WJC: 2018 Russia Roster Talk

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Toropchenko seemed impressive at the U18 World Championships. He was one of Russia's best scoring threats.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
I'm certain by WJC these projected lineups will be very different.

There are always new players that break through right before the tournament.

Hopefully, we get some more talented Ds to break out.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
If we look at it, there isn't a lot of tragedy with the D, at least at this point. There are a lot of candidates who looked good in Sochi tournament, although I must admit not too much of the guys that could be the leaders of the team.

But again, it's not like without Sergachev we wouldn't have anyone to select from: Dronov, Y. Zaitsev, Makeyev, D. Zaitsev, Karpukhin, Alexeyev, Kurashov, Afanasyev, Minulin, Samorukov... possibly some dark horses like Syomin or even Yelizarov. Hopefully after the "natural selection" of the CAN/RUS Series and other tournaments, quantity will turn into some quality.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
If we look at it, there isn't a lot of tragedy with the D, at least at this point. There are a lot of candidates who looked good in Sochi tournament, although I must admit not too much of the guys that could be the leaders of the team.

But again, it's not like without Sergachev we wouldn't have anyone to select from: Dronov, Y. Zaitsev, Makeyev, D. Zaitsev, Karpukhin, Alexeyev, Kurashov, Afanasyev, Minulin, Samorukov... possibly some dark horses like Syomin or even Yelizarov. Hopefully after the "natural selection" of the CAN/RUS Series and other tournaments, quantity will turn into some quality.

I criticized Samorukov at the U18 for his careless play, but he is really talented. He has an instinctive flow to his game when he pays attention. He is a big boy, and I wouldn't be surprised if he surpassed Sergachev down the road.

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
Bumping this badboy up! Whats the chances Kara makes the squad...? He had a good start in the VHL and has now played a couple games on a good KHL team.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Bumping this badboy up! Whats the chances Kara makes the squad...? He had a good start in the VHL and has now played a couple games on a good KHL team.

I think nobody knows anything about anybody's chances right now. There will be another superseries Russia vs CHL and 4 Nations Tournament in November, and then it'll be easier to say. This year Russian U20 team doesn't have obvious leaders like Kaprizov, Vorobyov and Polunin were the last year. Even Svechnikov will have to prove he deserves to play, because Bragin doesn't like underagers.

Reactions: bobermay

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
It looks more and more likely that Sergachev is staying in NHL and won't be available for WJC.

I think it's a good thing. He needs to learn at highest level.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
@Caser and @Bear12Good

What are your thoughts on Kara making the WJHC squad? What are his chances?

What is your prediction at the roster?
Just wait. Injuries happen. Svechnikov is a big question mark now. Other than that Kara needs to make the most of his chances right here and now with the injuries on the big team. Got some time during a blowout lately. Looked good. He has to take it step by step and earn the trust. He is no Kaprizov though. That much is clear.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
The 98ers got ruined by their NA love. A sad picture of a once promising birth year.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
@Caser and @Bear12Good

What are your thoughts on Kara making the WJHC squad? What are his chances?

What is your prediction at the roster?

I recently made a prediction in the Russian part of the boards, but I can say I didn't put too much of thinking effort into this one, as the CAN/RUS Series is almost in two weeks anyway.

Kostin(if STL will let him go)-Rubtsov-Sokolov
Altybarmakyan-Maltsev-Abramov
Kosorenkov-Shvyryov-Sholokhov
Kara-Ivanov-Polodyan

Dronov-Makeyev
Zaitsev-Zaitsev
Alexeyev-Karpukhin
Syomin-Samorukov

Sukhachyov
Ustimenko
Melnichuk

I like Kara's chances, as he got that valuable two-way component in his game and that is something that is a bit lacking this year.

Last edited:

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
I recently made a prediction in the Russian part of the boards, but I can say I didn't put too much of thinking effort into this one, as the CAN/RUS Series is almost in two weeks anyway.

Altbrmn-Maltsev-Abramov
Kara-Ivanov-Polodyan

Dronov-Makeyev
Zaitsev-Zaitsev
Alexeyev-Karpukhin
Syomin-Samorukov

Sukhachyov
Ustimenko
Melnichuk

I like Kara's chances, as he got that valuable two-way component in his game and that is something that is a bit lacking this year.
Thanks for the response!

Harbessix

Jun 2, 2010
Halifax, NS
Not seeing a lot regarding chekhovich being predicted to be on the roster. Any particular reason? Had outstanding numbers at the U18 this year

MeafAttack

Dec 8, 2013
In the Meaf
Just wait. Injuries happen. Svechnikov is a big question mark now. Other than that Kara needs to make the most of his chances right here and now with the injuries on the big team. Got some time during a blowout lately. Looked good. He has to take it step by step and earn the trust. He is no Kaprizov though. That much is clear.

His injury was updated as being surgery to repair a tendon in his pointing finger vice a broken bone in his hand and the thinking is his recovery time may be less.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
His injury was updated as being surgery to repair a tendon in his pointing finger vice a broken bone in his hand and the thinking is his recovery time may be less.
Svechnikov might be ready for WJC. Kara on the other hand is making the least out of his chances. Fairly invisible for the 3rd straight game of the series.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011

Altybarmakyan-Maltsev-Abramov
Kara-Ivanov-Polodyan

Dronov-Makeyev
Zaitsev-Zaitsev
Alexeyev-Karpukhin
Syomin-Samorukov

Sukhachyov
Ustimenko
Melnichuk

After 3 games of Canada Russia Series:

Berdin Melnichuk

Samorukov obviously higher than the bottom pairing.

Is Dronov going to recover till WJC?

Kara is not even 4th line material.

Patera

Nov 16, 2015

The junior Russian national team's preliminary roster for the 2018 World Championship

2017-11-02-Trenirovka_sbornoy_Rossii_U20-6165.jpg

The Russian junior national team head coach Valery Bragin has named his preliminary roster for the upcoming 2018 World Junior Championship in the USA.
Goalkeepers: Ivan Konovalov (Lokomotiv), Alexei Melnichuk (SKA-Neva), Vladislav Sukhachyov (Chelmet).
Defensemen: Dmitry Alexeev, Alexander Shepelev (both Chelmet), Grigory Dronov (Metallurg Magnitogorsk), Anatoly Elizarov (Torpedo Nizhny Novgorod), Yegor Zaitsev (Dynamo Moscow), Nikita Makeev (CSKA Moscow), Artyom Maltsev (HC Sochi), Alexander Kalinin (Lokomotiv), Nikolai Knyzhov, Vladislav Syomin (both SKA-Neva).
Forwards: Andrei Altybarmakyan, Mikhail Maltsev, Alexei Polodyan (all SKA-Neva), Danil Veryaev (Torpedo Nizhny Novgorod), Grigory Ivanov, Artur Kayumov, Ivan Romanov (all Lokomotiv), Artyom Manukyan (Avangard Omsk), Danila Moiseev (Russkie Vityazi Chekhov), Vitaly Kravtsov, Marsel Sholokhov (both Traktor Chelyabinsk), Maxim Rasseykin (Avtomobilist), Damir Rakhimullin (Lada), Maxim Tsyplakov (Spartak Moscow), Pavel Shen (Ugra Khanty-Mansiysk).

No Svechnikov. What a huge disappointment.

Edit: Obviosly Russia will name the NA players later.

Last edited:

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
No Svechnikov... but no NA players named yet all. He would fit in that category so his name being omitted doesn't actually mean anything at the moment.

Reactions: JiggsNY

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad