Post-Game Talk: 2018 Trade Deadline - How Happy Are You?

Disappointed with our trade deadline bc of assets/opportunity cost spent?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
I am actually glad the Leafs didn't make any further deals. I believe with the team they have they are positioned to compete this upcoming playoffs. I am glad they didn't give up further assets for rentals. And I am happy that we didn't sell the farm for McDonagh. Based on how we played the past couple of games without Matthews and against our main competition, I have no doubt that we can give them both a run in the playoffs. It wont be a cake walk for anyone we play. The addition of Plekanec was a good one and I believe it will only get better as he learns the system and players he is playing with.

I just didn't see a player that was traded that would have helped us out. What is puzzling is that Mike Green refused to waive his no trade to be dealt to Toronto. Same as Gorges did last trade deadline. Why are some players against playing for the Leafs? Makes no sense.

It could still be reputation from playing under Babcock. There were a lot of veterans who had voiced their displeasure.

As for other additions: I guess I'm at the point where I don't understand the willingness to pay a 2nd round pick for Plekanec, but not do anything to improve the blueline. It's not an all or nothing for me either. They acknowledged that there are parts to the team where they should improve and the constant flipflopping of Carrick & Polak seems to say that they aren't sure on who would be in the line-up on any given night. In hindsight of me knowing that management wouldn't improve the blueline, I wouldn't have traded a 2nd round pick for Plekanec.

Reactions: ToneDog

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
It could still be reputation from playing under Babcock. There were a lot of veterans who had voiced their displeasure.

As for other additions: I guess I'm at the point where I don't understand the willingness to pay a 2nd round pick for Plekanec, but not do anything to improve the blueline. It's not an all or nothing for me either. They acknowledged that there are parts to the team where they should improve and the constant flipflopping of Carrick & Polak seems to say that they aren't sure on who would be in the line-up on any given night. In hindsight of me knowing that management wouldn't improve the blueline, I wouldn't have traded a 2nd round pick for Plekanec.

Having a competent 4th line center that should really be playing 3rd line minutes gives the team flexibility for the playoffs to play matchups more effectively. Plekanec is better defensively, offensively, faceoffs and more feisty then Moore will ever be. I'm not at all upset giving up what we did for him. The price was fair, and we will reap benefits from this deal.

Of the dmen traded at the deadline, only McDonagh would have been an upgrade to the Leafs D. For the price he went for, I am happy we didn't get that deal done. Could more have been done, we really don't know considering the prices teams were paying. But giving up a 1st rounder to anyone for a dman not named McDonagh would have been torn apart this morning had it been completed.

Sometimes its the trades that you don't make that make your team better. In our case I think this holds true. Better deals will be available in the offseason and on the draft floor. Glad we held on to our assets until then. They have a plan, and I think for once they should be applauded for doing nothing more then Plekanec.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

why?
we still needed to get centre depth. one has nothing to do w/the other.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
I think that we should try to pry Hjarmalsson out of ARI. Huge upgrade over Polak on the right side and a one year stopgap before Lilj is hopefully ready.

I'm not sure of what the price would be like considering they might be hesitant trading away OEL's buddy.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
On Green not waiving to come to T.O. Who wants a guy that is happy to be out of the playoffs and remain in Detroit? I would give him a pass if he was in Florida or California but not Detroit. Players only happy to earn a sweet paycheck don't win Stanley Cups.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
why?
we still needed to get centre depth. one has nothing to do w/the other.

I would counter that it does.

If you're making a trade to try and improve your team as a whole, why not try to improve both aspects and not just one.

Yes, the Leafs needed centre depth. But they also needed defensive depth as well. And that wasn't addressed.

How do you see that from your side? I guess, I don't see why you wouldn't do both.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON

Actually, from what has been said, they paid slightly more for Plekanec so that Montreal would retain half his salary in order to have room for other moves -- most likely on the defensive side.

According to several reports, the Leafs were one of the teams in on McDonagh. So, it's not like they didn't try for a d-man. I think the prices for what was available were just more than what Lou was willing to pay.

Mr Knies Guy

Jul 5, 2008
I think that we should try to pry Hjarmalsson out of ARI. Huge upgrade over Polak on the right side and a one year stopgap before Lilj is hopefully ready.

I'm not sure of what the price would be like considering they might be hesitant trading away OEL's buddy.
he’s having a pretty rough year, not sure if just a symptom of the Coyotes disease and would hesitate a bit with the cap hit for next year but no doubt he’s a decent dman

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Having a competent 4th line center that should really be playing 3rd line minutes gives the team flexibility for the playoffs to play matchups more effectively. Plekanec is better defensively, offensively, faceoffs and more feisty then Moore will ever be. I'm not at all upset giving up what we did for him. The price was fair, and we will reap benefits from this deal.

Of the dmen traded at the deadline, only McDonagh would have been an upgrade to the Leafs D. For the price he went for, I am happy we didn't get that deal done. Could more have been done, we really don't know considering the prices teams were paying. But giving up a 1st rounder to anyone for a dman not named McDonagh would have been torn apart this morning had it been completed.

Sometimes its the trades that you don't make that make your team better. In our case I think this holds true. Better deals will be available in the offseason and on the draft floor. Glad we held on to our assets until then. They have a plan, and I think for once they should be applauded for doing nothing more then Plekanec.

Yeah that's true, we don't know what trades were made available and what weren't.

And personally, I believe that Cole would have been an upgrade on Polak & Carrick. Not much of one, but still a bit of an upgrade.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Actually, from what has been said, they paid slightly more for Plekanec so that Montreal would retain half his salary in order to have room for other moves -- most likely on the defensive side.

According to several reports, the Leafs were one of the teams in on McDonagh. So, it's not like they didn't try for a d-man. I think the prices for what was available were just more than what Lou was willing to pay.

I'm not disagreeing that the Leafs weren't in on McDonagh because I've heard those reports as well.

But given how the Leafs didn't improve their blueline, do you still trade a 2nd round pick for Plekanec?

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
he’s having a pretty rough year, not sure if just a symptom of the Coyotes disease and would hesitate a bit with the cap hit for next year but no doubt he’s a decent dman
He's had an injury plagued season. Yotes fans are genuinely happy of his play when he does.

$4 is definitely steep considering it would be close to $12M on the right side. But we're shedding over $10M in UFAs with entry level guys ready to fill at least two of the spots.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
You can keep chanting the same thing over and over but it doesn’t mean you’re right... he had an issue with Sullivan and Sullivan wanted Hunwick’s “speed” and “puck moving” because Cole is actually a physical, stay at home who blocks a ton of shots. They play completely different styles. Cole is actually akin to a Polak but can skate decently and doesn’t handle the puck like a stick of dynamite. There’s the difference. He’s also a dynamite pker; not the Babcock opinion on Polak of good pker, but a legit solid pker which would have helped reduce the stress on Hainsey.

Would you like to honestly state Matt Hunwick is a good pker?

Matt Hunwick beat out Ian Cole for a spot.

That is what happened, regardless of whether I chant it or not.

In fact, the Pens ditched Cole even though they already have a 2nd pair that needs sheltering (Maata-Schultz) and even though their 3rd pair is Hunwick-Oleksiak. And even though their 4th pair is Ruhewdel-Corrado.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
Yeah that's true, we don't know what trades were made available and what weren't.

And personally, I believe that Cole would have been an upgrade on Polak & Carrick. Not much of one, but still a bit of an upgrade.
Cole wasn't being traded to Canada. Ottawa said that they were looking for a US deal so they wouldn't have to file immigration paperwork.

The Best Leafs Ever

Feb 28, 2017
there was no team with a #1D thst were sellers in the off-season.

and we coukd have beat that McD deal without hurting our team.

Lol there is Erik Karlsson not just any self proclaimed #1s like McD. We can break the bank and give them assets like Liljegren, 1st and prospects to get Karlsson playing for Toronto.

Just look at what didnt happen that was about to happen and even GMs said they will look for more options coming off season. There are many options including #1s and franchise players this off season. John Tavares, Erik Karlsson and likes of Tanev. Why restrict yourself with just some McD.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Cole wasn't being traded to Canada. Ottawa said that they were looking for a US deal so they wouldn't have to file immigration paperwork.

They must have had immediate interest on him, so that would make sense that he stayed in the U.S. But if they could have got a 2nd round pick for him, you better believe that he would have made his way up to Canada lol

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Of course I would have done the deal.

OK then, I think I would have too. As some others have pointed out though, that package might be a bit light compared to what TB gave up. Or do you really think Lou balked at paying that kind of a price?

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
OK then, I think I would have too. As some others have pointed out though, that package might be a bit light compared to what TB gave up. Or do you really think Lou balked at paying that kind of a price?

I would have gone higher. If it cost us Kappy/Rasanen/1st/2nd I'd have been in.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
be interesting to see how the remainder of the season and playoffs play out. Sad neither JVR or Bozak didn't get moved for assets with some term imo, mostly because I really don't want either here next year. That would be worse than losing them for nothing.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I would counter that it does.

If you're making a trade to try and improve your team as a whole, why not try to improve both aspects and not just one.

Yes, the Leafs needed centre depth. But they also needed defensive depth as well. And that wasn't addressed.

How do you see that from your side? I guess, I don't see why you wouldn't do both.

yes.. because we still needed centre depth help.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
I just didn't see a player that was traded that would have helped us out. What is puzzling is that Mike Green refused to waive his no trade to be dealt to Toronto. Same as Gorges did last trade deadline. Why are some players against playing for the Leafs? Makes no sense.

I'm not sure why, but I'm honestly glad he did.

We probably won't get too far without bolstering the blueline (never say never, but it will take a monster effort from the youngins), but Green really isn't the type we need.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad