Series Discussion: 2018 Stanley Cup Final: Washington Capitals vs Vegas Golden Knights

Who wins?

• Total voters

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
The key to success is to test the mental fortitude of VGK. They're a young team, they've experience 0 tribulation in the post season, I want to see how they respond when things aren't going their way. The reason these Caps are in the SCF and not the 2010, 2016, 2017, etc. is that ability to over come adversity. Down 0-2 in round 1? No panic. Against our foes the Pens? No panic. Game 7 of the ECF? No panic. I haven't had the sense this team has clinched their sticks a little tighter even once, that used to be the hallmark of this club.

Let's see what VGK does when things and calls aren't working out for them, will the bend or will they break?

OviTaughtMe

Jun 17, 2013
PG County
Listen, I get Vegas has to be good to have made it this far. But looking at that roster, I’m sorry. I’m not scared at all. Outside of Fleury of course.

I think we run this guys out in 5. I think the West was weak this year.

JMUcapsfan07

Jan 29, 2010
NoVA
I find it incredibly difficult to predict what will happen in these series before they start. Coming into this past series, I expected Tampa to be flying all over the ice and have a huge advantage in speed but the Caps often looked quite a bit faster, in my opinion. I'm just not quite sure what to expect besides the fact that Fleury has been on fire and goals will most likely not come easy.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Listen, I get Vegas has to be good to have made it this far. But looking at that roster, I’m sorry. I’m not scared at all. Outside of Fleury of course.

I do think our offense and defense are a little better than theirs but they have the edge in goal right now, which can go a long way in winning a series.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Early on against the Kings I heard a commentator say trying to carry the puck thru the neutral zone will not work against Vegas, you HAVE to be willing to dump it and do the work to get it back, despite all the new NHL stuff about not giving up possession.

I really started watching Knights games with an eye on watching this and it seems like a legit observation. The 1st line of Karlsson/Marchesault seem especially adept at stealing the puck in NZ and turning it into quick offense or 2 on 1's. The Knights really do own the middle of the ice.

I noticed that if a team could establish possession they could get a decent chance (MAF was just saving everything thrown at him).

I don't know what plan the coaches have but I hope it is a great one.

CapsDC

May 2, 2018

What scares me is just that they're really solid & deep, due to how the expansion draft went down. And MAF. He seems like one of those goalies who's virtually unbeatable when he's on a heater. They have to figure out a way to get to him.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Vegas feasts on turnovers. Watch Game 6 against the Sharks. They are stingy on defense and opportunistic on offense. The Caps ability (or inability) to control the neutral zone will determine this series. I see a lot of 2016 and 2017 Pittsburgh with less firepower when I watch Vegas.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland

Respectfully, you are crazy. They didn't just beat teams, they cut through them like a hot knife through butter.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Would just like to point out Alzner had a chance to be traded to Vegas and he refused (screwing us over) and then went to MTL and took a shot at the Caps for being a bad franchise

Now both teams he could of played for are in the Cup

Nice going!
:huh:This is the first I've heard of any of this. Never heard Alzner bad mouth the Caps and never heard of the trade possibility to Vegas. Do you have a link for any of this?

Reactions: Drakon

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
Djoos will need to be better as well.

You really have to figure that Bowey has been uncoachable for things to continue with Djoos as they are. I like Djoos a lot, but his size and inexperience were worrisome enough without him having to adapt to playing his weak side.

With Orpik playing well, it's a shame he doesn't have a more fitting partner that needs less sheltering. It really surprises me that they'd cycle through problematic lefty options in that RD spot with all the time they've had to work on Bowey's game. He needed to get stronger and add some snarl -- things they could mostly fix in the weight room in a few weeks with a guy his size. The rest was just tentative play and inexperience, which they could have worked on down the stretch instead of trying to force square pegs into round holes.

Djoos struggling on the right has to be hard on him, is definitely handcuffing his natural gifts, and isn't doing his development any favors. And him getting muscled off every puck isn't doing us any favors, either.

We could use Bowey's right shot and extra 30 pounds right about now. Its a shame they punted on him early and that he apparently didn't work hard enough to up his game and compete for that spot.

Last edited:

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
Anyone else see the Backstrom postgame lockerroom interview? At one point, when he wiped his mouth or nose, you could see his hand for a second. Definitely looked like swollen and uncomfortable index finger.

1F463841-35CC-4B94-8B20-8632A52BBD2D.jpeg

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Thinking about this match-up more, I find it a bit hard to believe that a defense of Schmidt, McNabb, Theodore, Miller, Sbisa & Engelland will be the ones to deny this team. It's asking for it perhaps and Fleury will also have something to say about that but it's not a tremendous group on paper. Paper doesn't matter at this point but it is a group a little suspect in terms of overall depth and speed (at least when it comes to McNabb, Sbisa & Engelland). Vegas compensates for that by backchecking with a purpose but there should be opportunities for sustained pressure chances if they're able to control the flow of the game. The Caps have feasted on transition pretty often but I'm not sure Vegas will break down that easy structurally. It would be great but they may have to do more work with sustained forechecking pressure like some of the better efforts the Sharks had. Vegas starting to try to do too much at home would be a good sign and, of course, the Caps getting out to a lead could help spur that on.

The Caps will need their middle six going and for the fourth-line to put in good work getting chunks of Schmidt, Theodore & Miller IMO. Slow those guys down, make them wear it and their blueline becomes far less dynamic. Of course, the Caps will need their third pair to be better in underlying play as well and to prove overall that they're able to get the upper hand structurally. The Caps should have a slight edge on defense and up the middle but it's on them to prove it in practice by continuing to attack responsibly, be disciplined and to continue to play as though it's a battle of wills. Do that and they'll be in good spots to have success.

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
Vegas announced tix go on sale Friday.

When do Caps individual tix go on sale? Resell tix will be ridiculous - so id wait hours and hours if needed to get tickets from the team or box office or whatever

Anyone know?

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
It'll be a grindfest, a real coaching/goaltending duel. If Trotz and Holtby can stay equal to Gallant and Fleury, I would hope/think that the team with more talent coursing through it should reign supreme. Truly believe that if Fleury hadn't relocated his magic horseshoe, this story is already over for them. Fact is, though, he's part of the team too, and knows how to win as well as anyone. He could be writing the second half of his own impressive story, and those wheels might not fall off.

It's up to Holtby not to saddle himself with too much pressure, while ultimately still keeping pace.

On the coaching end, from what I've seen of Vegas they like to frustrate and counter-punch, they get their way by having (mostly) good skaters who hustle relentlessly. That sucks, but I also think that Trotz is pretty uniquely suited to coaching into that kind of game. Outside of some systems peculiarities I don't think they coach drastically different games, so if the coaching can negate each other and it comes to individuals and execution, they've got enough talent to pull through.

I think it helps Vegas' cause that most players around the league seem to have "but I used to practice against this guy, he should suck, what's wrong here?" moments that can put them off their games. I think it helps Washington's cause that the guy they gave up was obviously great, and whose game should have their respect right away (not that you should outright disrespect/fail to acknowledge anyone in a film session for a friggin' Cup Finals).

idle thought, who benefits more from the fact that Schmidt is their 1D, based on the practice reps they used to take together? An improving Schmidt is nothing to shake a stick at, but is it more likely that a guy like Kuznetsov/Backstrom has figured out how to play Schmidt, or vice versa?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad