“Let’s avoid turning into the soft skilled, choke artist Leafs”

*hires Keefe*

I think I’m going to be sick. Absolutely not what this team needs

Reactions: McDuffz88

Devils Pride 26

BrickCityHockey*****
Jan 12, 2008
NJ
luckily that’s just overly simplistic bullshit narrative and he’s a solid coach in the real world.
This group needs a mf’er for a few years to push back on some of the egos developing here.

Don’t necessarily have to be a “screamer”, that wasn’t Lemaire, for example. But he got through to his players to fundamentally change how they played the game. What he did for Kovalchuk was one of the greatest coaching successes ever seen shame how it ended with Kovy.

Keefe’s “everybody have fun” game 7 message makes me want to crawl in a hole and die.

Reactions: Richer's Ghost

beekay414

Jul 1, 2016
Milwaukee, WI
No, we don't need a "MFer." We need a coach that has structure within a defensive system that isn't just pure lunacy like Ruff's was but that also doesn't complete neuter the offensive ability of our team. Keefe can do that. We don't need to completely overcorrect because that's just pure reactionary bullshit. Get the best coach for the sake of getting the best coach. Right now? Keefe's the best coach on the market.

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
You can't just yell and suddenly your defensemen learn how to play.

Keefe was a miracle worker with the trash the leafs threw out on defense. Edmondson, 40yo Giordano, Klingberg, etc.
Need someone that can work with Bahl, Hughes, and Nemec.

Kovalchuk usage was from DeBoer. Another players' coach that was very smart with tactics.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
Good on them!

Personally, I don’t care about NHL coaching experience or the need to recycle someone because they’ve coached in the NHL before. I just want them to find the right coach because if we’re in the same situation again in three or four years with the team not succeeding, then what’s the point?

I know this is a pipe dream, but I would love for the team to find their version of Bednar or Cooper, a coach that the team can grow with. Now I know these are unicorns who had success in other leagues before coming to the NHL and the exception not the rule, but I would love for them to find someone like that.

So I would interview anyone and everyone including David Carle, Jon Gruden, Karl Taylor, Marco Sturm And make sure to leave no stone unturned before deciding.

Keefe is literally that. He's won in other leagues and he'd be someone this team can grow with. But like as others have mentioned, he has risks, but none of these options don't have some kind of downside so it's whatever to me.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
The people who are anti Brind'Amour are nuts. Yes, they're down 0-3. But, they also have gone to OT twice and they controlling stretches of play. The Rangers have the better players. The only reason it's close is Rod (and the Canes' commitment to executing his system).

Meanwhile, the only way I see Keefe in Pitt is if Sullivan resigns on his own. Even then, it's a gamble for Dubas to bring in his buddy after a string of high profile flops.

Dubas and Keefe may be reunited, but I think Keefe has to go earn his stripes somewhere else (NJ?) first.

He doesn’t have a PP coach, so Brind’Amour is responsible for it.
Bad news is it’s sucked in the playoffs but it was the 2nd best in the regular season (26.91%).

Devils Pride 26

BrickCityHockey*****
Jan 12, 2008
NJ
You can't just yell and suddenly your defensemen learn how to play.

Keefe was a miracle worker with the trash the leafs threw out on defense. Edmondson, 40yo Giordano, Klingberg, etc.
Need someone that can work with Bahl, Hughes, and Nemec.

Kovalchuk usage was from DeBoer. Another players' coach that was very smart with tactics.
Who said anything about yelling? One thing you can do to help your defensemen is install values like back checking so they can step easier and on a miss, they have immediate help. Demand more of this forward group.

Without Lemaire, kovalchuk would’ve NEVER been able to be used how he was under DeBoer. Killing penalties, etc. It was one of the greatest transformations I’ve ever witnessed.

DeBoer is an excellent coach. He was even better for a group of veterans that had tasted some success and knew how to play. This group is about the antithesis of that. A drill sergeant is needed.

Reactions: Whaddagoal

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Who said anything about yelling? One thing you can do to help your defensemen is install values like back checking so they can step easier and on a miss, they have immediate help. Demand more of this forward group.

Without Lemaire, kovalchuk would’ve NEVER been able to be used how he was under DeBoer. Killing penalties, etc. It was one of the greatest transformations I’ve ever witnessed.

DeBoer is an excellent coach. He was even better for a group of veterans that had tasted some success and knew how to play. This group is about the antithesis of that. A drill sergeant is needed.
What metrics are you looking at that show Keefe to be a poor defensive coach? Public enemy number 1 in their core Mitch Marner turned into a top 3 Selke candidate under Keefe. Matthews was also one of the best two way forwards in the league while scoring over 60 goals.

Kovalchuk sucked defensively even under DeBoer btw. Far worse than someone like Bratt who you hate.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007

I do not understand why people think killing penalties is the apotheosis of defensive play. Pavel Bure was notoriously awful defensively and killed penalties. Meanwhile Holik was great defensively and hardly did it in New Jersey. It's just a totally different game 4v5, but any forward can do it, especially used as Kovalchuk was, late in penalty kills, and almost always changing on the fly.

That said, Kovalchuk didn't transform - they got him to skate around in the D zone without the puck. That was an alteration to his game for sure, as he used to stand almost stationary waiting for the correct breakout pass, but Kovalchuk was still lousy defensively and a terrible F1 forechecker, which also impacted his defense.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
Why do you want him removed from the crew?

1715438877461.jpeg

Reactions: Guttersniped
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad