GDT: 2018 Playoffs and Bracket Challenge

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
It's a shame we blow against California teams and played our way out of a playoff position, because we've matched up well against Nashville and Winnipeg and I would have liked our chances against them in the playoffs.

Maybe next year

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Sharks are playing Flames hockey tonight. Outshooting Vegas 32-15 and are down 3-1

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
Can anyone explain to me why Flames fans seem to hate the Jets so much. It doesn't seem to me like there is much of a rivalry, and they haven't met in the playoffs since the 80s (I wasn't alive so I don't know how big it was back then). But even in spite of meeting in the playoffs in the 80s most of the Flames fans I know are born in the early to mid 90s and still hate the Jets.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Can anyone explain to me why Flames fans seem to hate the Jets so much. It doesn't seem to me like there is much of a rivalry, and they haven't met in the playoffs since the 80s (I wasn't alive so I don't know how big it was back then). But even in spite of meeting in the playoffs in the 80s most of the Flames fans I know are born in the early to mid 90s and still hate the Jets.
Jets were my second most hated team in the 80s right after the Oilers. Mind you I'm old enough to remember those games too.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Jets are my favourite Canadian team, other than the Flames of course.
Me too. Exciting to watch, and they haven't done anything to make me hate them. There are two Canadian teams that I wouldn't mind breaking the Canadian Cup drought other than the Flames, and those are the Sens and the Jets. Mostly because I don't believe that Jets and Sens fans would be as insufferable in those circumstances as other fanbases might be. And because then if those other teams do win one, they won't be able to make as big a deal of it.

That said, Melnyk is starting to change my mind regarding the Sens.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
As LB pointed out, before the Jets moved they were the second biggest rival for the Flames. Also for me personally many Jets fans became Flames/Oilers/Canucks... etc fans when the team left, but when they returned many (not all, but many) completely deserted these teams despite claiming to being die hard fans. So I hate seeing those ungrateful fans getting any joy out of the Jets.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
Me too. Exciting to watch, and they haven't done anything to make me hate them. There are two Canadian teams that I wouldn't mind breaking the Canadian Cup drought other than the Flames, and those are the Sens and the Jets. Mostly because I don't believe that Jets and Sens fans would be as insufferable in those circumstances as other fanbases might be. And because then if those other teams do win one, they won't be able to make as big a deal of it.

That said, Melnyk is starting to change my mind regarding the Sens.

Don't punish Sens fans for our terrible owner. Trust me, we hate him too.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Don't punish Sens fans for our terrible owner. Trust me, we hate him too.
f*** the Sens, no team that asks their players to lose games to guarantee the first overall pick ever deserves to win anything. That's worse than anything the Leafs have ever done.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
**** the Sens, no team that asks their players to lose games to guarantee the first overall pick ever deserves to win anything. That's worse than anything the Leafs have ever done.

Please tell me when the team actually asked their players to lose games.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Please tell me when the team actually asked their players to lose games.
For Daigle. It's common knowledge the owner at the time asked the captain to talk to the players about throwing the final game or two of the season.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
For Daigle. It's common knowledge the owner at the time asked the captain to talk to the players about throwing the final game or two of the season.
This is true, but I don't think there's anyone in the organization left from that, is there? I'd join you in holding the grudge, but I don't think there's anyone to hold it against at this point.

Reactions: Cyrano

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
This is true, but I don't think there's anyone in the organization left from that, is there? I'd join you in holding the grudge, but I don't think there's anyone to hold it against at this point.
They have the same fan base that didn't care that their team intentionally lost. That's enough for me.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary

You are talking about something that happened 25 years ago. I don't believe anyone involved in any capacity with the team at the time is involved today. And regardless, the owner asking the players to do it doesn't mean that the players or coaches actually engaged in it. Not to mention expansion drafts back then allowed teams to protect so many players that pretty much nobody halfway decent was available to be picked.

But looking at your post history it is clear that you have an irrational hatred for the Senators because you can't get past your belief that a terrible team tanked. Hell, I'll admit I was hoping the Sens would fall in the standings after it became clear they wouldn't make the playoffs. But I don't want to see them lose games on purpose, I want them to trade for futures and give prospects a chance to get some ice time. If the result of that is a higher draft pick than that isn't so bad either. And I know that there are a lot of fans of the Flames who wanted them to tank in recent years when they were not close to a playoff team so don't act like it is just an Ottawa thing. It seems to me that in the current NHL to be a champion you either need multiple high end elite talents (who almost always come from top 3-5 picks), or you need a goaltender who stands on his head during the playoffs. I would very much be in favour of the NHL changing the draft rules so that team's lottery odds get reduced if that team has won lottery picks or playoff rounds recently in hopes that it would reduce the need for a top 3 pick and therefore reduce tanking. I would also be in favour of the "most points since elimination" method of determining draft order (with some modifications) that is designed to reduce tanking. But the fact of the matter is that right now most NHL contenders got to where they are on the backs of multiple high end picks which happen to go to teams that get lucky, and nothing has been done to fix that which will always cause fans to cheer for tanks. When you cheer for a tank you aren't cheering against your team, you are cheering for a better future. It takes a hell of a lot of commitment as a fan to accept losing as something that needs to happen for your team to improve. And I'm sorry that your hatred for the Senators is so fierce that you can't resist s***ing on my team despite me being completely civil as a visitor to your teams boards.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
You are talking about something that happened 25 years ago. I don't believe anyone involved in any capacity with the team at the time is involved today. And regardless, the owner asking the players to do it doesn't mean that the players or coaches actually engaged in it. Not to mention expansion drafts back then allowed teams to protect so many players that pretty much nobody halfway decent was available to be picked.

But looking at your post history it is clear that you have an irrational hatred for the Senators because you can't get past your belief that a terrible team tanked. Hell, I'll admit I was hoping the Sens would fall in the standings after it became clear they wouldn't make the playoffs. But I don't want to see them lose games on purpose, I want them to trade for futures and give prospects a chance to get some ice time. If the result of that is a higher draft pick than that isn't so bad either. And I know that there are a lot of fans of the Flames who wanted them to tank in recent years when they were not close to a playoff team so don't act like it is just an Ottawa thing. It seems to me that in the current NHL to be a champion you either need multiple high end elite talents (who almost always come from top 3-5 picks), or you need a goaltender who stands on his head during the playoffs. I would very much be in favour of the NHL changing the draft rules so that team's lottery odds get reduced if that team has won lottery picks or playoff rounds recently in hopes that it would reduce the need for a top 3 pick and therefore reduce tanking. I would also be in favour of the "most points since elimination" method of determining draft order (with some modifications) that is designed to reduce tanking. But the fact of the matter is that right now most NHL contenders got to where they are on the backs of multiple high end picks which happen to go to teams that get lucky, and nothing has been done to fix that which will always cause fans to cheer for tanks. When you cheer for a tank you aren't cheering against your team, you are cheering for a better future. It takes a hell of a lot of commitment as a fan to accept losing as something that needs to happen for your team to improve. And I'm sorry that your hatred for the Senators is so fierce that you can't resist s***ing on my team despite me being completely civil as a visitor to your teams boards.
Here's an idea don't go to other teams boards and tell them how to feel about your team, just because I'm not a lose to win loser like the Sens and their fanbase. You asked a question, you got an answer. If you don't want to hear that your franchise is, was and always will be a f***ing joke, don't ask questions you don't want answers to.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
Here's an idea don't go to other teams boards and tell them how to feel about your team, just because I'm not a lose to win loser like the Sens and their fanbase. You asked a question, you got an answer. If you don't want to hear that your franchise is, was and always will be a ****ing joke, don't ask questions you don't want answers to.

I didn't ask your, or anyone else's opinion on the Sens. I just said don't equate ownership with the team, you were the one who decided to **** on them.

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
They have the same fan base that didn't care that their team intentionally lost. That's enough for me.
I don't think it's fair to generalize every single Sens fan under that label. Especially considering any fans 35 and under won't even have been old enough to know or be fans at that point

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary

I would also like to see the team something like the team with the most points since elimination or something of that nature. I also don’t mind the wheel idea, I think that’s the most fair.

Anyways I like the Jets, Laine, Schief, Ehlers, Connor, Buff are all really fun players to watch and I love the style the Jets play.

The Sens right now I currently dislike because of their owners.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad