2018 U Sports Playoffs/University Cup (Fredericton, NB)

rethinking

Mar 4, 2013
I think Simpson escaped because the refs realized that they blew it on the Pomerleau / LeBlanc 5 minute, calls.
Then they had to make it up to St. FX for not calling a penalty on Simpson which they did. I would have been fine with no call on Pomerleau, a 2 on LeBlanc and a 5 on Simpson.
St. FX comes across as being more disciplined simply because some obvious calls weren't made against them.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
Yes, another very disappointing OUA performance.

The OUA has expanded too much in the past decade, thinning out the talent pool. Let's not forget that 15 years ago Western and UQTR were regularly winning the University Cup. What we are seeing the last 5 years is the result of adding Carleton, UOIT, Nipissing, and Laurentian to all recruit from the same group of Ontario-based players. Meanwhile, the AUS has not changed, nor has Canada West, save for adding MRU. The top OUA teams simply aren't deep enough any more, and that leads to mediocre teams getting hot and making it out of the playoffs.

Let's be honest here: McGill could have very easily won tonight. And while UNB manhandled Concordia 8-1, they also manhandled the AUS runners-up 11-3 in the Championship series. UNB and Alberta are at another level. It's a convenient narrative to say "UNB crushed Concordia because the OUA is terrible, but Alberta crushed Acadia because Acadia has a bad game, and that flurry of late goals made it respectable." The reality is that Alberta and UNB have long been in a league of their own. McGill is right there with Saskatchewan, St FX, and the other runners-up.

But, the real issue is that the OUA is so thinned out that it sends one team every year that has no business being at the University Cup. That was Brock this year. The OUA needs to cut teams, not add more.
While there is dilution, don't forget that there are two more leagues out west. There are 30 players on CW scholarships in those leagues, concentrated on a few teams who would easily be OUA playoff teams.

IMO, Ontario is to be commended for a high ratio of participation in top level men's hockey. However, the folding of their college league is a disgrace. And the fact that it has not been replaced by a BCIHL-type of hybrid league is a shame. Perhaps the RMCs and Laurentians of the world would be happy in such a league, with some non-conference games added for flavour.

xxtyhhwjv06ngxgw.jpg

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Watching a replay on the call that led to the penalty shot...that might’ve been the shortest breakaway I’ve ever saw be called for a PS. Pretty much the exact same play when Bennett got hauled down at the end of the 2nd.

Oh well, nothing you can do about it now I suppose.

Bearpaw

Mar 21, 2014
There was definitely some interesting calls in that game. The roughing call was a solid hockey play - no penalty there, the knee was a call, but only two minutes but the hit to the head was missed on Simpson . There was definitely a lot on both sides that also was not called (which is hard to say considering the number of calls) .

Watching on Sportsnet, shoutout to Findley who did a great job . Also sounded like the crowd was great . Here's hoping game two is just as exciting .

MiamiHockey

Sep 12, 2012
While there is dilution, don't forget that there are two more leagues out west. There are 30 players on CW scholarships in those leagues, concentrated on a few teams who would easily be OUA playoff teams.

IMO, Ontario is to be commended for a high ratio of participation in top level men's hockey. However, the folding of their college league is a disgrace. And the fact that it has not been replaced by a BCIHL-type of hybrid league is a shame. Perhaps the RMCs and Laurentians of the world would be happy in such a league, with some non-conference games added for flavour.

xxtyhhwjv06ngxgw.jpg
Grant MacEwan is the only ACAC school competing for players with the CIS. The rest of the institutions in that league are not stealing players from the CIS. They are lower-tier post-secondary institutions. Fine hockey teams at NAIT and SAIT, but not stealing from the CIS pool.

MiamiHockey

Sep 12, 2012
UQTR and Western winning regularily?
UQTR did win in 2001 and 2003. That's 15 years ago. They also got smoked 11-0 at U Cup in Edmonton in 2005.
Western won once right?
It's kind of like the old joke about the Calgary Flames...how do you spell dynasty in Calgary...O...N...E...!
The AUS has top to bottom the toughest Conference, Alberta and Saskatchewan in the Canada West are consistently pretty good.
The McGill team we saw yesterday was on the level of the Calgary Dinos, but less disciplined.
I didn't need to see the 2 AUS vs OUA match-ups on Thursday, as I predidcted they were blow-outs.
As for Today I am sticking with:

UNB 4- X 1
Alberta 4-Saskatchewan 2

Cheers, Stauffer in Sunrise, FLA

Name the last Canada West team not named Alberta that won the University Cup.

rethinking

Mar 4, 2013
This is brutal watching the refs trying so hard to help Alberta. That's 2 borderline calls in a row against Saskatchewan in the 3rd period of a National Semi Final. Oh by the way, an earlier legitimate call in the 3rd, helped Alberta get their first goal.

rethinking

Mar 4, 2013
All I can say about the 4 penalty calls against Saskatchewan, is that Alberta scored on the 2 legitimate penalties. However, the parade of calls certainly wore Saskatchewan down and Alberta won in OT after Saskatchewan missed on the first good scoring chance in OT.
The officials had too much impact in both games unfortunately.
The 2 games tomorrow are actually the 2 games that we should have had today with proper scheduling IMO.

Reactions: Rob

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
So Alberta should be heavy favorites for tomorrow. X might benefit from a little bit more rest.

Bronze medal game will come down to who wants it more. VReds will be angry. Huskies depressed.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
That game made me even more annoyed UNB lost...neither overly impressed me, I think they could have taken either team.

If I’m St. FX I’m being as physical as I can be on the Bears. I’m surprised how Alberta doesn’t seem overly physical...maybe why they don’t take a ton of penalties. St FX might not be able to rely on a pile of power plays like UNB usually gives them.

Reactions: freddy123

Bob Stauffer

Aug 4, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
For the record.
I was on the air in Florida and then flying into Tampa and didn't get to see either game.
By all reports from Alum, etc, Alberta received at least 2 benificial calls on the PP.
But also told Saskatchewan sat back once they got up 2-0, that is motus operandi for them for those of you that recall the '05 Final at Rexall Place when the Huskies sat back with a 3-1 third period lead.
In both situations. Bears rallied and won in OT.
I have repeatedly stated this year's team is the best of the three that Serge Lajoe has coached....don't think they play with the same relentless passion that Ian Herber's team did that walked the Tournament in 2015 outscoring X/UQTR/UNB and outshooting them 102/39.
Tomorrow will be tough for the Golden Bears, impressive win by X today in Fredericton vs UNB

rethinking

Mar 4, 2013
Alarie and Adair should have had to buy tickets to the first semi final instead of being paid to referee. Bennett deserved a penalty shot just as much as the X player did and neither was really in the clear when they went down. The non call on Mark Simpson's brutal hit could be nothing but the refs trying to correct their previous wrong call(s) on UNB and then they had to try to make that non call up to St FX, which they did from then on to the end of OT. You can't correct bad calls with other bad calls.

It is really sad that you can have that level of officiating in a U Sport Semi Final! Two of the 4 straight calls against Saskatchewan in the 3rd period were pretty bad in the other Semi Final also.

Let's hope it's much better for the always dangerous Bronze medal game and for the Championship game.

FreddyFoyle

Mar 12, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Call on Clapperton for little bit of snow spray after chasing down a puck? - really chintzy for a national semi-final.
Call on Pomerleau for good hit?- over reaction by refs because big hit.
Major and ejection to LeBlanc for what looked like a hip check live? - a rush to judgement to call a major for a big hit that didn't injure the player. Maybe call a minor, after you consult with the other officials (Which he didn't).
Missing the Simpson hit? Mystifying. Much more dangerous hit than the LeBlanc hit. At least 2 and 10.
Penalty shot? Are you kidding me! No breakaway there. Penalty, sure ...
Throwing away the whistle in overtime? Unconscionable. Especially when compared to the Boudens interference penalty earlier in the game.
Referees much too involved in the game, except when they decided they wouldn't be. Remarkably inconsistent officiating, and somehow they were nominated by other conference's coaches.

MiamiHockey

Sep 12, 2012
As I expressed in a previous post, I'm shocked that the committee would set up intra-conference Semi-Finals. I'm not sure what their rationale was. If anyone does, please enlighten us.

I don't think it had to do with rankings, because if they were married to rankings Brock would have been #7 or 8.

Yes, we got two thrilling games today, but in my opinion it's unfair to Saskatchewan and St FX to make them go through Alberta / UNB TWICE to get to the Championship Game. I just don't like it.

The only reason I can think that they went for this is TV ratings. A UNB-St FX or Alberta-Sask final would no doubt draw fewer viewers than any permutations involving two conferences. St FX - Alberta should draw solid numbers tomorrow.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
All I can say about the 4 penalty calls against Saskatchewan, is that Alberta scored on the 2 legitimate penalties. However, the parade of calls certainly wore Saskatchewan down and Alberta won in OT after Saskatchewan missed on the first good scoring chance in OT.
The officials had too much impact in both games unfortunately.
The 2 games tomorrow are actually the 2 games that we should have had today with proper scheduling IMO.
Sask deserved a better fate, 2 of those calls were brutal in a National semi-final game, still 4 straight with a 2-0 lead shouldn't happen.

RED ARMY EAST

Feb 14, 2010
Freddy Beach,N.B.Canada
Alberta vs X
I wouldn't sell out on X, my only question is will they have enough gas in the tank?
The physical play and intensity between the 2 semi-final games on Saturday were like night and day.
Couldn't find a big hit in the second game.

rethinking

Mar 4, 2013
Well so much for a wish for better officiating today! If you're going to impose a dreaded Bronze Medal game on these teams couldn't you find some reasonably competent referees?

Reactions: FreddtFoyle

rethinking

Mar 4, 2013
It's pretty bad when you see a goalie get away with high sticks to opposing players twice and the net deliberately knocked off the post by a defenceman without any calls but that was typical of today's Bronze Medal game. Their goal seemed to be to try to keep penalties fairly even somehow, despite the actual infractions.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
My points:

- UNB were assessed penalties because they did the deed. In fact, Simpson should have had 5 minutes for his hit.

- Sask laid back too much and got those little calls which happen when you fiddle around too much.

- I would have liked to see interlocking games in the semi-finals. That's what makes nationals interesting. But USports has different rules in every sport. I had a lengthy post in the Bison thread and won't repeat it here. Basically, the women's does split the two conference teams on opposite sides of the draw.

rethinking

Mar 4, 2013
Hollywood3, Pomerleau should not have been penalized for a great check! No beef about a 2 minute call on LeBlanc but they made it a 5 and a game. Never mind the 2 to Clapperton and the bogus penalty shot call but I agree with you about the missed call on Simpson's hit. That was the officials trying to make up for the previous bad calls against UNB that turned a 3-2 lead into a 4-3 defecit. Then for the rest of the game they made up for the non call on Simpson to St. FX for the rest of the game. It's not quite as simple as saying they were penalized for doing the deed in reality. Clearly, not all the deeds were penalized.
The game was clearly mismanaged by the two officials, leaving both teams with legitimate complaints.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Well so much for a wish for better officiating today! If you're going to impose a dreaded Bronze Medal game on these teams couldn't you find some reasonably competent referees?

Pretty sure one of the refs from yesterday’s UNB game did the game today...and the other one is doing the X/Alberta game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad