2018 ohl draft April 7th

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015
Below was posted today on the Hockey Writers by Brett Slawson: A Writer covering the Toronto Maple Leafs and NHL Prospects, Brett Slawson is also a credentialed Writer with the Ontario Hockey League's Mississauga Steelheads.

https://thehockeywriters.com/2018-ohl-draft-ranking-top-20/

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"The Sudbury Wolves may have hit the jackpot. Sure, the Wolves finished last in the Ontario Hockey League this season, however, Sudbury and other franchises who played to disappointment throughout the 2017-18 campaign now stand poised to reap the rewards made possible by an incredibly deep and talented class of incoming prospects. With a wealth of insanely talented forwards, defencemen, and goaltenders all available, each OHL team will boast the ability to nab a game-changing prospect in the blink of an eye come Apr. 7. And, when the 2018 OHL Priority Selection commences, it will undoubtedly be led by Quinton Byfield. As an exceptional athlete who owns eye-watering speed, an overpowering shot, and innate offensive instincts, Byfield’s raw physicality and ability to think the game at a high pace has placed him well above his fellow teammates and rivals.

Sure to follow Byfield is a slew of incredibly promising forwards and defenders, all of which boasting the potential to become elite players at the OHL-level and beyond. Although a handful of which could opt to play in the National Collegiate Athletic Association in the future, these prospects will remain immensely valuable and attractive to OHL clubs come draft day."

The Top-20

Well, here they are, the top 20 prospects available in the rapidly approaching 2018 OHL Priority Selection.
Now, it goes without saying that this ranking is based strictly upon my personal opinion, so debate and discourse are not only welcomed but encouraged. If you would like to discuss any particular player or a specific segment of this ranking, feel free to do so in the comments below.

RankPlayerPosition2017-18 Team (Minor Midget)
1Quinton ByfieldCYork Simcoe Express
2Jamie DrysdaleDToronto Marlboros
3Cole Perfetti*C/RWVaughan Kings
4Antonio Stranges*CDetroit Little Caesars U16
5Lleyton MooreDToronto Marlboros
6Dylan Peterson*CCIH Academy White
7Ryan O’RourkeDVaughan Kings
8Cameron TolnaiCOakville Rangers
9Will CuylleLWToronto Marlboros
10Owen PowerDMississauga Reps
11Evan VierlingCYork Simcoe Express
12Stephen HallidayWToronto Marlboros
13James HardieLWBarrie Jr. Colts
14Ty CollinsWYork Simcoe Express
15Reid ValadeCToronto Marlboros
16Logan MorrisonRWGuelph Jr. Gryphons
17Cameron ButlerRWYork Simcoe Express
18Zack TerryDOakville Rangers
19Cam PetersCToronto Marlboros
20Ty TullioC/LWVaughan Kings
* Indicates player committed to NCAA
** Daniil Chayka and Andrei Bakanov have yet to secure eligibility.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

0 FACEBOOK COMMENTS
Details here...
Bobby Orr's Landmark Season

The Best NHL Contracts On All 31 Teams

LOS ANGELES KINGS
Hart Trophy Within Reach for Kopitar

ST LOUIS BLUES
Blues Playoff Bid Could Rely on Rival Blackhawks

BOSTON BRUINS
Bruins’ Loss to Blue Jackets: 3 Takeaways

NEW JERSEY DEVILS
Can Devils’ Kinkaid Stay Hot?

INTERNATIONAL HOCKEY
Finns Flash in Today’s NHL

WASHINGTON CAPITALS
Capitals’ Boyd Reflects on First Point, Making the Cut

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Mike Mackley tweets he is hearing Daniil Chayka gets eligibility for the OHL Draft. I could see the Petes grabbing him over Moore now.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Chayka's an interesting one. I'm really not a fan of his at all, I don't think he makes good decisions and really don't think he thinks the game well, but it only takes 1 team that loves him to determine his value. Wonder how high he goes after having a pretty good OHL cup

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
Somebody save me the trouble of flipping through the 27 pages of this thread an tell me the date of the draft...excuse me, the Priority Selection. Thanks!

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Chayka's an interesting one. I'm really not a fan of his at all, I don't think he makes good decisions and really don't think he thinks the game well, but it only takes 1 team that loves him to determine his value. Wonder how high he goes after having a pretty good OHL cup
General , Brock Otten really liked this kid. Says on twitter he thinks he could step right into any OHL blue line and right fit in. Guess everyone has different opinions on players but that is his. What did you see in his game that was lacking just out of interest? Always good to have a different view.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
General , Brock Otten really liked this kid. Says on twitter he thinks he could step right into any OHL blue line and right fit in. Guess everyone has different opinions on players but that is his. What did you see in his game that was lacking just out of interest? Always good to have a different view.

It depends when you've seen him I guess. If you watched the OHL cup (I know Brock was there) then you'd like him a lot more than if you watched round 1 of the GTHL playoffs against the Rebels. In the OHL Cup I found he was a lot more passive and played defence a lot more whereas the 3 games in the Rebels series that I was at, he was constantly pinching at bad times nad getting caught and kept jumping up into the play when it didn't make sense to and MISS would be gone 3-on-1 the other way. That's why I questioned his hockey sense, didn't seem like he understands when to/when not to jump and/or pinch. Although he was a lot better at the OHL Cup so maybe his decision making got drastically better in the 3 weeks between the Rebels series and the OHL Cup lol

I'm also pretty sure the first game I seen him play (game 1 vs Rebels in round 1) was the worst game he's ever played, so that also has a bad taste in my mouth as a first impression. He must've turned it over with lazy breakout passes at least 5/6 times and 2 of them were goals against in the 3rd to get MISS back in the game. So maybe I'm still tainted by that a bit too

I still think he's a late 1st/early 2nd rounder. But that high in the draft I'd be taking a forward and I'd also be taking Drysdale/Power before him and I'd strongly think about O'Rourke before him too

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
Chayka didn't stand out for me throughout the year much to be a top ten pick. He did play better in the ohl cup. As for Power, aside from his size I don't get what people see in him. Seen him play only a couple times. Didn't use his body, couldn't move the puck and had too many turnovers.

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
How would you sum up Byfields OHL cup? What were his final stats at the end of the season? and how big a gap between him and number 2. Would really appreciate the feedback.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
How would you sum up Byfields OHL cup? What were his final stats at the end of the season? and how big a gap between him and number 2. Would really appreciate the feedback.
Don Cherry talked a bit about him during the intermission last night in the OHL Cup final. Basically said he has to learn when to go and when not to but he is heads and tails better than any one else in this draft by far.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017

He was good but not great at the OHL Cup I thought. He finished the season with 92 points (48 G, 44 A) in 34 games. He's head and shoulders the #1 pick IMO

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
Still not eligible as of right now. What you thinking Billoink?
Liking his size, stats worth a serious look 2nd round. Unlike chayka he has played 2 yrs in the USA however still waiting status. Could be a real sleeper.

Reactions: cub

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Does anyone have a top 5-10 for goalies?
I've asked this question on this thread a couple of times - I will assume at this point nobody on here scouts goalies, not a big deal. Would there be any suggestions on where I could find a list for the goalies, hopefully a free list? Sorry to bug you guys, I do really enjoy this thread.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
I've asked this question on this thread a couple of times - I will assume at this point nobody on here scouts goalies, not a big deal. Would there be any suggestions on where I could find a list for the goalies, hopefully a free list? Sorry to bug you guys, I do really enjoy this thread.

I was interested in this too. I think scouting goalies at this age must be the hardest thing to come to a decision and to make a list, so quite possible no one has an answer of a list because of this.

the dog

May 16, 2014
Tristan Lennox could be a first round pick...some top goalies incl Marco Constantini vaughan.....Joe Vrbetic don mills....Christian Linton guelph........William craig petes

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london

I had the same gut fell (althou limited views- only OHL Cup)
I liked some other D ahead of him. Size obviously is a factor and projecting next level effectiveness but Im not sold.

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010

A lot of guys in this thread see the top guys half a dozen to a dozen times, myself included. Chayka had a really great game in the ohl cup finals, and played a good ohlcup in general. I can definitely see being enamoured with him if you haven't seen him have a bad game. Correct me if i'm wrong, but Brock's impression was based only on the ohlcup. Just trying to add some perspective here.

Along the same lines, there were players who didn't close out the season in an inspiring fashion, but are still top players(Gucciardi comes to mind).

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
Had this thought watching O'Rourke vs Chayka: Chayka needs to reign his game in(overhandling, losing position too frequently) and O'Rourke needs to take over more often.

Reactions: aresknights

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad