Series Discussion: 2018 Stanley Cup Final: Washington Capitals vs Vegas Golden Knights

Who wins?

• Total voters

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
So I'm trying very hard not to make the obvious mistake of overlooking Vegas' replacement roster, or give the Caps the old bad juju, but my head and my heart tell me Washington is about to boat race them.

I think the only way this is a long series is if MAF outright steals two games, which is possible.

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
A variable which I had never considered (because, obviously, for the Capitals it has been irrelevant) is the away barn during Cup finals.

Up till now, Caps have been playing in rinks they know well. They are familiar with the lighting, the boards, the atmosphere, the quality of the ice itself - the whole experience of that particular place.

Not so for a Western Conference rink, especially rink of a brand-new team.

During regular season Ovie mentioned the strangeness of playing a game in Las Vegas. And certainly the game which the Capitals played didn’t go well at all. We got boatraced, right from opening drop.

Not that the reg-season loss has predictive power, just to point out the Capitals have essentially zero history/familiarity with that building.

And the same is actually not true for Knights. Many of those players have played against the Caps for years. They know our barn well, especially Schmidt, Fleury, Neal, Engeland, Reaves, Karlsson, Marchessault, even Eakin, to an extent (though most of his NHL experience has been in Western Conference).

So maybe the unfamiliar is an inherent advantage for Vegas.

Plus, the Caps just generally suck ass on the West Coast, historically.

Would be damn glorious to steal one of the first two games on the road.

Last edited:

pocketrockets

Dec 12, 2010
Live in Dallas hoping to go to either game 4 in Washington or game 5 in Vegas but the tickets are insane in both cities. Hoping more tickets might come available at face value. If any season ticket holders here might be able to help please send me a PM

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
It is our time. I just know it. I can't explain why and I almost sent a message to @txpd before the playoffs started so I had someone to call me on my bull**** but I have just had this feeling since before the playoffs that this is the right team at the right time. Ovechkin will not be denied.

No arguments from me. I get it. I think this is a culmination of the past 2yrs losses...to build them up for this. Vegas is the one team I fretted, because their “story” matches ours. Both teams deserve it.

“there can only be one”

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
At this point, there's not a whole lot to say in difference to rosters. I think both teams are really good, obviously, and they are the last men standing. At this point, it may be a simple 'who wants it more' sort of thing, you know, the psychology of it all.

And I have to say, in looking at that, I heavily favor the Capitals.

Years, upon years of suppressed and unsuppressed emotions. Demons built up, especially in those long time Cap players. Frustration.

And yet, through that war of loss, resilience. Added to that, unfettered determination and a will so strong, after knowing what the loss felt like, years of it, that this time they will NOT stand for it. They will not be beaten, and they will overcome. They are closer, closer than the Vegas Knights can possibly imagine. A team, new to hockey, some players on that team tasting playoffs for the first time, some not, some seasoned vets. But, as a team, history, cycles, they lack that level of necessity. They, not as individuals, but as a collective, do not have the brandings that have come with each post season exit.

The Vegas fans don't either. The Caps are playing for DC, whom hold to a lesser extent, a sort of vicarious wound, one which has been opened and closed many times, thick scar tissue forming. Vegas does not have these. They, though, did have that terrible shooting occur. It's a social, community wound. But it ain't about hockey and this is hockey.

Caps in 6.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
So I'm trying very hard not to make the obvious mistake of overlooking Vegas' replacement roster, or give the Caps the old bad juju, but my head and my heart tell me Washington is about to boat race them.

I think the only way this is a long series is if MAF outright steals two games, which is possible.

I have a similar feeling. No disrespect to Vegas but the Caps are about to stomp a mudhole.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
NHL Tonight just said Vegas averages almost 40 hits per game! Is that real, or are those bull**** hits?
Hits are typically recorded by the in house statistician, they always favor the home teams, my guess is the VGK statistician is a bit loosey goosey with it.

"A brief look at the application and history of the statistic reveal that there is a lot of subjectivity to the statistic. Peruse the game reports from NHL games, and you will be amazed at the large swings in numbers of hits from arena to arena. Significantly, there is a significant bias toward the home team when it comes to the number of hits recorded. Last season, only nine of the thirty teams registered more hits on the road than at home. Given that hit frequency is directly proportonal to the opponent's possession of the puck, you would expect that precisely the reverse would apply. In fact, it was the subjective nature of the statistic that led the NHL to stop tracking the number for part of the 2002-2003 season, resuming only after the NHLPA protested that some of its members had incentive clauses tied to the number."

To Hit or Not to Hit?

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Alex K

Apr 20, 2016
Earth
It looks like Ovi desided to keep the trophy forever.
Screenshot_20180525_141700.jpg

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Anyone else see the Backstrom postgame lockerroom interview? At one point, when he wiped his mouth or nose, you could see his hand for a second. Definitely looked like swollen and uncomfortable index finger.

View attachment 122431

Paging @txpd @txmd what the hell is that thing! And where is the tip... did he get Sid'ed?

Ok so priority one is solving MAF who is zoning. I haven't watch the finals in recent years. Will there be lots of calls early in the series, and then predictably fizzle to 1 per team in game 7? My thinking, we may have to beat him via the PP early in the series when the opportunities arise. Our PP had been floundering a bit.

Otherwise, we may need to screen crowd run and try for deflections. Pound defensemen cough Nate into quick turnovers and catch MAF off guard.

Last edited:
Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Kuz

May 11, 2015
Paging @txpd @txmd what the hell is that thing! And where is the tip... did he get Sid'ed?

Ok so priority one is solving MAF who is zoning. I haven't watch the finals in recent years. Will there be lots of calls early in the series, and then predictably fizzle to 1 per team in game 7? My thinking, we may have to beat him via the PP early in the series when the opportunities arise. Our PP had been floundering a bit.

Otherwise, we may need to screen crowd run and try for deflections. Pound defensemen cough Nate into quick turnovers and catch MAF off guard.

Still the second best PP this playoff with 28,8%, but they have been one of the best PK teams with 82,5%. Only Pens better of the teams that went further than the 1st round. Caps PK has been weak with 75,4%, but with Vegas only having a 17,6% on the PP the Caps on paper has the advantage on special teams has they have vs most teams.

Reactions: RandyHolt

Empty Goal Net

I don't smell disgusting, musky, and rancid
Feb 13, 2010
Live in Dallas hoping to go to either game 4 in Washington or game 5 in Vegas but the tickets are insane in both cities. Hoping more tickets might come available at face value. If any season ticket holders here might be able to help please send me a PM

I'm guessing public sale will begin Tuesday night. STHs get access during the day on Tuesday. No idea about pricing, but I would expect prices to moderate a bit once the additional seats go on the market.

badi

Jan 21, 2008
Ovechkin in Vegas makes me a bit nervous. Hopefully he stays 100 on the ice and leaves the rest for an extended celebration party in the off-season.

Wilson should not fight Reaves or Engelland. He's too valuable.

No doubt Reaves will jump Wilson at the first time is team will be trailing

What will Wilson do ?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad