Series Discussion: 2018 Stanley Cup Final: Washington Capitals vs Vegas Golden Knights

Who wins?

• Total voters

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I just heard Greenberg on CrashingtheNet say the Knights shouldn't give the Caps any trouble. Have people not been watching the playoffs, especially people that get paid to talk about hockey???

People are delusional if they think the way Greenberg does.

Vegas is favored in this series for a reason.

StrikingDistance

Buford T. Justice
Mar 19, 2015
DC
We're going to approach them like we did Tampa. Slow them down in the middle, be physical, and be offensively opportunistic. We might have played more games, but we're more battle tested and overcome a lot of adversity. I also think we're the hungrier team with a lot of confidence. The Golden Nuggets lose G1 at home and it might throw them off kilter. Given MAF's play lately, we'll have to get some tip-ins and dirty goals and Holtbeast must continue.

If none of the above works, they must channel this inspirational speech from Eric Stratton:

We gotta take these bastards. Now we could do it with conventional weapons, but that could take years and cost millions of lives. No, I think we have to go all out. I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
Thinking about this match-up more, I find it a bit hard to believe that a defense of Schmidt, McNabb, Theodore, Miller, Sbisa & Engelland will be the ones to deny this team. It's asking for it perhaps and Fleury will also have something to say about that but it's not a tremendous group on paper. Paper doesn't matter at this point but it is a group a little suspect in terms of overall depth and speed (at least when it comes to McNabb, Sbisa & Engelland). Vegas compensates for that by backchecking with a purpose but there should be opportunities for sustained pressure chances if they're able to control the flow of the game. The Caps have feasted on transition pretty often but I'm not sure Vegas will break down that easy structurally. It would be great but they may have to do more work with sustained forechecking pressure like some of the better efforts the Sharks had. Vegas starting to try to do too much at home would be a good sign and, of course, the Caps getting out to a lead could help spur that on.

The Caps will need their middle six going and for the fourth-line to put in good work getting chunks of Schmidt, Theodore & Miller IMO. Slow those guys down, make them wear it and their blueline becomes far less dynamic. Of course, the Caps will need their third pair to be better in underlying play as well and to prove overall that they're able to get the upper hand structurally. The Caps should have a slight edge on defense and up the middle but it's on them to prove it in practice by continuing to attack responsibly, be disciplined and to continue to play as though it's a battle of wills. Do that and they'll be in good spots to have success.

It's not their defense that is a concern, however their speed and transition game. I don't count regular season games versus regular season games much, but they do it well at home. It's going to be a fun time.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

DCRedhawk21

May 7, 2011
Northern Virginia
We're going to approach them like we did Tampa. Slow them down in the middle, be physical, and be offensively opportunistic. We might have played more games, but we're more battle tested and overcome a lot of adversity. I also think we're the hungrier team with a lot of confidence. The Golden Nuggets lose G1 at home and it might throw them off kilter. Given MAF's play lately, we'll have to get some tip-ins and dirty goals and Holtbeast must continue.

If none of the above works, they must channel this inspirational speech from Eric Stratton:

We gotta take these bastards. Now we could do it with conventional weapons, but that could take years and cost millions of lives. No, I think we have to go all out. I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part.

And we're just the guys to do it. LFG Caps.

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
Early on against the Kings I heard a commentator say trying to carry the puck thru the neutral zone will not work against Vegas, you HAVE to be willing to dump it and do the work to get it back, despite all the new NHL stuff about not giving up possession.

I really started watching Knights games with an eye on watching this and it seems like a legit observation. The 1st line of Karlsson/Marchesault seem especially adept at stealing the puck in NZ and turning it into quick offense or 2 on 1's. The Knights really do own the middle of the ice.

I noticed that if a team could establish possession they could get a decent chance (MAF was just saving everything thrown at him).

I don't know what plan the coaches have but I hope it is a great one.
Good insight and observations. Despite the final score in the series, I think the Kings may have played the Knights toughest of all.

I am sure Caps coaches will pick apart the video of that series, as well as the other two, to see what worked and what did not. Vegas definitely has my respect. Honestly, I see them as the favorites against us. But I am totally OK with that.

But as to the other point, about testing their mental resolve, I am not as sure they have weakness there. They actually seem to play without any fear at all. Who knows, maybe they have not been sufficiently tested. Hopefully we can do that. We’ll see.

Cautiously optimistic is where I am, mostly because this year’s Capitals team seems quite special in its own right.

Portable Mink

Sep 12, 2005
Melbourne, Australia
I think that the Caps need to learn from what the Jets did.
They tried to forecheck them heavily and got beaten going back the other way.

We keep the speed on all 4 lines and play the counter puncher. Especially on the road in games 1 and 2. I think the first 10 minutes of game 1 we might be able to sneak a lead. That would be huge huge huge. Taking game 1 creates pressure as we know, and Tampa then over corrected in game 2 and we got that as well.

We get any lead in game 1. Force them to beat us, dont give them anything for free. These playoffs have been ALL about the neutral zone. With size on our side, we can handle the battle better than them over the long haul. Dig in boys.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
this 9 day break can't help the Knights, we should be able to jump on them early, let's just hope Fluery will be affected to.

Yep, here's hoping the looong layoff brings back the Fluery that inspired these memes:

2zqvfpe.jpg

fleury+beachball.gif

tumblr_mmhexmBh9W1sq1z39o1_500.gif

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
Those .gifs bring back memories of that Penguins/Flyers series that had the legendary Fleury vs. Bryzgalov duel. Crazy to think that Fleury is now regarded so highly in the hockey world when 5 years ago he was pretty much written off in Pittsburgh. I can't think of many other goalies whose reputations have gone from so bad to so great like his has.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

Jun 15, 2007
I'm gonna put it out there:

Caps win handily. In 5.

Vegas hasn't faced any adversity at all these playoffs. They're a good team but they've somehow just waltzed through the entire playoffs. Caps are gonna come out strong, sucker punch them, and they'll have no idea how to respond.

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
I just heard Greenberg on CrashingtheNet say the Knights shouldn't give the Caps any trouble. Have people not been watching the playoffs, especially people that get paid to talk about hockey???

People are delusional if they think the way Greenberg does.

Vegas is favored in this series for a reason.

Greenberg lost all credibility a long time ago. He is a total dumpster fire.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Good insight and observations. Despite the final score in the series, I think the Kings may have played the Knights toughest of all.

I am sure Caps coaches will pick apart the video of that series, as well as the other two, to see what worked and what did not. Vegas definitely has my respect. Honestly, I see them as the favorites against us. But I am totally OK with that.

But as to the other point, about testing their mental resolve, I am not as sure they have weakness there. They actually seem to play without any fear at all. Who knows, maybe they have not been sufficiently tested. Hopefully we can do that. We’ll see.

Cautiously optimistic is where I am, mostly because this year’s Capitals team seems quite special in its own right.

Agreed. Even though it’s total crap, Gallant has played the “Those other teams didn’t want us. We’ll show them!” narrative to a tee and built a group based on avenging a wrong. Their whole identity is adversity. It’s why I say he’s one of the 2 biggest challenges the Caps face.

Last edited:

AussieCapsFan

Apr 30, 2017
Gold Coast
The main thing is that I'd be surprised if Vegas quit like PIT & TBL did. We'll see. Those teams were very skilled and the Caps deserve all kinds of credit for that frustration level building up for them but Vegas seems to have a similar relentlessness. Early on I'll be looking for the Caps defense exiting more cleanly on whole. The second and third pairs will likely need to do a better job of it if the Caps are going to fast enough.

Vegas have already accomplished WAY WAY more than anybody (perhaps outside of themselves) expected them to. Because of this they appear to play without displaying any kind of nervousness or pressure, etc. (as mentioned just a minute ago by calicapsfan :) I think the only time I've seen them look out of sorts and appear to be down on themselves was that first game against Winnipeg when they were beaten 4-2. This cannot be over stated enough. I think it's huge in terms of mindset and discipline etc during a game.

I think for the Caps it will be crucial to get out there and score first in game 1, ideally to actually put in three or more goals on Fleury in game 1 and win that game. If Vegas come out slow because they've been resting, take advantage of that and crush them. I really believe
the only way to beat Vegas is to get into Fleury's head and to put the team back on their heels and make them start doubting themselves.
Vegas isn't a team you want to lose to in those first couple of games because they seem to just feed off every victory. They need to be made to feel uncomfortable and nervous.

And it probably goes without saying that Reaves and Wilson are going to end up in a fight.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
I think the most interesting thing about the Knights is that, at least in the Winnipeg series, almost every game The Jet's had an insane expected goals for from what they actually achieved. This tells me they generated a lot of opportunities and just couldn't cash in.

I think this series comes down to how the Knights handle an old horror story monster, think Jason, who just keeps coming no matter what's thrown at them because so far that's exactly what the Capitals have been this postseason.

HandsomeTom43

May 2, 2018
If we split in Vegas, we will win the series, but I think it'll go the full 7 unfortunately for us. If we can shut down that top line, I think that will be half the battle. I don't think their depth scoring will show up too much. Their defense is full of a bunch of 3/4s except for Schmidt. It really does boil down to goaltending. If Holtby averages around 2 goals per game we will win.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad