Post-Game Talk: 2018 Trade Deadline - How Happy Are You?

Disappointed with our trade deadline bc of assets/opportunity cost spent?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I wouldn’t be worried if I were them either. They’re window is definitely now despite being rather young and they get McD for 2 shots at the cup. I also like Miller more than Name so they upgraded there too imho

Agree 100%.

If things go our way, they can ship him here as a rental next TDL :)

LOL. I like the way you think. Maybe TB misses the playoffs next season so they ship McD to us, they already did this with Boyle so why not? Now we just have to figure out how TB manages to miss the playoffs, it's gonna take more than just Stamkos being out IMO. :laugh:

Gauthier hasn't shown he belongs
Aaltonen, Johnsson and Leivo are all question marks
Nylander hasn't proven he can be a reliable C
And finding 3 quality UFA's may not be as easy as it sounds. Can get expensive too.
Center depth gone

All this is true, I'm gonna worry about it later though. For now, I'll spend my time riding the Leafs bandwagon. :yo:

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
I would bet anything in the world that Hyman and Matthews will be back together when Matthews is back. We will not see a game this season where Matthews and Hyman start on separate lines.

I hope I'm wrong... but I don't think I am.
I'm hoping that Kappy and Willy have a couple of nights like Kadri and Marner did when first put together to make it near impossible to split them up.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Or did want Cole instead of Hunwick -- because a UFA is more movable -- and Pittsburgh simply decided that adding Brassard more than made up for losing Cole.

You were, I believe, in favor of including Kapanen in a deal for McDonagh. Let's say the Leafs did that. Matt Martin is still on the Leafs and very well might have been back in the lineup. Would that mean Matt Martin had beaten Kapanen out for the job?

Ottawa ditched Ian Cole sight unseen. He wasn't exactly a crucial part of the Brassard deal.

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto
I think the more interesting is, and it was so subtle - Lou admitted they were going for McDonagh. when does lou admit anything? i wonder if this means that they'll probably go big game hunting in the off season.

Oh, they are going hunting 100%
Whether they land the buck is a different question

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
We needed an upgrade on Polak / Carrick to compete. It doesn't matter who we match up against, with Polak in they are going to expose us and target that extensively in the PO.

Reactions: Macallan18

The Best Leafs Ever

Feb 28, 2017
IMO this “increased flexibility” is a made up term to justify the price.

Bozak and Plekanec will be UFAs. There is no more or less flexibility there. We could have signed either in the off-season even if we didn’t make the deal.

As for why you’d sign him over Bozak? He will be 36. No thanks.

Because he can actually play C position responsibally. Bozak has had flaws with every winger he has played with and his line has always had negative impact on game regardless the point production. You can check his stats way back with Kessel and it won't look any better. Yes he is younger and that's why he will be looking for 3-4 years long deal at least. Plek is getting older and you can sign him to a Hainsey type of low cost deal. I still think he will be a better option than Bozak even though some might think he is older now.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Because he can actually play C position responsibally. Bozak has had flaws with every winger he has played with and his line has always had negative impact on game regardless the point production. You can check his stats way back with Kessel and it won't look any better. Yes he is younger and that's why he will be looking for 3-4 years long deal at least. Plek is getting older and you can sign him to a Hainsey type of low cost deal. I still think he will be a better option than Bozak even though some might think he is older now.

I like the possibility of signing him to a short term deal a lot better than signing Bozak to a long term deal. I have no idea if he'd be interested but I hope so. Keep in mind though that the poster you're talking to thinks that Bozak is the rough the equivalent of Kadri.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Tampa is my number two team but man do I hate them these days.

Also interesting how an organization that contends one year and loses one year can develop a pretty healthy stable of assets.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
It is possible that the Blues traded Stastny in order to take a run a Tavares. If anything they will free up cap space so we can take a run at a Tavares or a Carlsson. Personally I will be happy to UBER them to the airport after they clear out their lockers (in June :)).
It could be or they just realized that the sum of the parts haven't been generating the desired effect.
We need to look out for this as well.
Every action has a consequence.
So we could move draft picks for guys like Boyle/Plekanec, let UFAs like JVR/Bozak walk and discover in a few years that we are still missing the same pieces and achieve the same ending like the Blues. 1st/2nd round exits. In which case then you have to acquire more depth in the organization. This is always a possibility of the actions we are taking. Chicago needs to acquire more internal depth. Washington stuck at the 2nd round. Same with the Blues. Pittsburgh 7 years before they developed the right depth.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
It could be or they just realized that the sum of the parts haven't been generating the desired effect.
We need to look out for this as well.
Every action has a consequence.
So we could move draft picks for guys like Boyle/Plekanec, let UFAs like JVR/Bozak walk and discover in a few years that we are still missing the same pieces and achieve the same ending like the Blues. 1st/2nd round exits. In which case then you have to acquire more depth in the organization. This is always a possibility of the actions we are taking. Chicago needs to acquire more internal depth. Washington stuck at the 2nd round. Same with the Blues. Pittsburgh 7 years before they developed the right depth.

There's a lot of luck involved too. When a series goes to 7 games, and especially when some are decided in OT, and even more so when game 7 is decided in OT, can you really say that the winning team is "doing things right" or whatever and the losing team "doesn't have enough depth" or whatever else? PIT is lauded for winning the last two cups but they needed double OT to get by Ottawa, if Ottawa beats them NSH probably wins the cup. What if NSH doesn't win and rebuilds 5 years from now, will their methods be criticized because they never won or will they get credit for being a really solid team for a number of years?

I have a ton of respect for some of these teams in the West that have been really good for many years and never won. STL, ANA, SJ, these are all organizations who I wouldn't criticize just because they haven't won the big one. That actually goes for WSH as well. People probably dismiss them now but it wouldn't surprise me at all if they won it this year.

Last edited:

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Personally speaking I was happy to see the Leafs not give up anything major. Yes it sucks that off all teams it was Tampa who traded for McDonagh, however if he was traded to any other team who was not in the Atlantic Division we wouldn't care about missing out on him.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
If we only just got a solid replacement for Polak, that's all we really needed and I think we would be a solid contender but with that hole, I feel kinda let down by Lou. I really do.

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
There's a lot of luck involved too. When a series goes to 7 games, and especially when some are decided in OT, and even more so when game 7 is decided in OT, can you really say that the winning is "doing things right" or whatever and the losing team "doesn't have enough depth" or whatever else? PIT is lauded for winning the last two cups but they needed double OT to get by Ottawa, if Ottawa beats them NSH probably wins the cup. What if NSH doesn't win and rebuilds 5 years from now, will their methods be criticized because they never won or will they get credit for being a really solid team for a number of years?

I have a ton of respect for some of these teams in the West that have been really good for many years and never won. STL, ANA, SJ, these are all organizations who I wouldn't criticize just because they haven't won the big one. That actually goes for WSH as well. People probably dismiss them now but it wouldn't surprise me at all if they won it this year.

Good post. A lot of posters completely ignore the luck factor with the "the better team wins in a 7 game series" stuff but it's not that black and white.

ToMaLe

Sep 24, 2002
Saskatchewan
If we only just got a solid replacement for Polak, that's all we really needed and I think we would be a solid contender but with that hole, I feel kinda let down by Lou. I really do.
dont know if you seen Rosen play this year on the Marlies or not, but I have been very impressed with him. I would play him over Borgman, Polak or Carrick.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
dont know if you seen Rosen play this year on the Marlies or not, but I have been very impressed with him. I would play him over Borgman, Polak or Carrick.

I am down with that. It does not get much worse than Polak and I am really not trying to be mean at all. It's just that he is really bad and it's painful to watch. I have absolutely no problems with our team at all save for that D position. I think Pleks was a great call by Lou but to leave Polak, ouch.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
I would've been ecstatic if they were able to get a top 4 d in here.

Im happy with Plekanec tho.

Team is playing like a legit contender, imo, so I dont mind them going for it this year.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
There's a lot of luck involved too. When a series goes to 7 games, and especially when some are decided in OT, and even more so when game 7 is decided in OT, can you really say that the winning team is "doing things right" or whatever and the losing team "doesn't have enough depth" or whatever else? PIT is lauded for winning the last two cups but they needed double OT to get by Ottawa, if Ottawa beats them NSH probably wins the cup. What if NSH doesn't win and rebuilds 5 years from now, will their methods be criticized because they never won or will they get credit for being a really solid team for a number of years?

Agreed. Even the best team in the league is probably only a 25% favourite to win the cup, at best.

So even if you manage to plug all your holes and you have an amazing team on paper... your chances of winning the cup on any given year isn't that good.

If you have a realistic chance at winning the cup, it's worth it to roll the dice and hope for the best. If you keep doing that year in and year out, you'll win eventually.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Well, I'm glad thats all over with. We basically lost nothing to get Plek so I'm good with that.

Used our own rentals to simplify the process.

Basically we own a playoff spot already.

I am guessing some Marlies could get rewarded with a promotion and a actual game or games played without hurting us.

Johnsson, Holl and Aaltonen to be specific should get a reward call up sooner rather than later.

I was good with moving all of our UFa's but i am not disappointed either way that we did not.

I am not scared of any team in the league in a seven game series but i am not over confident.

We are a very deep offensive team capable of being a better possession team with the addition of Plek.

Still have our defensive holes that will be just fine when the intensity of playoff hockey kicks in.

I like how management kept to the plan of continuing to build and retain assets.

Edit: i really like the impression the organization left on players like Bozak, Jvr and Komarov. Keeping them is a solid compliment and thank you for your hard work. I kind of like that gesture towards some long serving vets. Very respectful!

Last edited:

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008

It's all about establishing a program and not breaking away from it... Teams that turn to trade deadline to add a piece with the thought process "PUT THEM OVER THE HUMP" aren't that good to begin with. Trade deadline should be about improving certain structure weakness of the team that's been going on all season long not upgrading the talent level of the core of the team fishing for another big fish That's how they end up depleting there future vary quickly... It's happen too many times that the team that lands the "BIG FISH" at deadline finds that the "BIG FISH" struggles to fit in with the other "BIG FISH" that have been together for some time swimming in the same pond.

Off season is where you make your moves in upgrading the overall talent of the core of the team if it fits under the team program. That's where contenders are build not on trade deadline as far as I'm concern.

Having said that for SJ and STL. There GM was getting beat in the post season do to settling with James Reimer types when the opposition was running Quick and Crawford in goal... Getting it right with goaltending is the first step in winning the cup and that's where both SJ & STL GM failed there respective teams.

Nothing sinks a contending team faster than poor goaltending. It's the heart of every team. TBL, Tor, BOS, PITTS are all where they are because of there goaltending and a team like STL is falling apart do to it's goaltending even though they're a very good team. Biggest difference for EDM last year to this year is in goal. Talbot was there team MVP not McD last year. It's starts in goal you can't develop a team without goaltending which is why Lou went out and traded the assets for Anderson. The success of that trade is more important than the drafting of Mathews 1st overall becoming a superstar.

Luck does play it's part but good teams in the end create there own luck by being keen with the goaltending position. Being on point with that position is the key success from a failing GM to a successful one.

Reactions: Daisy Jane

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Way too much for a player about to become a UFA. We should get an idea what Doughty is worth once Karlsson is traded this summer.

Idea is to get him and then being able to sign him to an extension, if you have a chance to grab arguably the best defenseman in the league, you jump when you get a chance.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Idea is to get him and then being able to sign him to an extension, if you have a chance to grab arguably the best defenseman in the league, you jump when you get a chance.

a) you'd get him but b) you have no idea if he'd be willing to sign an extension so c) best let it pass and if you are his desired location, you get him for the cost of a contract with no assets.

Re-signing players is typically used as justification for giving up assets. Players who are this close to UFA status, typically will test the waters. They have little to no loyalty to their new team and their old team just tossed them aside. Why not see what's out there and choose your own destiny?

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
It's all about establishing a program and not breaking away from it... Teams that turn to trade deadline to add a piece with the thought process "PUT THEM OVER THE HUMP" aren't that good to begin with. Trade deadline should be about improving certain structure weakness of the team that's been going on all season long not upgrading the talent level of the core of the team fishing for another big fish That's how they end up depleting there future vary quickly... It's happen too many times that the team that lands the "BIG FISH" at deadline finds that the "BIG FISH" struggles to fit in with the other "BIG FISH" that have been together for some time swimming in the same pond.

Off season is where you make your moves in upgrading the overall talent of the core of the team if it fits under the team program. That's where contenders are build not on trade deadline as far as I'm concern.

Having said that for SJ and STL. There GM was getting beat in the post season do to settling with James Reimer types when the opposition was running Quick and Crawford in goal... Getting it right with goaltending is the first step in winning the cup and that's where both SJ & STL GM failed there respective teams.

Nothing sinks a contending team faster than poor goaltending. It's the heart of every team. TBL, Tor, BOS, PITTS are all where they are because of there goaltending and a team like STL is falling apart do to it's goaltending even though they're a very good team. Biggest difference for EDM last year to this year is in goal. Talbot was there team MVP not McD last year. It's starts in goal you can't develop a team without goaltending which is why Lou went out and traded the assets for Anderson. The success of that trade is more important than the drafting of Mathews 1st overall becoming a superstar.

Luck does play it's part but good teams in the end create there own luck by being keen with the goaltending position. Being on point with that position is the key success from a failing GM to a successful one.

You and I think a lot alike.

I wouldn't say that teams adding a piece at the TDL aren't necessarily that good (TB is good) but on the whole, I believe rentals are overrated and if the Leafs were told that they couldn't sign a single rental for the next 10 years, that probably wouldn't hurt us at all.

I also wouldn't necessarily say that the Andersen trade was more important than drafting Matthews as I think franchise centres are harder to find than goalies. That said, it is close, it is easier to win without a franchise centre than without a solid #1 goalie and I would also put the hiring of Babcock right up there in terms of importance, as he's the guy who's pulling it all together and erasing the horrible past.

I remember posting in the off-season that while everyone is justifiably thrilled about Matthews winning the Calder and talking about all our other awesome rookies etc., the single thing I was most thrilled about last season was that Andersen showed himself to be a capable #1 goalie. If that didn't happen, we'd be back to square one in terms of goaltending and until we found someone, we wouldn't be going anywhere. Beyond helping us win games, having him was huge for the development of our young players as time and time again, their mistakes didn't end up in the net shaking their confidence. It's hard to quantify the value of that but I'm sure it was huge. People talk about "building around" players and in our case, that player is Matthews. I've always thought the term was nonsense, teams aren't built "around" anyone, they're just built but there's no question that Andersen is our rock, he's the foundation that everything else sits on top of and the fact that he is so solid makes everything else possible.

It's possible to win the cup without top notch goaltending but it's rare for a team to do so and the standings as of today show that good goaltending is one thing the top teams have in common. I've always said that it's almost impossible to overstate how important it is to have good goaltending. Well we have it and if we're a contender, then Andersen is the main reason why.

And here's a shout out to McBackup. Not sure why people were ever saying we need to find a better backup, he's been great for us ever since his arrival.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

They would jump at Doughty but you can't empty the farm. Now if you have an abundance of prospects (as the Lightning appear to have) you can overpay. If not, I would wait to sign one of the big fish 2019 UFA dmen , in which case it only costs me cap space.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad