2018 ohl draft April 7th

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Just for fun, no player commitment concerns really factored in outside Perfetti and Stranges

1. Sudbury: Quinton Byfield (YSE)
2. Flint: Jamie Drysdale (Marlboros)
3. Peterborough: Lleyton Moore (Marlboros)
4. Erie: Owen Power (Reps)
5. Saginaw: Evan Vierling (YSE)
6. Ottawa 67's: Dylan Peterson (CIHA Ottawa)
7. Guelph Storm: Daniil Chayka (JRC)
8. Mississauga Steelheads: Cameron Tolnai (Oakville)
9. North Bay Battalion: Jean-Luc Foudy (Titans)
10. Windsor Spitifires: Ryan O'Rourke (Vaughan)
I’ll bet with a good amount of money that the only defender erie would take in round 1 is Drysdale and that will be because the few rumors out there are true that he and Erie have some mutual agreement. Would sort of push Erie into taking him given his status as being among in many people’s mind a consensus top 3 or so player in the draft. Other than that though it’s forward all the way for Erie. History suggests it for them and it’s more of their need. They especially don’t need another left shot defender. Power makes no sense for Erie at 4.

Mock drafts are too difficult in this league. If I had to make one though..
Sudbury - Byfield
Flint - Drysdale
Peterborough - Vierling
Erie - Tolnai

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
I’ll bet with a good amount of money that the only defender erie would take in round 1 is Drysdale and that will be because the few rumors out there are true that he and Erie have some mutual agreement. Would sort of push Erie into taking him given his status as being among in many people’s mind a consensus top 3 or so player in the draft. Other than that though it’s forward all the way for Erie. History suggests it for them and it’s more of their need. They especially don’t need another left shot defender. Power makes no sense for Erie at 4.

Mock drafts are too difficult in this league. If I had to make one though..
Sudbury - Byfield
Flint - Drysdale
Peterborough - Vierling
Erie - Tolnai
Find it highly unlikely Flint takes a D either. Especially one who has NCAA talk surrounding him. Unless something actually does go down with Byfield refusing to report which seems less and less likely then I expect them to take Vierling or maybe Cuylle.

foghorn

Nov 4, 2017
I really do not think Flint takes Drysdale.
interesting thought...i believe that teams know next years draft isnt as deep and to get a quartback stud dman would be hard to pass up i think with flints already good load of young talent but ive been wrong before lol

foghorn

Nov 4, 2017
Just for fun, no player commitment concerns really factored in outside Perfetti and Stranges

1. Sudbury: Quinton Byfield (YSE)
2. Flint: Jamie Drysdale (Marlboros)
3. Peterborough: Lleyton Moore (Marlboros)
4. Erie: Owen Power (Reps)
5. Saginaw: Evan Vierling (YSE)
6. Ottawa 67's: Dylan Peterson (CIHA Ottawa)
7. Guelph Storm: Daniil Chayka (JRC)
8. Mississauga Steelheads: Cameron Tolnai (Oakville)
9. North Bay Battalion: Jean-Luc Foudy (Titans)
10. Windsor Spitifires: Ryan O'Rourke (Vaughan)
nice job thanks...id have cuylle somewhere in 3-5 as well

Square Corners

Mar 1, 2018
Find it highly unlikely Flint takes a D either. Especially one who has NCAA talk surrounding him. Unless something actually does go down with Byfield refusing to report which seems less and less likely then I expect them to take Vierling or maybe Cuylle.

Erie needs to take someone who 100% will come to them as they have no 2nd/4th/5th in this draft. Lots of pressure on their 1st round pick to hit

buzzworthy

Jan 14, 2014
For what it is worth, Drysdale was in Erie last weekend with his mother, father, Dave Brown, and Jim Waters. He was smiling, as was his parents. He saw one hell of a game, with Erie tying the game in the last few seconds and then winning, with Fowler leading the way. There were over 5,000 fans there, doing their Erie thing. If that didn't get his blood flowing, I don't know what would. I think he was impressed. I think he will be an Otter.

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Erie needs to take someone who 100% will come to them as they have no 2nd/4th/5th in this draft. Lots of pressure on their 1st round pick to hit
As long as they aren’t going after someone like Perfetti or a college commit, they should have no problem. They aren’t in position to take a huge risk but there is 3/4 names that will available when they pick that are top tier names that will easily be justified if they pick them. Don’t think they will have a problem getting their first rounder to commit..
They do have 2 third rounders this year. In fact this is the best picks they have had since like 2015 draft. Not much pressure if they keep doing what they have been doing

Square Corners

Mar 1, 2018
As long as they aren’t going after someone like Perfetti or a college commit, they should have no problem. They aren’t in position to take a huge risk but there is 3/4 names that will available when they pick that are top tier names that will easily be justified if they pick them. Don’t think they will have a problem getting their first rounder to commit..
They do have 2 third rounders this year. In fact this is the best picks they have had since like 2015 draft. Not much pressure if they keep doing what they have been doing

IMO they cant afford to take a D-man in the 1st round. There will be good D left in the 3rd round but how many impact F's come out of the 3rd round? There are always some examples, but on average it's a far smaller number. Go scoring F in round 1 and then D in round 3. That's my opinion anyways

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
IMO they cant afford to take a D-man in the 1st round. There will be good D left in the 3rd round but how many impact F's come out of the 3rd round? There are always some examples, but on average it's a far smaller number. Go scoring F in round 1 and then D in round 3. That's my opinion anyways
I agree that’s why I have them taking a forward and want them to draft a forward. And why I think the only possible exception would be Drysdale but I have my doubts that he will even get pass the 2nd/3rd pick for Erie to even have the option to take him. Erie hasn’t taken an defender in round 1 in like 10 years. Meanwhile in recent years, sambrook, Raddysh, Dermott, as examples were all later picks

ForestCityHky

Feb 15, 2018
my guess

Chayka not included

did not put in committed / rumoured NCAA interested players like Petersen Perfetti Evangelesta. Teams dont seem to take them as often

1 Wolves Byfield
2 Firebirds Power
3 Petes Moore
4 Erie Tolnai
5 Spirit Vierling
6 67s Culye
7 Storm Halliday
8 Steelheads Drysdale
9 Battalion Orourke
10 Spitfires Foudy
11 Generals Perfetti
12 Icedogs Barnes
13 Frontenacs Peters
14 Knights Robinson
15 Attack Valade
16 Colts Hardie
17 Rangers Bianconi
18 Bulldogs Butler
19 Sting Morison
20 Hounds Tulio

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
interesting thought...i believe that teams know next years draft isnt as deep and to get a quartback stud dman would be hard to pass up i think with flints already good load of young talent but ive been wrong before lol
Well, their year to go for it will be 2020. At which point they will have OA Gordeev? 19yo Busby, 19yo McCourt, 18yo Gretz and 18yo Pilon. Next year they are sure to have OA Nilsen in the fold and possibly even Alexandrov. Quite a logjam next year and if Gordeev is around as an OA that's an awfully solid group to take a run at it with. They need to get going next year and then be all in the year after. Setting aside it's still Flint and the NCAA rumors...Is Drysdale ready to make that big of an impact at 16 and 17? Having him develop into a superstar D at 18 or 19 doesn't really work for the Firebirds very well. I just think a top flight forward will have more of an impact and a quicker transition to the O at 16 and 17. Not to mention that Drysdale to Erie talk with the visit and all makes a lot of sense to me. I could see him dissing Flint to land in Erie before I could see him bailing on UofM to land in Flint.

foghorn

Nov 4, 2017
Well, their year to go for it will be 2020. At which point they will have OA Gordeev? 19yo Busby, 19yo McCourt, 18yo Gretz and 18yo Pilon. Next year they are sure to have OA Nilsen in the fold and possibly even Alexandrov. Quite a logjam next year and if Gordeev is around as an OA that's an awfully solid group to take a run at it with. They need to get going next year and then be all in the year after. Setting aside it's still Flint and the NCAA rumors...Is Drysdale ready to make that big of an impact at 16 and 17? Having him develop into a superstar D at 18 or 19 doesn't really work for the Firebirds very well. I just think a top flight forward will have more of an impact and a quicker transition to the O at 16 and 17. Not to mention that Drysdale to Erie talk with the visit and all makes a lot of sense to me. I could see him dissing Flint to land in Erie before I could see him bailing on UofM to land in Flint.
imo he'd be your best d at 17 could have played this year and not look poor his skating and puck movement is that good

cub

Apr 11, 2012
my guess

Chayka not included

did not put in committed / rumoured NCAA interested players like Petersen Perfetti Evangelesta. Teams dont seem to take them as often

1 Wolves Byfield
2 Firebirds Power
3 Petes Moore
4 Erie Tolnai
5 Spirit Vierling
6 67s Culye
7 Storm Halliday
8 Steelheads Drysdale
9 Battalion Orourke
10 Spitfires Foudy
11 Generals Perfetti
12 Icedogs Barnes
13 Frontenacs Peters
14 Knights Robinson
15 Attack Valade
16 Colts Hardie
17 Rangers Bianconi
18 Bulldogs Butler
19 Sting Morison
20 Hounds Tulio

Ty Tullio is the son of Rocco Tulio, owner of the Oshawa Generals, you would think he try to get him on his team.

ForestCityHky

Feb 15, 2018
Ty Tullio is the son of Rocco Tulio, owner of the Oshawa Generals, you would think he try to get him on his team.
thats the other clear option for Oshawa. Could happen. Had Tulio there before I changed it Perfeti.

Reactions: cub

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
The Petes selecting Moore 3rd overall is a bit of a head scratcher for me.

The Petes are already deep in young Dmen (2000's - Chisholm, Beraldo, McNamara, Babintsev; 2001 - Supryka).

I could be wrong, but I can't see them drafting a Dman in the 1st round.

They also have the 9th pick in the CHL import draft. These two picks will be in the lineup for the Petes next year (assuming nothing funny happens). Will one of these be a Dman or will both be forwards?

The one nice piece of leverage the Petes have is the Russian connection. Whether it's a 2002 Russian player who is eligible in the OHL entry draft (like SDA, Gogolev, Korostelev) or a 2001 Russian player who is drafted by an NHL team prior to the CHL draft in June, the player would have to feel pretty good about joining the Petes with 3 fellow countrymen already here to help with the transition.

Say what you want about Oke, but those picks were gold. Hopefully he has some more of that same magic up his sleeve in the 2018 drafts.

Bra Wavers

Feb 19, 2016
Speaking of Russians........has a verdict been reached regarding the Daniil Chayka and Andrei Bakanov OHL entry draft eligibility question?

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
Flint cannot afford a pick not showing up. It is essential to get a very talented forward/center into the lineup immediately. That is why Vierling or Cuylle sound like the perfect fit.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
Flint cannot afford a pick not showing up. It is essential to get a very talented forward/center into the lineup immediately. That is why Vierling or Cuylle sound like the perfect fit.

Dylan Robinson looks like a viable pick too.

GangGreen

May 27, 2012
I’m somewhat confused (as usual) lol
Which is the Dylan Robinson being discussed here?
This one
Dylan Robinson
Or this one?
Dylan Robinson

The first says he shoots right, but shows a picture of a LH shooter. And the one who plays for the Jr Canadians just won the OHL Cup, which would have to make him an ‘02 birthdate would it not? Do they have players mixed up here?

Last edited:
Reactions: zman77

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
I’m somewhat confused (as usual) lol
Which is the Dylan Robinson being discussed here?
This one
Dylan Robinson
Or this one?
Dylan Robinson

The first says he shoots right, but shows a picture of a LH shooter. And the one who plays for the Jr Canadians just won the OHL Cup, which would have to make him an ‘02 birthdate would it not? Do they have players mixed up here?

Yeah it's the right shot '01 one. They have it wrong he should be a left shot and an '02

Reactions: zman77 and TheCoach

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad