
I thought the terrible 5 minute major really took a lot out of Acadia especially when they had killed the first 4 minutes so well. When Alberta scored another power play goal in the second it may have affected Acadia's physical play.

Bob Stauffer

Aug 4, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Saskatchewan 4 McGill 1

Opportunistic scoring for the Huskies in what was an undisciplined game IMO.
Saskatchewan's D showed the ability to transport the puck and they got a bounce or two to win.
Taran Kozun was solid.
The top 4 teams all season. UNB, ST. FX, Alberta and Saskatchewan end up in the Semifinals.
Another piss poor performance from the OUA who got out scored 18-4 in three games.
McGill was clearly the best of the OUA teams, they had "some" talent.
USports obviously needs to re-evaluate the seeding process.
They don't seed in Men's Volleyball based on appeasing a weaker Conference, not sure why they insist doing it in hockey.

Should be a fun Saturday.

Stauffer in Sunrise, Florida

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I was surprised how physical McGill was...they played right on the line all game, probably crossing it a couple times. Curious if that’s how they played all year or if they were just getting frustrated?

That’s 9 straight losses by the OUA at the University Cup...0-3 in ‘16, ‘17, and now ‘18.

Excited to see the Alberta/Saskatchewan rivalry up close and in person tomorrow.

Last edited:

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
Saskatchewan 4 McGill 1

Opportunistic scoring for the Huskies in what was an undisciplined game IMO.
Saskatchewan's D showed the ability to transport the puck and they got a bounce or two to win.
Taran Kozun was solid.
The top 4 teams all season. UNB, ST. FX, Alberta and Saskatchewan end up in the Semifinals.
Another piss poor performance from the OUA who got out scored 18-4 in three games.
McGill was clearly the best of the OUA teams, they had "some" talent.
USports obviously needs to re-evaluate the seeding process.
They don't seed in Men's Volleyball based on appeasing a weaker Conference, not sure why they insist doing it in hockey.

Should be a fun Saturday.

Stauffer in Sunrise, Florida

Re: McGill
Starved foe offence in back to back trips to the University Cup. 2017, 4-1 loss to X, 2018, 4-1 loss to Saskatchewan. The game tightens up and there is less space to work with, McGill has struggled to adjust, specially in the offensive zone.
Dogs and Bears on neutral ice, no Claire Drake and no old Dog Barn!

AUS Fan

Aug 1, 2008
At the Rink
I thought Sask did a decent job boxing out and clearing rebounds. As Bob said, they got a bounce or two, but that's hockey. The Refs did a good job keeping a lid on things. McGill were a bit over aggressive at times. Looking at Alberta I see a faster team, but not as physical. Sask will have to bring their A game Saturday night. Looking forward to it.

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Alberta in their post game talked about adjusting to AUS hockey. They didn't really elaborate much beyond saying AUS teams always keep their feet moving.

Based on what I saw today, the big difference is that AUS teams normally hit to hurt in the playoffs, and tend to take the body more. Watching the Huskies reactionary play today, if I am X or UNB I would be drooling at the prospect of mixing it up with them and watch them take penalties. But I am pretty sure they won't get past Alberta.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad