2018 ohl draft April 7th

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
It depends when you've seen him I guess. If you watched the OHL cup (I know Brock was there) then you'd like him a lot more than if you watched round 1 of the GTHL playoffs against the Rebels. In the OHL Cup I found he was a lot more passive and played defence a lot more whereas the 3 games in the Rebels series that I was at, he was constantly pinching at bad times nad getting caught and kept jumping up into the play when it didn't make sense to and MISS would be gone 3-on-1 the other way. That's why I questioned his hockey sense, didn't seem like he understands when to/when not to jump and/or pinch. Although he was a lot better at the OHL Cup so maybe his decision making got drastically better in the 3 weeks between the Rebels series and the OHL Cup lol

I'm also pretty sure the first game I seen him play (game 1 vs Rebels in round 1) was the worst game he's ever played, so that also has a bad taste in my mouth as a first impression. He must've turned it over with lazy breakout passes at least 5/6 times and 2 of them were goals against in the 3rd to get MISS back in the game. So maybe I'm still tainted by that a bit too

I still think he's a late 1st/early 2nd rounder. But that high in the draft I'd be taking a forward and I'd also be taking Drysdale/Power before him and I'd strongly think about O'Rourke before him too

I should have probably looked up thread before writing something redundant ;)

Reactions: Generalsupdates

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
A lot of guys in this thread see the top guys half a dozen to a dozen times, myself included. Chayka had a really great game in the ohl cup finals, and played a good ohlcup in general. I can definitely see being enamoured with him if you haven't seen him have a bad game. Correct me if i'm wrong, but Brock's impression was based only on the ohlcup. Just trying to add some perspective here.

Along the same lines, there were players who didn't close out the season in an inspiring fashion, but are still top players(Gucciardi comes to mind).

Only saw most of one game but I liked Gucciardi as a D with a slant towards the O side of things. Not a top 10 pick or anything but a kid that could def help a clubs O from the D position.
ORourke was another that jumped out at me immediately. Renwick also.

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
So with Chayka now being eligible, this is what my top 10 Dmen looks like right now:

1. Drysdale/Moore
2. Drysdale/Moore
3. Ryan O'Rourke
4. Owen Power
5. Daniil Chayka
6. Spencer Evans
7. Michael Renwick
8. Jake Murray
9. David Gucciardi
10. Jacob Truscott

HM(all these guys are right there): Jack Thompson, Donovan Sebrango, Pacey Schlueting, Michael Bianconi

Reactions: Wolfman Jack

Petey3329

May 27, 2008
I find it hard to believe ty collins going over butler or a slew of other forwards. He’s good but I feel like he is a product of his line. Might just be my opinion but I don’t see 1st round talent there. Hopefully he proves me wrong and has an awesome career

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
So with Chayka now being eligible, this is what my top 10 Dmen looks like right now:

1. Drysdale/Moore
2. Drysdale/Moore
3. Ryan O'Rourke
4. Owen Power
5. Daniil Chayka
6. Spencer Evans
7. Michael Renwick
8. Jake Murray
9. David Gucciardi
10. Jacob Truscott

HM(all these guys are right there): Jack Thompson, Donovan Sebrango, Pacey Schlueting, Michael Bianconi

Not a bad list. I'd have Jack Terry (Oakville) in the top 10 too, I think he's going to be really good

Daneurism

Nov 13, 2010
I don't think teams are going to want to miss out on the high end talent available at D and especially F, in this draft-not a comment on the top goalies, who I think are better than the 00 and 01 crop. Also, there's depth to the goalies in this draft, so I think teams will think they can wait to get a guy.

nothappy

Jun 26, 2015
Had this thought watching O'Rourke vs Chayka: Chayka needs to reign his game in(overhandling, losing position too frequently) and O'Rourke needs to take over more often.

great observation, now if you were scouting for an OHL team do want a player you have to push or a player you can pull back.
just a question.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
I find it hard to believe ty collins going over butler or a slew of other forwards. He’s good but I feel like he is a product of his line. Might just be my opinion but I don’t see 1st round talent there. Hopefully he proves me wrong and has an awesome career
He kind of a product of his line but he works hard in the corners to feed Byfield. He is a second rounder IMO. Butler late first early second.

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
JRC have a very strong D corps.

Chayka, Bianconi, Spearing and Parekh is probably the best top 4 of any team in MM hockey.
I still take the marlies. Can't go wrong with Moore and drysdale and I still think Wong is not far behind them. I would argue right now he is a top ten D IMO. Very few mistakes. Great skater, makes the right plays and plays position very well. Moves the puck up at the right times and doesn't give it away very often. As for fera and enero, they are decent but the other three are on a different level

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
I don't think teams are going to want to miss out on the high end talent available at D and especially F, in this draft-not a comment on the top goalies, who I think are better than the 00 and 01 crop. Also, there's depth to the goalies in this draft, so I think teams will think they can wait to get a guy.
Ok - thanks, that helps.

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
Has Bakanov been confirmed yet for the draft? Being a 2001 birth date , would he not then be eligible then for the import draft? Has Chayka been confirmed?

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Has Bakanov been confirmed yet for the draft? Being a 2001 birth date , would he not then be eligible then for the import draft? Has Chayka been confirmed?

Bakanov has not been confirmed. Chayka has been reported to be accepted. The youngest you can draft in the import draft is an '01. Can't draft a true rookie age for it

BigBuck

Jan 26, 2012
Josh Barnes from Cornwall is a pretty good player, Scored the double OT winner tonight in the CCHL playoffs 2g and 3a in 5 games he's played....Not sure where he is ranked but he has looked pretty good.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Bakanov is an 02. import draft next year

Please clarify if you can. He’s played in North America the last two years. Did he reside here as well or go back to Russia after?

If he resided here, I would figure he would qualify for the Draft as a North American.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad